GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building a Magnet and a Sixth Sense  (Read 9345 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Krijn,

What diameter of material did you use for the nose piece on the SS.  Or did you simply use the pattern from the Invictus.  Just wondering, thanks!
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 11:56 PM »

Krijn,

What diameter of material did you use for the nose piece on the SS.  Or did you simply use the pattern from the Invictus.  Just wondering, thanks!

No, the Invictus-nose is different! The top of the spine is 0,5cm below the top of the nose. I can post a picture if you want. Not the case with the Sixth Sense.

I use a circle with a diameter of 10 - 10,5 cm, I use a (small) soup plate for that  Wink.

Yesterday I made another Sixth Sense's nose and I used a square piece of Bisonyl (GREAT stuff). I did this because of a stitchfailure in the top of the centre-seam (it is hidden now) and I also think it looks a bit better on the rectangular Sixth Sense (the kite was with light Icarex near the nose).`
Need a picture?

Krijn
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 07:11 AM »

Post all the pix you want... not because I need to see what you are talking about, just because I like to look at it. :-)
Krijn

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Ok, this is the nose of the Invictus:

And the Sixth Sense (again):

This is how I screwed up the centre seam of a new Sixth Sense (not yours, Tom):

I used a square 10.5 by 10.5 cm piece of Bisonyl (like the Magnet) to hide the small zigzag:

This is the backside: don't forget to cut some Bisonyl from the piece poiting down. I cut it to create a 3cm width, exactly how far the two vertical stitches are apart from eachother. I think I like this nose better on the Sixth Sense.

Krijn
Lou

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2013, 03:14 PM »

Krijn,

No, the Invictus-nose is different! The top of the spine is 0,5cm below the top of the nose. I can post a picture if you want. Not the case with the Sixth Sense.

For some reason I thought the Invictus used a round nose panel also.  But yes I understood that the Invictus was a different sewing pattern.  Just wondered about the overall diameter was all.   Smiley

I use a circle with a diameter of 10 - 10,5 cm, I use a (small) soup plate for that  Wink.

Perfect, that's what I wanted to know!  Thank you.

Yesterday I made another Sixth Sense's nose and I used a square piece of Bisonyl (GREAT stuff). I did this because of a stitchfailure in the top of the centre-seam (it is hidden now) and I also think it looks a bit better on the rectangular Sixth Sense (the kite was with light Icarex near the nose).`
Need a picture?

I always love pictures... in fact your Magnet images got me so into the Flo-Yellow, Black, White theme I decided to re-sail my Quartz with those colors.  Here's my fake Magnet  Cheesy

Freshly cut panels

Photoshopped pinstripes

Should I pinstripe or not?  Don't want to hijack your build thread either!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:39 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Krijn

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Hmm, I think you are right.
The Invictus uses a round nose! When I built my Invictus a few years ago, I had no source for Bisonyl so I used some other stuff (it is still in good shape).

Yes for the pinstriping, maybe not between the two grey panels.

Krijn
Lou

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 03:33 PM »

Hmm, I think you are right.
The Invictus uses a round nose! When I built my Invictus a few years ago, I had no source for Bisonyl so I used some other stuff (it is still in good shape).

Yes for the pinstriping, maybe not between the two grey panels.

Krijn

Good idea... not sure what I was thinking there.  Glad it was on the computer first and not already sewn in!!!! Huh  I am definitely still drunk on receiving the Mylar from such a kind chap from the NL  Cool

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 05:47 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
kepople

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04 AM »

Thats going to look great in the air! Nice color choice  Wink
sugarbaker

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04 PM »

For tpatter?! I've been trying to get him to build a kite for months!  I'll still probably try.  Glad he found you to help him out... he's been eyeing my Sixth Sense pretty much since I finished it. 

Now I'll have to find another excellent kite to tempt him with (to build that is).  Kites are looking good.  I finally started planning my own Magnet (inspired by your build Krijn). 
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31 PM »

I finally started planning my own Magnet (inspired by your build Krijn). 
The Magnet is one fun kite.  I'm sure you won't regret building It (and if you do let me know. Wink)
Krijn

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2013, 02:01 PM »

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=9943.0
Krijn

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2013, 01:33 PM »

Ok, Magnet 100% done. I (finally) made a sleeve and the kite is very good.

I didn't fly the Sixth Sense again, but I checked the bridle. It shifted a bit or I did something wrong the first time. 5 and 8 mm's wrong at two places. Fixed it very fast.
I also checked all connectorpositions by putting it next to my own Sixth Sense. And they all matched.

The Sixth Sense is back in it's new sleeve and I'll test it again tomorrow.

Krijn
Krijn

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Some pictures of the Sixth Sense, again made by Lars Fakkeldij.

This was at the Twenterand Kitefestival were a small delegation of our Tricksparty-members took part. We also flew some demo's and ballets with additional comments to tell people about trickkiting.

I'll tell something about it (after the corrections) in a few hours.

Krijn
Krijn

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2013, 04:44 AM »

Yes, the Sixth Sense is flying like mine now. The bridle is now ok and I added 3 grams of weigth.

- Solid lines and precision.
 - Slow and reliable in the tricks.
 - Big windrange.
So just like how a Sixth Sense should be flying.

I also did shoot some video (without the 3 grams, I lost it). I'll search for some music tonight and upload it.

Some things to do: sew the patch for the upperspreader and make a new weigth (to include the added 3 grams).
kepople

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00 AM »

That looks great too! Glad to hear you got the kinks figured out...

Thanks for the photos guys...
cant wait to see some video
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document