GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello ! new to the site  (Read 1918 times)
rustygun
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 28, 2013, 10:01 AM »

I was looking for an active forum, ( as a lot are sorta dead in the water) so this place looks good! Don't know if this post is in the right section, didn't find a "new member" topic area. Anyway, I'm an old flyer from way back in Southern California, started out with a Tony Cyphert 21ft delta, ( if anybody remembers him) it was a great kite, it would top out almost vertical, then float overhead for hours....wonderful.  At present I'm living in Stockholm Sweden, and fly an ITW Sweet 16...excellent kite, I'm probably a die hard delta fan...

Looking forward to reading this forum. 

64th latitude north...where global warming is a plus.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33 AM »

i know that Tony's family is active on facebook and there is a Cyphert kite group....
i am guessing that very very few of his kites made it east past the rockies...

welcome!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:22 AM »

Welcome.

The main ingredient to an "active forum" is direct participation.

I hope you will do more than merely read the forum.

Now that you have introduced yourself, please feel free to

tell stories, ask questions, answer questions, post photos or movies.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
rustygun

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Thanks for the welcome.  I flew the Redondo beach kite  festival several years back in the mid 80s, the last year I attended I actually met Tony on the beach, he walked up and said "yup, looks like one of mine"... ( seeing as it was the biggest thing in the air..lol) and spent the day discussing the tether to heaven.   Strange how the magic never ceases, regardless of age.

I've had the good luck of finding a little house near the centre of Stockholm on a dead end street with a park literally out my front gate, so once I get settled in and unpacked, I hope to get some big air by the end of the week, been fooling around with some military 3mm line, interested to see the stretch factor with the 16.

Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Welcome!  Wink

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34 PM »

Welcome, you are in one of happiest places in the world. Spread the joy and share your secrets. If you ever come back to USA west coast I have a great flying field.
CV

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Cyphert

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »

I have a bunch of great deltas. All tony deltas as he was my grandfather. If you make it to wsikf in long beach this year we are having a tony cyphert group fly. As well as finishing the last two kites he was making when he passed away.
I'm matt btw
Cheers
rustygun

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 06:33 AM »

I have a bunch of great deltas. All tony deltas as he was my grandfather. If you make it to wsikf in long beach this year we are having a tony cyphert group fly. As well as finishing the last two kites he was making when he passed away.
I'm matt btw
Cheers

Wow thats something!!! The man loved kites, in fact it was his 21ft delta that got me hooked. When I moved to Sweden, I flew it at several kite shows, people were amazed how easy it was to fly, that kite never failed me in any wind condition. When the fabric finally got weak at the spar ends, I bought some new ripstop and copied the exact measurements, and used the original aluminum spars, so his kite is still flying today....!!   Matt do you plan to build more?

Cheers Rusty

Cyphert

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51 AM »

Some day it would be nice to build some. His deltas fly amazing!  I'm interested on the size of aluminum spars and connectors that were used. I can't seam to find any info on them. I have a 30 footer and am not sure what to use in it. I also have 3 20 footers and a lot of small ones.  He was a kite pioneer for sure. Always working on the newest fanciest stuff. 80s were really good for kiting.
alien

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35 AM »

Welcome rustygun,
this is the place to be!
There are hours of video posts on  kites past n present with trick tech n tips in them or you just post a question and pilots from around the globe  answer it with their take or idea on the solution.
Snoop back through the old posts as they are endless.
The videos here are hotstuff and very addictive....GOT ANY MAN!
Check out the kite building section and soon you will drooling over the keyboard then searching online for a sewing machine.
Welcome...but you have been warned.......  Shocked

rustygun

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:07 PM »

Some day it would be nice to build some. His deltas fly amazing!  I'm interested on the size of aluminum spars and connectors that were used. I can't seam to find any info on them. I have a 30 footer and am not sure what to use in it. I also have 3 20 footers and a lot of small ones.  He was a kite pioneer for sure. Always working on the newest fanciest stuff. 80s were really good for kiting.

Well the spars are 20mm-1.5mm tubing  2024 T3 grade, ridged and very tough, you can use 3in 22mm sleeves to connect the spars. ( horizontal and vertical)   depending on the kite size, you can cut them to fit. I keep both wing spars at 2m length sections for easy transport ( 20ft delta)

Its best to just buy 10ft lengths and cut to fit the existing kite your going to fly. ( 20ft delta)  as for your 30ft delta, I would use 25mm-2.mm as your stress factor is much larger. 

I figure Tony had good reason for using alu. spars, even though the argument for carbon is good.

Cyphert

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 05:39 AM »

glad to hear there are his deltas still out flying. i know a few museums have a few.  there are many over sees and a large number were shipped to the east coast they were all over the place. they were the main delta kite of the 80s.  ill have 3 new 20 footers by end of summer! made in 1987 and finished 2013.
rustygun

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07 PM »

glad to hear there are his deltas still out flying. i know a few museums have a few.  there are many over sees and a large number were shipped to the east coast they were all over the place. they were the main delta kite of the 80s.  ill have 3 new 20 footers by end of summer! made in 1987 and finished 2013.

Well I would be interested in one of the 20'......  so please keep me posted if you are willing to sell one.

Best Regards.

Cyphert

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:13 PM »

yeah im holding on to these for life. i do want to think about maybe making some these are by for the best flying most stable kite i have ever flown.  im always looking for more as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document