GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 12:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tie in leader lines properly?  (Read 721 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: May 28, 2013, 08:40 AM »

I have lately been trying to do so many yoyo based moves that my new Skybond lines are having its coating worn off from the wraps around the kite.  The super thin kite line is also damaging the yoyo stoppers.  They are cutting into the rubber like a hot knife.  I want to add leader lines but wasnt sure how to attach.  If anyone can post images or instructions that would be great.  I imagine its a single piece of bridle line that is knotted at both ends.  Just want to make sure my knots and lengths are common and appropriate to the general standards of manufacturers.

Thanks!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02 AM »

i know that a good number of guys just use ~4' leaders out of a heavier thicker line.....just larkshead them in with a loop on one end of each and a knot on the other.....larkshead the loop to the bridle and then attach your lines to the knot....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26 AM »

i know that a good number of guys just use ~4' leaders out of a heavier thicker line.....just larkshead them in with a loop on one end of each and a knot on the other.....larkshead the loop to the bridle and then attach your lines to the knot....

Excellent, thanks Rob.  I thought those knots also to be appropriate for its purpose.  I wasn't sure on general length.  I was going with either one or two full wraps around the kite, but wasn't sure.  Four feet sounds perfect.  Thanks!
JayDee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:05 PM »

I use 100-lb bridle line.  With both ends slightly widened by melting the cut, a slip knot on the bridle end and an 8-knot on the line end do the job just fine.  If the bridle's pig tail has two strands, I thread the end of the slip knot through between them so it jams.  Guess that knot would technically have a different name then...  As for the length, I wrap the leader twice around the kite, so that the line-side knot is about two inches below the yoyo stopper.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Gamelord

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16 AM »

Here's another trick, attach the leaders to your flying line, not the kite, that way you only need to build one set of leaders and they will be attached to whatever kite you fly. Smiley

Much easier than having to create multiple leader sets for all your kites.

Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 05:47 PM »

Here's another trick, attach the leaders to your flying line, not the kite, that way you only need to build one set of leaders and they will be attached to whatever kite you fly. Smiley

This guy is soo smart!
I wish he lived in Reno, where i could glean stuff like this from him weekly.  Grin
JayDee

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10 PM »

But that means creating a set of leaders for each line set.  And right now, I own more line sets than kites.  Shocked

Seriously, this is a great tip, and I will keep my leader sets separate going forward.  That approach would favor a larks head on the bridle end over a slip knot or a modification thereof.

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:41 PM »

But that means creating a set of leaders for each line set.  And right now, I own more line sets than kites.  Shocked

After a while, you start to only fly one kite anyhow!  Smiley

6 kite tom
alien

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36 AM »

My Dad always said "you love doing things the hard way"
Thank you for this revelation.
Thanks GameLord.
Lou

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:00 AM »

Do they sell or can I make sleeves for my line sets that are 4 feet long.  That would be great to just sleeve my line sets the 4 feet to protect them.  Don't think it would be needed for my precision flying kites but I can't imagine the weight added being anything detrimental.
DD
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:29 AM »

I would say it's easier to just get some bridle line and make leaders over long sleeving.
a knot, a loop and done. I have some that are bright orange and others that are black. All are connected to kites but come off easy enough

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography