New to the Dark Side

(1/2) > >>

King-J:
I'am New to the Dark Side, I have only flown one once down in Ripon George's "moegeo" finally got one of my own, B-Series Mid-Vent, third flight on it today very controllable in these bumpy mountain winds, and enjoying this quad line kite, getting quit a bit of moves down, my question is on line sets, right now I have a set of Skybond 100# x 75', should I get some 150# or 175# lines for 15-18 mph winds.

MtnFlyer:
Quote from: King-J on May 17, 2013, 06:04 PM

I'am New to the Dark Side, I have only flown one once down in Ripon George's "moegeo" finally got one of my own, B-Series Mid-Vent, third flight on it today very controllable in these bumpy mountain winds, and enjoying this quad line kite, getting quit a bit of moves down, my question is on line sets, right now I have a set of Skybond 100# x 75', should I get some 150# or 175# lines for 15-18 mph winds.

Welcome.   ;) 

So, your pics are at the beach. How do you get "these bumpy mountain winds" there?  :D  I'm jealous.

Also, "should I get some 150# or 175# lines for 15-18 mph winds"?  You should get a full vent. I almost never fly with more than 90#-100# line unless it's 20mph + or so and straining the full vent lines. Maybe some 120' lines, though. They'll help in higher winds with the mid-vent.

King-J:
Quote from: MtnFlyer on May 17, 2013, 06:29 PM

Quote from: King-J on May 17, 2013, 06:04 PM

Welcome.   ;) 

So, your pics are at the beach. How do you get "these bumpy mountain winds" there?  :D  I'm jealous.

Also, "should I get some 150# or 175# lines for 15-18 mph winds"?  You should get a full vent. I almost never fly with more than 90#-100# line unless it's 20mph + or so and straining the full vent lines. Maybe some 120' lines, though. They'll help in higher winds with the mid-vent.

My Very first flight was at Doran Beach, Bodega Bay, CA; Second and Third, Grass Valley, CA ;)

goestoeleven:
Agreed on the lines.  All my line sets are 80-90lb.  When the wind picks up, I just switch to the full vent.  But that doesn't get so much air time as I tend to fly quite a bit in light & variable / thermally inland midwest winds. 

MtnFlyer:
That's great. Looks like a nice beach. I was at Doran Beach a month ago, but after terrific winds early in the week, that day there wasn't enough wind for my Zen in my hands. Moved up the coast to the north end of Bodega Bay and flew my standard on 30 ft lines.

Anyway, I'd suggest the 120' lineset and then a shorter set for lighter winds. It'll stretch the wind range a bit before you finally break down and get a full set of Revs.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page