GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 08:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: watching this for me is like a non-flier watch a pheonmenal tricks party  (Read 1591 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 11:52 PM »

Oh, it's not just the buzz saw effect. From personal experience; if they really hit the deck there can be shrapnel involved.

I took look at this and go wtf but what really amazes me if the people standing near it, make a mistake and you get hit by a buzzsaw
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 04:27 AM »

What  Shocked
I like the guy in black on their left filming on the knee high tripod,love to see what he caught on card?
Needs an Epilepsy warning prior to viewing.
 No matter what stupid thing youve done or will do in life you are always beaten by someone better than you!
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 08:25 AM »

I took look at this and go wtf but what really amazes me if the people standing near it, make a mistake and you get hit by a buzzsaw
Those were my thoughts too. Insane!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Texanpilot
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28 AM »

No "walk of shame" with these babies, the learning curve could get pricey... Wink

Yeah, $50 for a minor crash.

I've started to get into the micro-size helicopters (6 inches long), and this is much more expensive than kites.  At least the micros are about $5 per 20 crashes.
But I can fly the helicopter in the house at night or on rainy days.

Steady winds, y'all.
John Welden

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02 AM »

Dear lord that's insane flying.  Mind boggling.

I do find it a lot like trick flying in that much if it looks like chaos. I'd love to see one of those pilots do a graceful routine.  I think it could be quite nice to watch. 

A goal for my own flying style has been to make it so a non kiter would find it to be under control and artfully executed.  I don't like any tricks that appear to be out of control or sloppy. If a non kiter tells me my flying looked pretty, it makes my day.

I don't like most modern flying styles but greatly respect their skill. Same with the heli guys.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 12:33 PM »

I do find it a lot like trick flying in that much if it looks like chaos. I'd love to see one of those pilots do a graceful routine.  I think it could be quite nice to watch. 

A goal for my own flying style has been to make it so a non kiter would find it to be under control and artfully executed.  I don't like any tricks that appear to be out of control or sloppy. If a non kiter tells me my flying looked pretty, it makes my day.

I don't like most modern flying styles but greatly respect their skill. Same with the heli guys.

+1

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43 PM »

I wonder if they go through all the moves so fast because there is a time limit and they are judged on how tricks they get in?
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 02:35 PM »

http://helidaily.com/f3n--the-new-fai-official-format-for-3d-helicopter-competition/
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Haven flown the "real" thing.   Cool I have Never found any interest in flying a toy one.  Sad  Mom bought me a $100 one for Christmas.  Flew it once in the snow.  Cheesy  Done.  I know what a chopper can really do.  These toys have no common reality to flying a Loach. OH6-A.  No loops, Lips sealed  No upside down  Undecided ,No side ways  Undecided , No 360's.  Sad Up/Down,Front /Back. Bank Turn.  Grin

There is a Field on the way to the Beach were the Macomb County Helicopter group flys.  Got their own field and space.  I never stop by and watch. Boring.  Lips sealed Lips sealed  Usually I see them while driving by.  I see smoke and something flying upside down.   Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

For me Sport Kites offer the Rush of acutally flying. and There is a Big Rush...... ( Surge of adrenalin ).

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 03:00 PM »

It would be really interesting to have a camera on the heli recording the whole flight  Shocked

I bet my bottom Euro nobody would be able to watch it without throwing up their first meal...   Cheesy

Well worth a sequence for an Xtreme Theme Park!  Cheesy  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 03:27 PM »

That was really freaky. Almost too much so. After a minute I thought of a 2 year old just flipping the levers in a childish cartoon. It is probably real skill, but it's lost on me. Just like I don't expect others to know what I'm trying to do with Dual or quad line kites.

I do think kites have a leg up though because we are trying to use and focus the natural conditions rather than have direct control over the throttle and the ability to reverse oversteering. We can't just push the joystick backwards to fix an incorrect hand input. I think kite flying is more like golfing. You have to have it correct the first time to get the desired effect rather than having constant control.

It was cool though.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10 PM »

What's always been missing to me with the whole rc thing is the actual physical connection to whatever it is you are flying or motoring or whatever.

That's the interesting bit.

Take for example rc sailboats; love them when I see them; absolutely Zero interest in getting involved with them.

ymmv..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:12 PM by JimB » Logged
John Welden

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 07:53 AM »

What's always been missing to me with the whole rc thing is the actual physical connection to whatever it is you are flying or motoring or whatever.

Take for example rc sailboats; love them when I see them; absolutely Zero interest in getting involved with them.

ymmv..

Jim,

RC sailboat racing with a friend is pretty damn fun.  Nice thing about sailboats is that they are nice and  slow for dummies like me. With the cars and planes you have to be a 15 year old kid with lightening  fast reflexes.

Kites are more fun though!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 08:22 AM »

ymmv..

Jim,

RC sailboat racing with a friend is pretty damn fun.  Nice thing about sailboats is that they are nice and  slow for dummies like me. With the cars and planes you have to be a 15 year old kid with lightening  fast reflexes.

Kites are more fun though!

I must say that the control and relationship of the pilot with a stunt kite is indeed special.
Nevertheless, I flew line controlled airplanes as a kid and the relationship was similar although you had to go round&round&round all the time.  Roll Eyes
I later flew RC sailplanes on the rising currents of a hillside. Of course you have no contact with the plane but having to carefully watch it to understand how the currents affect it and how you can best keep it up and start doing stunts is a really amazing feeling.
Plus, there is complete silence because you have no motors, only the wind and the wings of the plane cutting the air when you make a sharp pass in front of you.
So there are some great experiences in RC also.
I only stopped flying them because repairing them took too much time and effort.
I get more flying time with kites and much less hassle.
Cheers!

In my bag...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document