GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildwood International Kite Festival  (Read 2540 times)
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04 PM »

RS

Maybe next year - we'll see you around.

Larry

And, to Rob - doesn't look promising for flying Ozones or Vapors. The only kites we have with holes in them are Revs. One of them is a light blue / navy /white midvent that arrived the same day as our first grand-daughter (a week ago) and is almost as beautiful. We named it after her.

Larry
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36 PM »

OK, I was down to the beach tonite, a few people flying, and it was a nice 10mph onshore breeze. I didn't think of bringing any kites down, boy did I feel stupid. It was too close to dark to walk back to get them and walk back. I've got something to fly no matter what the wind does.
Can't wait to see who's out on the beach in the morning...

BTW, I am ignoring the NOAA forcast... they've gotta be wrong !

RobB

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Mother Nature is mad at us kiters...
A quote from NOAA...

Late Afternoon A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a northwest wind around 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tonight A chance of showers, mainly before 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Breezy, with a northwest wind 21 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Windy, with a northwest wind around 26 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph.

Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 21 mph.

Sad

Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 07:10 PM »

Not looking too good, I didn't bother going to the night fly tonight. Guess I will take a ride over tomorrow but have nothing that I can fly in these winds!
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 04:36 PM »

I'm planning on doing a day trip tomorrow. The weather forecast has played a major role in keeping me away to this point ...as well as a kite building project I was trying to finish! Looks like tomorrow will have more manageable winds ...even if they are going to be coming of-land!

Hopefully everyone will not have left town before I get there!
glk47

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 07:46 PM »

Rob is right - Mother Nature has it in for us. Today was bright sun and, relatively speaking, decent temperatures (mid sixties), but winds still too high for most of my stuff. We flew full- vent Revs, and a boom-proof flowtail, and that was about it.

Larry
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 01:32 PM »

So, I come out of this looking like the smart one? What are the odds?

FWIW, I am sympathetic that Sunday and Monday didn't cooperate for you guys. They looked like there was the potential.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
RobB

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 06:30 PM »

I can fly anytime. The idea of the festival for me is to see all you people in person. I saw a few of you there... life is good !

red sweater

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 07:02 AM »

I can fly anytime.

Rub it in. Roll Eyes

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
RobB

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 05:19 PM »

I can fly anytime.

Rub it in. Roll Eyes
OK... let me re-phrase that... I can fly anytime I'm not working or taking care of my 3 kids. That leaves a few hours a week ! Really... I used to go to festivals and just concentrate on flying everything I brought. But I realized that I was missing out on walking around, and watching other people fly... something I never see at home.

trigger

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 09:28 PM »

I agree Rob.   I brought everything to grand haven, flew the night we got there for about an hour and told my wife that was probably all i would get of air time.  She thought i was crazy!  With the crowds, lack of wind, playing with the kids and watching other people fly there really wasn't much time for flying.  We still had a WONDERFUL time.

When I got home, I headed down to the field and flew for almost 2hrs with more heart than ever before!  It's just nice to see other people and talk to others that enjoy doing what you do.  Most of us don't get that very often in person(hence my 96hrs accrued time on this forum)  Cool
glk47

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20 AM »

RS -

Just to make you feel a little bit bad, I'll say that conditions on Monday weren't bad at all - light SE winds.

It rained on Tuesday and we never went to the beach.

Larry
Shamrocky

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 04:32 PM »

I agree Larry.   

After watching the indoor competition Monday, I got a chance to do some dual line flying.  The wind was great for UL's.  Nice and clean off the water. This was the most air time I got all weekend (except for when I had to compete)   Cheesy   Gusty winds was an understatement.   It is almost impossible to have the correct kite for those conditions.   Winds @ 24 mph then gusting to 35 and 45 mph on Saturday with almost no warning.

The best thing was it only rained on Friday and not all day.   We saw the rain on Tuesday and did not extend our stay.   Those that stayed home, did not miss any great flying and saved a bundle of ca$h.

Better Luck Next Year.

Shamrocky   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography