GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocius Sul Time  (Read 1278 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: May 06, 2013, 06:33 PM »

The wind did not exsist.  We went to a kite festival earlier in the day,  Took over 2 hrs to get there.  Wind was crazy.  My wife and I left early. another 2 .15 hrs.  When we got home I called the Beach wind number. Wind was 2 mph... I was already packed up.  Another 25 minutes didn't much matter at this point.  Wind died out by the time I got there.  So it was Ocius Sul time....

JT is working on my AURA maybe soon.  I am very excited abut comparing the AURA to the Ocius Sul...

I love this SUL ... so much...  My Widow Maker Ul was flying in much lower winds than the Talon Ul.  I could have adjusted the bridle for one more knot.  I think The Difference between a Talon Ul and Ocius Sul is HUGE.... ragarding wind range...

Just some peaceful flying...

Trythree

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Dang it. Cant watch it on ipad
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19 PM »

JT is working on my AURA maybe soon.  I am very excited abut comparing the AURA to the Ocius Sul...

I love this SUL ... so much...  My Widow Maker Ul was flying in much lower winds than the Talon Ul.  I could have adjusted the bridle for one more knot.  I think The Difference between a Talon Ul and Ocius Sul is HUGE.... ragarding wind range...

Joe,
Looks like you made the most out of flying in a very light breeze.

The Talon UL is more like a light standard. I agree a SUL vs. a light standard is a HUGH wind range.

The Talon does not have the low wind capability of a true UL like the WM. But it can trick like a standard at lower winds that a standard.

For me these kites serve very different purposes. Don't see one as better than the other just different.

I see only three things in common between the Talon UL and WM UL
  1. both are dual line trick kites
  2. Both are boutique kites made by master kite makers
  3. Both have UL in their name.

Maybe 10 pages on the differences between the kites.  Cheesy   

I can also feel your pain. Had similar winds where it was very light or stong and the Talon UL was grounded.  Sad 
Having the full set of Talons would solve that problem.  Wink

What version of the Aura did you order? The 4oz or 5oz version?
vertigo2u

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:41 AM »

4 oz's....

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20 AM »

4 oz's....

Why?  Roll Eyes

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42 AM »

I have a choice of a 4 or 5 oz kite... In my video the wind was almost gone.  The flag at the Beach would not move.  In the hot summer days I have had to fly my INAK.  When there is NO WIND at all.  I wanted a kite for No Wind I can trick.  I can do 540's with my INAK but Devin showed more can be done with the AURA ( which is not for sale yet).

Ara, Have you ever flown a Widow Maker Ul or std? I don't think you have.  As I said there is a Huge difference in wind range from your Talon Ul and a Widow Maker ul... If I am flying my Ocius Sul then you have to know the wind was so low even my Widow Maker ul with a bridle adjustment for no wind, wasn't flying.

My Ocius Sul fly's like a Princess in low wind.  That is why I have two of them.  I also have two Widow Makers std and two Widow Makers ul's.

I was shocked to find out the Talon ul didn't handle the low winds well.  Wayne has both a Widow Maker Ul and Talon Ul.  They are different but stunt kites non the less.  Better the pilot the better it performs.  Because of the weight shift she holds a Fade and will roll up.  It is why she has two Roll Up Bars.  Makes sense.  But adds weight to the Ul.  Not sure of the cost $$$.  Widow Makers are around $300 new. 

Hope to fly the Talon today ... She is going to California this week to see Nancy... maybe even a Ocius Sul.

P.S.- Notice the straight line tracking of the kite. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:50 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

alien

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30 AM »

Who needs wind when you are armed with that good lookin weapon.
Great viewing and flying,thanks Vert2  Grin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:37 AM by alien » Logged
Wayner

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:57 PM »

I have a choice of a 4 or 5 oz kite... In my video the wind was almost gone.  The flag at the Beach would not move.  In the hot summer days I have had to fly my INAK.  When there is NO WIND at all.  I wanted a kite for No Wind I can trick.  I can do 540's with my INAK but Devin showed more can be done with the AURA ( which is not for sale yet).

Waiting to see side by side flights of these two versions. The 5oz does all the tricks I know well. I fear the the loss of mass in 4oz version in doing pitch tricks. Will have to wait till the Aura are in production.

Hope to fly the Talon today ... She is going to California this week to see Nancy... maybe even a Ocius Sul.

Maybe an INAK  Roll Eyes

P.S.- Notice the straight line tracking of the kite. 

I did notice this. Nice corners. The Ocius never impressed me as a precison kite. Well done.  Grin
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:49 PM »

I haven't tried on a low wind day taking the tail weight away from the Talon UL, taking off the Upper Spreader and the roll bars.
I'll try it next time I get the chance and see the difference.
... also see whether it flies at all...  Roll Eyes

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:47 PM »

I haven't tried on a low wind day taking the tail weight away from the Talon UL, taking off the Upper Spreader and the roll bars.

Ara,
You are limited the with Talon. The weights are in the leading edge not the tail and not removable.
You can always take out the upper spreader, not sure about the roll bars  Roll Eyes plus not much of a weight savings.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37 PM »

Ara,
You are limited the with Talon. The weights are in the leading edge not the tail and not removable.
You can always take out the upper spreader, not sure about the roll bars  Roll Eyes plus not much of a weight savings.

That's funny...
My Talon UL does have a weight covered in velcro that is stuck in between the velcro tail reinforcement.  And which is actually removable...
I actually discovered it only a couple of weeks ago while cleaning and giving thorough maintenance to the kite (after a year having it!  Roll Eyes  ).
Has anyone else seen this in his/her Talon UL?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:39 PM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Wayner

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:09 AM »

Ara,

That's funny...
My Talon UL does have a weight covered in velcro that is stuck in between the velcro tail reinforcement.  And which is actually removable...
I actually discovered it only a couple of weeks ago while cleaning and giving thorough maintenance to the kite (after a year having it!  Roll Eyes  ).

Ara,
I just checked the Jest of Eve web site and you are correct about the spine tail weight and it is 5 grams. So, the Talon has weights in both the LE and the spine.
Funny I have viewed that page several times before and only noticed the LE weight.   Roll Eyes  Glad you found it. 

I have not noticed the tail weight and my Talon is currently off visting other flyers around the country.
kepople

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:02 AM »

Interesting weight discussion. we should be discussing this in the other forum so more can provide input.
i have been thinking about adding weight to the nose of my Superfly to see if it gives more pitch deviation.
So my question here is with weight on the tail and the nose, would there be more in the nose or in the tail?
jaydub

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Interesting weight discussion. we should be discussing this in the other forum so more can provide input.
i have been thinking about adding weight to the nose of my Superfly to see if it gives more pitch deviation.
So my question here is with weight on the tail and the nose, would there be more in the nose or in the tail?

At the risk of going off topic completely, why would you wnat to add weight to the nose of your SF?

It is a very different kite from others in your bag and will take some adjustment.  As it has already been tweaked extensively by Messrs Goff and Benson, I would leave well alone and get used to flying it (based on personal experience).
kepople

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 12:15 PM »

At the risk of going off topic completely, why would you wnat to add weight to the nose of your SF?

It is a very different kite from others in your bag and will take some adjustment.  As it has already been tweaked extensively by Messrs Goff and Benson, I would leave well alone and get used to flying it (based on personal experience).

for me its more to learn how the physics works, and what causes one kite to be happier in pitch, and another to be less so. That being said, dont most users still tweak a kite based on thie flying style?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change