GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 11:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a Magnet and a Sixth Sense  (Read 8328 times)
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: May 28, 2013, 01:27 PM »

For another forummember (you may reveal yourself) I'm building a Magnet and a Sixth Sense STD Pro.
I'll show every step in the build. There will be some pinstriping.

Today all the materials arrived at my place.
This is what happened this evening:

It may not be clear in the pictures (all panels are double), but the Magnet will be Black-White-FluorYellow and the Sixth Sense Black-DarkGrey-White.

I hope it is clear that it is no longer possible to change the colors... (it took a few mails to decide the colors for both kites).

Krijn
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Cool! I love these threads. Are you building the tail section on the Magnet as to the plans, or are you doing something different? That's the one part of that plan I can't wrap my head around. Both kites are going to look good.
Lou

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Cool, another build thread that I can actually use as I have my materials ready and will also start cutting the SS templates out.  Wait I still have no Mylar...gahhhh!  Well, love to follow along and great thing is I can always come back to this thread and use a reference once I'm ready.  Thanks Krijn!
WolvenX
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Thanks for this!!  I really love seeing how members build their kites.  Always helps to have new ideas re a build.

Keep up the good work.  Cheesy

You can either fly or die, personally I'll fly!!!

Kites: x2 Jazz; x2 Microns; Quantum; Zephyr; Ozone; Alien; Illusion 2K; E2; E3; Redback (hold the line Kites); Silver Fox (vented) Talon & Iridium on the way !!!
Krijn

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30 PM »

thanks guys  Smiley

Are you building the tail section on the Magnet as to the plans, or are you doing something different? That's the one part of that plan I can't wrap my head around.

yes, it is quite an easy solution
i can crib a my own magnet, which was built by the designer himself (last prototype)

(if you need a fast hint, i can make a picture of a magnet i built last month (for a friend))

Krijn
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:33 PM »

Thanks for this!!  I really love seeing how members build their kites.  Always helps to have new ideas re a build.

Keep up the good work.  Cheesy

+++++1 !

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Stuart99

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:34 AM »

thanks guys  Smiley

Are you building the tail section on the Magnet as to the plans, or are you doing something different? That's the one part of that plan I can't wrap my head around.

yes, it is quite an easy solution
i can crib a my own magnet, which was built by the designer himself (last prototype)

(if you need a fast hint, i can make a picture of a magnet i built last month (for a friend))

Krijn

A picture would be great!
Kareloh

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:47 AM »

Detail shots of the plan/build available on:
http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=1274

Krijn

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 07:07 AM »

funny: the magnet i built was also with gold in the centre:

Stuart99

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 01:03 PM »

thanks!
Krijn

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 01:11 PM »

Everything glued:

For the pinstriping I use spinnaker tape with a width of 2.5 cm.
I cut it in pieces of the needed length plus a few centimeters.

With the soldering iron I make three strips of 8mm (the remaining 1mm is melted away Cheesy)
Then I simply glue it on the seam (which is 7mm - or sometimes 8mm) and stich it like a normal seam.

Krijn
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Sorry I am late... Just tuning in to watch my kites being built...
I must say I really appreciate You doing this for me, and I can already tell the quality will be top notch.

That magnet sail... whew... thats hot.
Sixth sense sail... Classy

BTW: hope you can put some time on these birds before sending them across the pond. Would be great to see what they can really do in a video.
WolvenX
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11 AM »

What glue do you use?  There are so many I'd like to know which you feel is best. Thx

You can either fly or die, personally I'll fly!!!

Kites: x2 Jazz; x2 Microns; Quantum; Zephyr; Ozone; Alien; Illusion 2K; E2; E3; Redback (hold the line Kites); Silver Fox (vented) Talon & Iridium on the way !!!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 02:47 AM »

It's coming out nicely!
Loads of work for the pin-striping, isn't it?!

Do these sails have a curved spine seam?
If so, how do you go about the glueing and sewing?
This is a step I am always anxious about... I don't know whether I'm giving the right curvature or not...

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Krijn

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 01:42 PM »

I hope you can put some time on these birds before sending them across the pond. Would be great to see what they can really do in a video.

Ok, thanks for that. I like to fly them to check the bridle and weight. A video? Maybe.

What glue do you use?  There are so many I'd like to know which you feel is best. Thx

I do use a Pritt-roller, like this:

You can make strips of glue, with a width of 6 mm: exactly what we need!

I do not glue the entire seam, only a bit every few centimeters. It works great. I also use this glue for the Leading Edges and all the reinforcements. I doesn't stick to the needle of the sewing machine.

Loads of work for the pin-striping, isn't it?!

Do these sails have a curved spine seam?
If so, how do you go about the glueing and sewing?
This is a step I am always anxious about... I don't know whether I'm giving the right curvature or not...

The pinstriping isn't that much work. I takes some time to make the 8mm-strips, but that's all. And I think some kites look fantastic with pinstriping. Especially kites with straight lines; like the Sixth Sense.

Sorry, no curved spine. But I've got experience with that (Essence, Quartz, B'Zar), but I never saw it as a problem. If you have finished the two halves of the sail, just overlay the two part with the 6 or 7mm asked for. Also after the bend. Glue it, stich it. Yes, it will bend upwards, but just ignore that; it will be okay if you tension the kite.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document