GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Folding away a Classic Illusion  (Read 1472 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 30, 2013, 12:30 AM »

Hi,

I just got a classic Illusion for my collection  Grin

Since I got it last Tuesday I have not folded it away yet because I like seeing it  Cool and because I have to do some unforeseen repairs on some rips on the mylar.

Once I get to go to fly it and have to put it in my bag and in the trunk of my car, I will need to fold it and place it in its sleve.

So I was wondering whether I only take off LS & US and fold it like that, or whether I have to loosen the tension on the LE by loosening the loops at the tips.
I never do this with my other kites because they have straight LE's.
But since the Illusion has curved LE's I was wondering whether this was necessary...

Not that I "would love to do it" because it took me a good while and a good deal of effort to get the two loops in the tip knocks!!!  Sad  Roll Eyes
So if I can spare me having to do that every time I would be more than happy.

Comments appreciated.
Thanks

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01 AM »

[...] So I was wondering whether I only take off LS & US and fold it like that, or whether I have to loosen the tension on the LE by loosening the loops at the tips.
But since the Illusion has curved LE's I was wondering whether this was necessary...

Of course for all kites with curved Leading Edges.

If you don't loose the loops at the tips, your Illusion will not fits in it's bag...
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:24 AM »

[...] So I was wondering whether I only take off LS & US and fold it like that, or whether I have to loosen the tension on the LE by loosening the loops at the tips.

Of course for all kites with curved Leading Edges.

If you don't loose the loops at the tips, your Illusion will not fits in it's bag...

OK so the question now is. Which is the best and easiest way of doing this because it really took me a good amount of time and I was afraid I would break the flaps of the knock at the tip...  Sad

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Michel

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37 AM »

OK so the question now is. Which is the best and easiest way of doing this because it really took me a good amount of time and I was afraid I would break the flaps of the knock at the tip...  Sad

Put a little Dyneema bridle into the loop. It's the best way IMHO.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01 AM »

There are many flyers I know who never untensioned their leading edges.......and those kites live to this day.....
Really comes down to whether or not you are bothered by the tips sticking out of the bag a bit......

There used to be a video on how to hookup and release the loops on those kites......but I know that we used to change the loops out and put on a line that had a loop on one end.....hook the loop on the nock and then run the line through the tab and back up and over the nock.....then pull it tight and do a series of half hatches around the line and rod to hold the tension......
Less chance of breaking the nock this way too....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Michel

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:09 AM »

There are many flyers I know who never untensioned their leading edges.......and those kites live to this day.....

But that's not possible with kites like the Prism Illusion with curved leading edges...

Impossible to put it in it's sleeve if you don't untension the leading edge before !

There used to be a video on how to hookup and release the loops on those kites......but I know that we used to change the loops out and put on a line that had a loop on one end.....hook the loop on the nock and then run the line through the tab and back up and over the nock.....then pull it tight and do a series of half hatches around the line and rod to hold the tension......

Yes but by this way, you're never sure that the tension is equal on both Leading Edges.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:13 AM by Michel » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21 AM »

But that's not possible with kites like the Prism Illusion with curved leading edges...

Impossible to put it in it's sleeve if you don't untension the leading edge before !

Yes but by this way, you're never sure that the tension is equal on both Leading Edges.

That's not entirely true. It depends on which sleeve you have for your Illusion. I have 3 Illusions and one I2K. 2 of the Illusions have the tight sleeves that the kites wouldn't fit, but 2 of them have sleeves that have enough room to leave the tips tensioned. I de-tension the wingtips of all my curved LE kites only because of the long periods of storage between flights. All of mine have wingtip lashings that you have to tie & untie each time. I have left the tips tensioned if I was going to fly the kite soon, but I don't fly those kites very much anymore.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:44 AM »

yes, if i remember correctly the length of the sleeve was addressed by Prism eventually and they were made longer for this reason....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
alien

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 06:53 AM »

Ive always thought scrunching,crushing,forcing,folding my sand encrusted salt wind soaked sails into its storage hole cant be good for its personal health and then you are meant to scrunch it even tighter by zipping up the sleeve case and whilst doing so avoid getting it caught in the zipper,its horrible,let alone pulling it out and it gets caught some place inside.   Sad   Angry
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21 AM »

Ive always thought scrunching,crushing,forcing,folding my sand encrusted salt wind soaked sails into its storage hole cant be good for its personal health and then you are meant to scrunch it even tighter by zipping up the sleeve case and whilst doing so avoid getting it caught in the zipper,its horrible,let alone pulling it out and it gets caught some place inside.   Sad   Angry

So what do you do then?

In my bag...
alien

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:22 AM »

Hopefully not have to   Huh   Shocked     Angry   Cry   
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:20 PM »

De-tension the leading edge. If your Illy is equipped with O rings, use the upper spreader to lever them off.

But.

It's better to replace the O rings with some Dacron line, 170lb or so, or waxed shoe laces(same thing).

Do not use the velcro kite keeper if you have it. Or if you do have it, do not crank it down around the kite. It will cause damage over time.

That is, unless you have YoYo stoppers fitted, in which case you should use it to keep them from punching holes in your kite.

But putting stoppers on an Illy would be sacrilege IMO.

I can't find that .gif that illustrated how to tension the leading edge with line, but there is a diagram on page 4 of the following Zephyr .pdf

http://www.prismkites.com/download/PK_zephyr.pdf

HTH
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:27 PM by JimB » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:33 PM »

I never use those velcro wraps.

Personally, I loosely roll up the sail around itself,
not around the trio of spars (2 leading edges and the spine).

Put the spine and 2 leading edges next to each other,
the sail should then hang in 2 loose curves.
Roll the curves loosely around themselves.
Place in bag, then shake the bag to inflate the sail within the bag.

Yo-Yo stoppers on a Classic Illusion??  Huh

The Horror.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:36 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 12:08 AM »

Yes! That's just like the one I got (#3301)

And it does fit in the sleve without detensioning the sail.
Moreover, it only has double loops of the line that is sewn to the tip of the sail and therefore I cannot undo them...
So I can neither do the tensioning as in the Zeph manual that JimB posted, or put any special loops...
So, for the time being I will leave them tensioned, especially because it seems that for a long time this kite has been folded in half (the LE's) and I want the material to lose the creases generated in the middle of the sails.

Thanks for all the suggestions and guide!

In my bag...
alien

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:32 AM »

That is a great photo and also of a very good looker!
Ive been staring at it for i dont know how long and my imagination ran wild,Area 51,Dallas Cowboys,Soccer? and
even night flying under those massive lights?  Shocked
PS:The kite is a very good looker!   Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change