GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 12:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forcing Trick Timing  (Read 599 times)
KiteChemist
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 20, 2013, 01:52 PM »

May sound a strange question but it has sense (i hope  Cheesy)

I'm talking about dual line kites in the STD weight, with wingspan no higher than 245 and height no higher of 95. If a kite has an imposed timing in tricks (like many polivalents), making difficult to follow some tipes of music, is there a way to speed it up (bridle, weights)? I'm forced to change the music or there is a way to force it? For example in a cascade, if i'm not able to follow the music and forcing the timing results in kite stopping in a particular position or snagging the lines, can it depend on the bridle? Or does it depends on sail shape and quantity?

I know that this is a question with no direct answer but I want to start a discussion that probably can interest many designers.
bt
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10 PM »

One thing you could do is change the timing of your "moves"... For example rather than hitting every beat of the music try to hit every second beat....this would be comparable to playing a half time musical groove.
Or you could fly in half time and do the move(s) in regular time....this gives an illusion of speeding up....
Keeping in mind that the above has nothing to do with the kite/bridle adjustment(s)/weights et al just flying at different "speeds" to the tempo of the music.
I'll leave that stuff to the tweakers....
bt
KiteChemist

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23 AM »

This seems a good advice if the rhythm of a kite cannot be speed up.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14 AM »

Im not sure i get what the issue is. Speeding up or slowing down a trick or sequence of tricks is generally up to the pilot, not the kite. A specific kite may have a range that it is comfortable with for a specific move. Faster or slower cascades for instance. A smaller kite is generally faster to rotate through moves than a bigger one, but even a big kite can do most any trick at different speeds. It's how you fly it.

Choreography-wise, I agree with bt. Hitting every second or fourth beat is often the way to go. It can look much more precise.

Allen, AKA kitehead
KiteChemist

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53 AM »

The issue is, a kite with more sail area is always slower, but can it be speed up?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:29 PM »

From my experience, I would, in general, choose music that has a slower pace, although not necessarily slow.   I agree with others that the timing is important - hitting tricks and dramatically changing direction 'to the music' makes it all work.  If it appears that you are struggling to keep the pace, the magic is lost.  Sad

I speak from experience.  I had what I though was the perfect music for a ballet and it was (at least close enough), but not for the 2-4 mph of wind which is what I had.  At a minimum, have both a slower and a faster piece of music so that you can switch it up as needed based on the conditions.  Without the right conditions, you can only speed it up so much.

I can't find it now, but I really enjoyed watching the near hour-long video from RSky someone posted recently that showed maybe a dozen or so amazing routines done with a variety of kite styles in varying winds.  Anyhow, as I watched them, I kept noticing the elements that worked really well with an eye to blending those into my own (even recreational) flying.

Freestyle World Cup - Cap d'Agde 2005 on Vimeo

Good luck.
-Tom
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:29 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document