GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pink" SUL  (Read 899 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: May 26, 2013, 03:17 PM »

SUL designed by "Pink"; saw this kite and plans posted at FA forum... Bridle is still in progress and I've no idea how it's going to fly, this kite is light!  I don't have a proper scale set up, but I can tell you it uses 2PT Lower spreaders, 2Pt lower leading edge, Zero Air upper leading edge and upper spreader and finally a p90 spine.  Sail is PC31 with mylar re-enforcments.  Leading edge tunnel is made of spinnaker.

I built the kite in a way I've not tried before... I traced the plan onto my PC31 using a light table and pens... then I cut with scissors.  It came together without any difficulty, but I don't know that I'll do it again.  Mostly I took this route because I wasn't sure I'd be making another "Pink SUL"... I guess I'll know better after I fly the kite.

I think the kite looks fun and will be anxious to give it a whirl.  The designer (name is Przemyslaw Mamon I believe) has stated that he is not an expert pilot, but can get a number of tricks out of his SUL.  That being said, I'm definitely not an expert pilot so it may be right up my alley!  Here are some pictures.

photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Looks nice! Curious to hear how it flies. It appears that your build quality is excellent , as usual!  Wink
Stuart99

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 06:13 PM »

I'm curious as well, I would love to add a home-built sul to the bag, especially for competition flying. (I hate running backwards)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:44 PM »

Really nice!
Please post video as soon as you can.
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
WolvenX
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 02:53 AM »

Yes tell us how it fly's and a video would be neat.  Tongue

You can either fly or die, personally I'll fly!!!

Kites: x2 Jazz; x2 Microns; Quantum; Zephyr; Ozone; Alien; Illusion 2K; E2; E3; Redback (hold the line Kites); Silver Fox (vented) Talon & Iridium on the way !!!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:07 PM »

I flew the Pink SUL today... in less than desirable wind.  1 or 2 mph and constantly dropping out completely.  Then, unexpectedly would change direction.  Hard to get good steady wind at my usual spot, but it was extra difficult today. 

Observations I have about the kite:  when the wind was steady, I felt that the Pink tracked well and I could get her to axel with ease.  The lightest inputs are required, as my particular kite weighs in at 150 grams (with 5 grams in the tail).  If I gave a 'pop' or asked the kite to go just beyond the most delicate request, she would be non-compliant and punish me with the inevitable walk of shame. 

Please keep in mind that I am a novice in my flying skills.  While I have the bridle set were the designer has currently specified, I have utilized an extremely adjustable bridle tying technique that may allow for some change in the kites character.  That being said, I'd be hesitant to adjust the settings until I had a day of lab grade low wind to experiment with, which may require a drive to the coast sometime soon.  All in all, I was happy to have the SUL today, as the wind was barely present.  Even my go-to Sano SSL was fidgety.  (Next down the line would be my shadow, and I regretfully left it at home.

The Pink is quite striking and I received a number of compliments and questions such as "where can I get one".  My reply was simply "I make most of the kites I fly, and so can you!"... which almost no one believes. My second most asked question was "how much does it cost, can I buy that one?"... they don't believe that the spars alone in this kite total a spectacular price of $70 (lets not discuss the cost of a Sixth Sense Std Pro frame!).  He went straight back to his attempts at flying the unicorn printed plastic diamond that was not staying aloft (his daughter was quite distraught that it would not fly). 

Anyway, those are my first impressions of this kite. 
Lou

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32 AM »

Great reading... I am so interested in ULs and SULs and just not sure if I want to go that route due to the need for such sensitive inputs.  I can be such a knuckle dragging monkey of a flier.  At the same time it might help me build a level of sensitivity I need.  I guess we'll see what the future holds.  I do like it's simplicity!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change