GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 04:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying the HQ Breeze  (Read 2106 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 06, 2013, 01:28 PM »

I finally got a chance to go out and fly my newly acquired Breeze. I'm told it's old-school style -- curved leading edges, doesn't do flippy tricks, that sort of thing. I had a great time and it took to the light, variable, inland winds very well. However, I had a couple problems I could use some advice on.

First, I ended up losing both wingtip tensioners. The outer standoffs (short, downward pointing ones way out near the tips, almost like winglets) kept the sail fairly tensioned and in the air, but those cords were nowhere to be found. They looked like the tensioners you can see on this (Kite Life) thread, in Rob's (Must86's) response. Made (I presume) of bridle line, a loop went in the nock, then the line went back through the sail's loop, then a knot pulled over the nock.

I'm guessing the knot slipped though the nock, and eventually the whole thing just fell out. On both sides. I have some 170# bridle line on hand, more than enough to replace it, but I don't want to keep losing these. Is there a better way? Is it as simple as doubling up the knot, or is there a more secure tensioning method?

Second...I don't know how to trick this kite. Well, I don't know how to trick in general, but I can axel, spin axel, and half axel my Nirvana and SF, and am working on slots and two-pop HAs to start cascading. None of these skills transferred to the Breeze. What am I doing wrong? (I know, without a video, this is a very open ended question.) I assume it's because the kite is a very different style, not necessarily because it's lighter. (Though that probably means softer inputs all around, that didn't seem to be my problem.) Snaps to start an axel just pulled the kite into awkward orientations. I tried softer pulls, but with same-ish results. (The good news is that this kite loves to recover in the air. Not too many walks of shame in my first hour.) Any general tips for transferring from these newer polyvalent kites to an older one like the Breeze?

Edit: A suggestion I gleaned from chat was, indeed, much softer inputs. Working my way up from the lightest touch, rather than down from the aggressive inputs my other kites like.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:25 PM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45 PM »

The tensioners should be easy enough to make as they are just bridle line.  If you stick to the original HQ set up - loop around the nock, through the sail loop and pull the knotted end back through the nock to tension - just add a suitable vinyl end cap over the nock to stop the line pulling out again.

If the Breeze is anything like the Shadow you need to guide the kite into what you want it to do rather than pop n' pull like you use on standard kites - gentle, gentle, gentle. It takes a while to adjust if you haven't used (S)UL before.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:49 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:43 AM »

, I ended up losing both wingtip tensioners. The outer standoffs (short, downward pointing ones way out near the tips, almost like winglets) kept the sail fairly tensioned and in the air, but those cords were nowhere to be found. They looked like the tensioners you can see on this (Kite Life) thread, in Rob's (Must86's) response. Made (I presume) of bridle line, a loop went in the nock, then the line went back through the sail's loop, then a knot pulled over the nock.

I'm guessing the knot slipped though the nock, and eventually the whole thing just fell out. On both sides. I have some 170# bridle line on hand, more than enough to replace it, but I don't want to keep losing these. Is there a better way? Is it as simple as doubling up the knot, or is there a more secure tensioning method?

Don't just make a pigtail for those tensioners and insert it through the leading edge, it'll fall out as you experienced. Cut two pieces of line the right length but don't tie them, put one end through the hole or tab then loop around and insert it through again, even both ends then tie your knot. Now you can pull the loop to put over the nock then pull the knot to tighten and secure it. You should split the line at the knot over the nock then push the knot into the nock if possible to eliminate that as a snag point. No more lost tensioners, no more snag points to facilitate tip wraps   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:46 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
red sweater

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Don't just make a pigtail for those tensioners and insert it through the leading edge, it'll fall out as you experienced. Cut two pieces of line the right length but don't tie them, put one end through the hole or tab then loop around and insert it through again, even both ends then tie your knot. Now you can pull the loop to put over the nock then pull the knot to tighten and secure it. You should split the line at the knot over the nock then push the knot into the nock if possible to eliminate that as a snag point. No more lost tensioners, no more snag points to facilitate tip wraps   Smiley

I felt like such an idiot when someone up thread mentioned end caps. Duh, all my other kites have them. (Clearly I don't fly them often enough.) But this is a great idea, too, as long as I don't bang up the exposed nocks.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum