GWTW Forum
December 09, 2016, 07:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold weather and kites??  (Read 3009 times)
awa54
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 02, 2015, 03:19 PM »

I have seen quite a few vids of folks flying with snow on the ground, but I'm wondering how much below freezing temperatures affect the flexibility of fiberglass and carbon fiber rods...  I remember seeing a corvette that shattered a fender in a parking incident when it was single digit (F) weather, so it must have some affect.

What are your experiences?

-David
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:15 PM »

I have flown kites in the winter for several years now as that is the time of more wind here in the mountains.  I have not seen any issues other than ice on the lines from ground contact.  I do like snow flurries as it actually allows you to "see the wind".  Broken spars have been from strong sudden gusts or unexpected landings.  Now that I have vented kites the gusts are not so daunting & most of my landings are planned.  I also carry kites in the car trunk in hot summers with no apparent issues, so far.... SHBKF

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
Hadge
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42 AM »

Never had any problem with the cold effecting the carbonfibre/fibreglass rods themselves, only extra breakages have been due hard landings on frozen ground. If your kites have nylon sails, they can get waterlogged in the snow which effects the flight.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tcope
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:49 PM »

I remember seeing a corvette that shattered a fender in a parking incident when it was single digit (F) weather, so it must have some affect.

With hundreds of thousands of Corvettes on the road, if this were an issue I think we'd hear a lot more about it.

There are a ton of winter kite festivals every year. We are talking even in the heart of Canada (on frozen lakes).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
kite-and-friends
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53 AM »

Some years ago - about 15 years - a kiteflyer reported to me that he was in the antarctis at a Research Station. Here he went out with good clothing in very cold air - it was lower than minus 40 degrees when I remenber right - and was flying a stuntkite. It was a normal beginner stuntkite with dyneema lines, a HQ Chico and it performed well in this enviroment without any damage.

This gives hope for our normal flying in the snow, right?

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+5)

Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:02 PM »

Does it matter? If it is a good day to fly, Then Fly! I have never had any problems with cold effecting kites. With that said, kites break, and then we fix them.
Sporting equipment gets beat up, it is the nature of engaging life.
Kites in unused condition are just that.
@

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom