GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 4493 times)
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: May 07, 2013, 05:54 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:06 PM by np » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Hey Norm... this isn't an entry, but an example. Does reversing rotation count ?

Backspin Challenge...

Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:40 PM »

Wow! That was fast RobB?!?!

As with magicians, no time for blinking...  Huh

I'm in, as always, but I feel I will not make it on time for the price.... as always...   Sad

In any case, I will surely learn a lot.

So, I'm in Norm. Do I need to throw a hat this time?   Roll Eyes
Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38 PM »

I am really excited about this challenge since I want to get better at back spins (i have only done them once or twice on accident)and this challenge looks like it could lead to back spin cascades.    Tongue

I would like to participate, but won't be able to post a video until sometime next week.   Angry. (My wife and I are helping with a wedding) Good luck everyone. This challenge looks like fun.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: (2) 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Baressi Signature Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22 AM »

Great challange and video Norm  Cool

I earned my first pair of Norm's straps with a backspin challange.
Norm was very wise to give me a challange that fit my long hard inputs.  Cheesy

This is a solid skill to have and a very reachable goal.

Hope a lot of the entry level flyers jump in and try it. Looking forward to some videos in the next couple of weeks of success and not so successful attempts. Good luck to you all.

RobB

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:27 AM »

I'm in, as always, but I feel I will not make it on time for the price.... as always...   Sad

Cheers.

Ara, this was a trick that I was working on last year (and am still working on).  This clip was filmed in very low wind... If you're going to do this in higher winds, you have to keep walking forward.

This video really helped me...

Backspin Tutorial

red sweater

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:39 AM »

Still working on a stable fade. I predict a more flying time will come my way, since inland is not so painful when you have an SUL in your bag.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:05 AM »

Cheers.
Ara, this was a trick that I was working on last year (and am still working on).  This clip was filmed in very low wind... If you're going to do this in higher winds, you have to keep walking forward.

This video really helped me...

Oh! I see... It's easy peazy.  Grin
I just need to be able to do a @#$%!&#@ fade and then its just a matter of pulling and stepping forward, pulling and stepping forward, just like that...   Cool

OK, OK, I will try to get the fade...  hmmrrrrhmmmmrrrmrmrmr...   Angry

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
jaydub

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19 AM »

Ara,

Don't get discouraged.  Although Norm says only beginners can enter the fray, these are far from beginners tricks.

I would like to think of myself as an intermediate flier and I've never done an AVFFF and I've never done backspins separated by fades.

Could I do them if I really tried?  To be honest, I'm not sure.  Undecided

Jon
Charles P

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50 AM »

Norm,
 I want to participate  but I am not going to enter this challenge for straps.
I am very good at the back spin but never tried to fade between spins, sounds fun and I'll keep you posted.
 Thanks for keeping the challenges going!!   Cool

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:48 PM »

Oh! I see... It's easy peazy.  Grin
I just need to be able to do a @#$%!&#@ fade and then its just a matter of pulling and stepping forward, pulling and stepping forward, just like that...   Cool
OK, OK, I will try to get the fade...  hmmrrrrhmmmmrrrmrmrmr...   Angry
Ara.....The Fade is SO important I can't stress it enough and it's the reason for the Fade "trick challenge". Watch the videos over and over and continue to read all input from the various fliers. I know the Fade isn't a FUN trick to learn, but it's the Platform to a lot of other tricks. LEARN IT, you'll be glad you did, but don't get discouraged.

Hi, no I'm not discouraged at all.
And I love to see an elegant fade set in place. I would really love to be able to control it.
But I don't know whether it is the irregular winds I've had or what, that I can just not hold it.
I have obvious difficulties entering the fade, but when I do manage to enter it, I just can't hold it.

There has been only one day, at the beach, with the most perfect and constant breeze I've ever seen, in which I would put my Talon UL on the floor, already in the fade position and, thanks to its rollbars, it would gently raise its nose as if wanting to flip back on the floor. I then just had to gently tug the lines and up it went. I could hold the fade really long and stable while slowly walking back.
I repeated the operation five times. (No video of course, what did you think!)
So I'm starting to think I usually fly in very lousy winds.
But of course it cannot always be the wind's fault. So the pilot (that is, me) must practise a lot more.
And so I will, but that doesn't make me feel any less grumpy about it  Wink
Cheers.

In my bag...
jaydub

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07 PM »

enter the fray.  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

No video camera either. Sad
jaydub

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09 PM »

You're far to humble, Jon. My guess is when you decide to do them you'll crank them out with ease. I've watched your VF entry's and you are a much much better flier than myself. That's not being humble, just the truth. The tricks I'm posting are easy, it's the added twist that make them a real "challenge".

Think you must have me confused with someone else.  I've only ever entered one VF and the highlight was a police car pulling someone over for speeding in the background. Huh Cheesy
roisinroisin21

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Neee naaaw neee naaaw a clasic entry Jon

ko

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:51 PM »

I would like to think of myself as an intermediate flier and I've never done an AVFFF and I've never done backspins separated by fades.

Could I do them if I really tried?  To be honest, I'm not sure.  Undecided

Jon
I agree I have never done a single backspin to fade. I do multiples and then switch direction.I guess when i change direction of spin it could loosely be considered a fade (a really quick one) also the backspin cascade, You can actually get barrel rolls Farly easy,even in higher winds and for some this is all that you can get do to the kite you may be flying. Is a barrel roll a back spin?NO (talk to the Godfather)but they are fun and sometimes hard to get out of lol As stated above dont get frustrated and MASTER the FADE
Thanks for all that you do Norm

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change