GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 09:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building WK100 - Cloud Coulor  (Read 1160 times)
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: May 13, 2013, 06:10 AM »

Puzzle and I are each building a WK100 (Barry Ogletree design) al la Ben Huggett color design. We spent two days cutting out the fabric and other day and a half sewing the kite. I just need to bridle up mine and Puzzle has a couple more hours of sewing. Cutting everything out was the major work. Sewing the WK100 was not too difficult, mainly as there are no unsupported ribs (each rib lines up with a keel). If you'd not seen Ben's Cloud Coulor kite, the colored ribs bleed through the white skin when it's flying in the sun.

The kite takes about 35 yards of fabric. It's 10'x10' (100 sq feet). It's a _great_ flier. I've flow my other one in 4mph winds and it's flown in 20mph winds.

Building WK100 Kite - Cloud Colour

(if the video does not launch in 1080HD I'd recommend change to that resolution)

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:12 AM »

Loved the stools as weights.

Thanks.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:51 AM »

jeez..that guy in the orange shirt sits around a lot Wink
That looks great! Glad you guys are able to do this project.....next up see if you can talk Ken M into allowing another Ichiban small group build!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14 AM »

jeez..that guy in the orange shirt sits around a lot Wink
That looks great! Glad you guys are able to do this project.....next up see if you can talk Ken M into allowing another Ichiban small group build!!!!

HA!!! I was waiting for that! Puzzle told me, all that video is going to show is me sitting down all of the time. Around 20 second into the video you might also see him holding up his hand like he's shooting me and I throw my arms up. We tried to do that really slow so it would look normal in the video (but you need to hold that pose for about 15-30 seconds). Yeah... we were a little tired at the time.

I'e built several larger SLKs before but the material was already cut out. Cutting it out is not difficult but it just takes _forever_! Course, the labor was a little more intensive as we had the multi-colored ribs to deal with.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:37 AM »

Looking good.  You made a few modifications which is good.  Looking forward to seeing it in the sky.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40 AM »

personally cutting out the fabric is what holds me back every time....i try to get kits as much as i can and then assemble from that point.........

Those do look great!!!! Airtime now!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43 AM »

Looking good.  You made a few modifications which is good.  Looking forward to seeing it in the sky.
Not too many. We ended up using moer white in the front only because we used 4 colors instead of 5. I think everything else is about the same (?). Oh, we placed the colors in a different order.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
PUZZLE
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41 PM »

hey, todd measures i cut, cant help it todds slow lol, i have such a respect for kite builders after 2 small projects. think we did the colors straight and you did them at an angle, that might defuse the colors more
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:43 PM by PUZZLE » Logged

PUZZLE

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15 PM »

Tcope got his done before me and took a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_OFoJO740

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50 PM »

What? No pizza delivery??? Loved the time lapse!!! A follow up of setup and flying would be interesting in the T L format  Wink

Nice job, thanks for the effort of sharing...

Anthony
tcope

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:19 PM »

Steve got his done yesterday so we took them both out to a local park to fly. Winds were light, around 5mph but dropping to 3mph or so. Kites flew great.

The WK100's take about 35 yards of fabric each. As I recall, they took about 3 days to make (a solid day and 1/2 just cutting everything out). It took a little longer due to the multi-colored ribs.

Theses are a real crowd pleaser. We got a lot of great comments from people.

WK100 Kites, Cloud Colour version

(be sure to increase the resolution for better viewing)

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
PUZZLE

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:18 PM »

another picture of the double rainbow, what does it mean? full on double rainbow

TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30 AM »

Those look great.  The cheap china fabric seems to work pretty well on giving off color.  The vertical seam where each of your colors meets results in the very clear bands of colors that you guys have.

think we did the colors straight and you did them at an angle, that might defuse the colors more

Yes, I was looking for the total diffusion effect.  After talking with John Rose - from whom I developed the color diffusion concept - I went with a long angle where each color on the ribs meets - that spreads the two color overlap over 24" thus resulting in a blend of colors on mine. 
tcope

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:56 AM »

That photo from Puzzle is John C worthy! Someone needs to send that into the AKA, IMHO.

The fabric from Emma was good... but as mentioned in KA51, the white has some bend in the weaves staring about the middle to one edge. Not a lot and I don't know that it created any issues. At least not for us as we used that side of excess. The white is fairly translucent.

I don't know that the angles make much of a difference other then on the white in the front (keeping the person from seeing the color in the mouth of the kite) as the color viewable through the white seems to only be from a few inches of fabric.

I don't think I'd do it but I wonder what black ribs would look like in a white skinned kite. What I would consider doing is something like all one color inner ribs, such as all orange.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change