My birthday brought me some new tricks!

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Ara Ararauna:

Hi!

I'm exultant!  ;D   8)
Yesterday was my birthday (47 only) and I took the afternoon off to go to the beach and have a nice flying time.
There was a gale though  :(  (~25Km/h winds...)

But I though I should wait and have patience.
After 45min I didn't have more patience but the winds had gone down to 18-20Km/h.
So I took my Soul out and adjusted bridle for high wind.
Despite the wind, at the edges of the window I started to practise the Slot Machine and by Jove I got it!
I was also trying to fade but the wind was way too high.

Then the wind started to go down to ~12Km/h so I readjusted bridle and started to try, and try, and try the fade endlessly!   ???  phew...
So I got a few of them and I decided to try to record something (wind went down to 8-10Km/h).

Here's the result:

--
NovaMarBellaBarcelona_20130510
(I apologise for the crooked horizon...)  :-[

Surprisingly I managed to get a few things into the video! So I'm really happy!!!!!!!!!   :)   :)   :)   ;D
Slots, really low 540's, fades, barrel rolls/backspins, flick flacs...  I can't believe it!

Any help in telling me how I can get the axel to fade corrected will be greatly appreciated.

For those who don't wish to go through the ~7min video of all my stubborn attempts at getting the fade you can go directly to the more or less successful tricks at the following times:
Slots: 00:06, 3:18, 3:28, 5:05, 6:06,
540's: 00:49 (3 in a row), 5:56,
Crummy Hals-axel cascade: 6:11
Fades: 1:52, 2:20, 3:55, 4:15, 4:35, 4:50, 5:30, 5:47, 6:20, 6:55, 7:13
Barrel Rolls/Backspins: 3:58, 4:38, 5:32,
FlickFlacs: 4:52, 6:57, (7:15)
Lazy Susan: 2:25

Cheers!

Hadge:

Well done Ara!! ;D

BIG improvement! you have the basics of a lot of good tricks in there - isn't it great when you get a day when everything just 'clicks'.

You don't seem to have a problem getting from the Axel into the Fade - you're doing it all through the video - your problem seems to be keeping it steady once you have got it to fade ( I know that the Soul isn't the easiest kite to control in strong winds!) 

I notice that when you go from axel to fade ( and when you do flic flacs ) you are putting your arms and hands straight out if front of you, close together high up in front of your face.  Try to bring your arms further down by your sides and wider apart and you should find it easier to control. You seem to have the backspin too! ....it's a trick I've only recently got...it has always been a bit of a nemesis trick for me until I got the HQ Maestro.  Get a few of your new tricks polished up and then we can get you started on Jacob's Ladders!!!  ;D

PS  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

jaybett:

Happy Birthday!

Nice flying, you've got a number of tricks down and good control to boot. Looks like your going to have a good summer.

Jay

fidelio:

Well done and happy birthday.

Hadge is right, it would help for your arms to make their way back to your waist. If your arms end up in front of you and you're not using this as setup for another trick, bring your arms to your waist while stepping forward so you're ready to react more quickly than feet will allow.

Understandably the wind speed was making this more difficult but generally speaking on entry to the fade with sufficient slack you get half a heartbeat when the nose is swinging under to get yourself set to 'catch' the lines as they meet the leading edge, and if necessary make an adjustment in your 'catch' if one side is going to be high.

Simply put, to 'catch' the kite in the fade what you're attempting to do is put the right amount of tension at the right time to cancel out any motion of the kite resulting in a stationary position. If you're too rigid or abrupt the kite will bounce off the lines. The feel for this comes with practice so keep at it.

Now with many words spent confusing the matter it's time for some wonderful video illustration by the skillful mama74.

--
Fade Studies

--
Fade Tutorial

Lastly, the smoothness of the wind won't impact your ability to get into a fade, but will greatly affect the struggle to keep it there.

Videos are always helpful to the community so thanks for sharing. You're doing great.

alien:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOT SHOT!
AH..,pushin the big 5-0,1965 seems like yesterday   ;D
Great flying birthday boy and like the years and your great flying i am a little behind.(months)  :'(
Excellent scenery and inspiring us all to fly,cant wait for my weekend.
47 more years to you Ara
You kinda look and remind me of the fella in the Prism videos.

Pages: (1/2) > >>