GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: watching this for me is like a non-flier watch a pheonmenal tricks party  (Read 1455 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: May 15, 2013, 12:44 PM »

holy beejeezus...
!

granted then this happens too....
Bert Kammerer - Alpine Heli Smackdown 2011 ( #2 flight - Crash)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:52 PM »

Holy f**k indeed!  Huh

Fun way to mow the lawn!!!

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10 PM »

When I first saw this a week or so back I thought the footage was sped up. ITS NOT.

Holy crap indeed....... Huh

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40 PM »

OMG

Huh Huh Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:46 PM »

I have referred to this sort of "flying" in the past as dubstep physics.

The difference between super-gnarly, bleeding edge, hyper-wonderful, mega-skilled "smacking" (as they term it) and serious control issues is simply lost on anyone not deeply inside this activity. It doesn't help that one of the leading lights in the field finishes practically every video I've seen of him with a pile of smoking rubble where his helicopter used to be.

I, in a very real sense, don't get it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 02:20 PM »

My dad would often say,

"It's the extremists who allow the moderates to get things done."

The "Top End of the Bell Curve" is usually someone or something

no one else wants, but still finds perversely fascinating.

Having seen those 2 videos was something I need do but once.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 02:53 PM »

Absolutely no different than a Tricks Party. From a civilian POV.

Folks who cant see this aspect of sport kite trick flying need to look again. It's a very inscrutable activity.

Sometimes that's one of the things I like about it.  Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:27 PM »

Absolutely no different than a Tricks Party. From a civilian POV.
We're not a quite at the same level as The Man in the Street as we too play with flying objects and are familiar with aerial motion. Modern r/c heli. flying gets extra WTH points as everyone is au fait with how the full-size* things move about and it is NOT like that.

I've spent quite a bit of time watching videos and In Real Life and I simply cannot see how these competitions are judged. I don't see how one routine can be reasonably considered superior to another. It's a blur of chaos to me. In comparison, a freestyle kite is dawdling about the sky.

Mike,
* not real. R/C things are real too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:39 PM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Just like the bystander who asks if your kite is broken, or maybe you could use a tail ?

These RC Helis look like they might be experiencing some sort of radio interference or mechanical control failure...

Cheesy

whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35 PM »

No "walk of shame" with these babies, the learning curve could get pricey... Wink

Anthony
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 07:14 PM »

Soooooo What could a heli like this do after being taken away from this obvious hack and flown by someone who knows what he is doing?.I mean come on! he cant even fly a straight line.Let alone keep the freakin thing right side up

have fun kurt
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 08:11 PM »

I've had exactly One, that's ONE person who knew nothing about kites twig to the fact that I had just stalled a kite on purpose.

I've had exactly One, that's ONE person who knew nothing about kites get that I knew what I was doing, and only because they were looking at my hands not the kite.

So I guess that makes Two.

Smiley

Btw, I stay well back from any rc heli pilots around here. They really suck and suck hard. Too many close calls.

Just like the bystander who asks if your kite is broken, or maybe you could use a tail ?

These RC Helis look like they might be experiencing some sort of radio interference or mechanical control failure...

Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:18 PM by JimB » Logged
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 10:42 PM »

Holy mackerel!

About halfway through the video, it occurred to me that this thing represents a helicopter, and I imagined what it would be like to sit inside a real one being flown like this -- or as close to it as the laws of physics would let you.  Might be a bit harder to digest than my first, rather innocent attempts at strapping a camera to my Widow Maker and flying tricks Wink

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:31 PM »

I took look at this and go wtf but what really amazes me if the people standing near it, make a mistake and you get hit by a buzzsaw

Sine Metu!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:48 PM »

Yes! I read about this guy.

He suffers from chronic hiccups and he's under treatment.
He flies helis as a therapy for better hand control but he has not been able to keep the RC sticks stable yet.

It is apparently an extreme case and therapy will be lasting for at least five years more.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document