GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 10:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we get into building?  (Read 2090 times)
sethvincent
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 07, 2013, 01:01 PM »

Hi,
 I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. My daughter (11) is getting less and less interested in doing things that involve me. She still loved kites though and is often asking if we can go fly them. Well, all we have are generic walmart kites and she loses interest quickly.  She wants a stunt kite. I want a better stunt kite (have a generic one I got on clearance at walmart)
  Her birthday is coming up the 1st of August, and I thought it would be a great time to get her a decent kite. I'm on disability and the budget is really tight.  I've got a sewing machine.  We started thinking, hey, if we learned to make kites, we could do whatever we wanted, we wouldn't have to try to be happy with something else we find.
 The more I look into it though, the more I wonder , from an economic stand point, are we better off trying to save up and buy a couple better quality kites? or would it be financially feasible to build a couple?
 What do you guys think?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:09 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

A high end sport kite (made to a published plan) will cost you at least $100.

That's due to the initial purchase of all the little stuff in addition to the rods

and fabric. You might be able to get by for a little less.

You could buy something like the Prism Quantum ($100) or Hypnotist ($140)

and have a well made, proven sport kite. There are many kites made in this

price range, I am merely naming a few proven to be popular.

You could also look into purchasing a kite from our Swap Meet. The prices

are reasonable and the sellers have "street cred" with the fliers here.

My daughter use to fly with me on occasion. But the years and miles have

diminished those opportunities. Enjoy your time with her.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:11 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:13 PM »

Seth, where are you located?   There might be other flyers in your area who could help wow her...
And I would definitely try making a kite together....it might not fly well or it could fly great.....try it, spend the time!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Thief's right, fun to get together with other and try some kites.

Found single line kites are easier than stunts kites to build. Sewing is not always cheaper. You have rods and a lot of small parts to built.

smaller dual line parafoil kites (1.4 size) can be inexpensive and fun for beginners.
sethvincent

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33 PM »

thank you for all the advice everybody.
 we are in the northwest corner of Ohio, about an hour west of Toledo
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08 PM »

Seth ... we disabled folk need to stick together.
If you decide to buy rather than build email me and I can work out a smoking deal for you.
steve@gwtwkites.com

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 01:11 AM »

Hi,

In my view, building is indeed fun and instructive. But I would start by building a single line kite.
It is MUCH cheaper and MUCH more forgiving to initial building deficiencies and mishaps.
There are plenty of types and you can start really cheap and go up from there.
Here you have tons of kite plans and instructions to start from: http://www.kiteplans.org/
For example:
All these have from very low cost to very reasonable cost.
(you can skip one step if you really like one in the upper types that really motivates you. Often motivation makes more than practise and knowledge.  Wink

If you would like to start the stunt kite fever, I would advice you to follow Chilese's advise.
Prism kites are great for starting but also HQ has a few.
Also, as said, you can either buy a new one or a second hand and it can be a great deal.

I think that to start flying a dual liner stunt kite it is better to be on the safe side and make sure it is well built.
So I would not recommend starting by building one yourselves.
Otherwise you will have a double source of frustration: the lack of ability learner's frustration plus the build defects frustration.
If you cannot control a stunt kite when learning you will not understand what stunt kite flying is and you will lose all momentum and motivation.

So, to summarise, I think you can get the best of both worlds by having a great time constructing and flying a single line kite at a very reasonable cost, as well as getting into the dual line world with a reasonably priced entry level kite.

And take a look at Steve's offer. He always has something great hidden in his sleeve.    Wink

And I hope you have a lot of fun!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 01:16 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
sethvincent

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:18 AM »

Thanks for all the advice guys, a lot of points were brought up that I had not thought about.
I will try to figure out what materials we need and start simple with building.
For stunt kites, my first "real" stunt kite will be bought.  Someday I'd like to build a huge Rok, and a parafoil.
Off to check out the patterns. Thanks again :]
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 01:04 PM »

Thank you for being a caring father!! your daughter is a lucky almost young lady I hope building and flying together gets you a few more years of her childhood They grow up WAY TOO FAST
 Regards Grandpa KO

have fun kurt
sethvincent

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 02:49 PM »

thanks Ko :]

we my have to switch our interests to low wind kites. We had an AWFUL day today trying to fly. we have what seemed like a decent wind, then nothing, then the wind would be a different direction but you could barely feel it, then some good wind, then drop off again. Totally frustrating.
  It got us thinking about how, more often than not, we have very little wind. and we love kites, how ironic, lol
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04 PM »

Well to start with ... on June 22nd about an hour and half from Toledo is a Huge Kite Festival at Lake St. Clair Metro Park also check the date of the Maumee bay Kite Festival very soon...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Wayner

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 03:56 PM »

your can make your Rok as a low wind kite.  Grin
sethvincent

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 04:31 PM »

vertigo, thanks for the info, I'll try to make at least one of those events.
Wayner, I love the idea of a low wind Rok, I didn't know that was possible. That's what I'll be researching tonight :]
Wayner

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Wayner, I love the idea of a low wind Rok, I didn't know that was possible. That's what I'll be researching tonight :]

Here is the light wind 8 footer I built for KAP

The Rok is a easy kite to build. A good choice for a 1st build.

sethvincent

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Here is the light wind 8 footer I built for KAP

The Rok is a easy kite to build. A good choice for a 1st build.

I used to really like Rok's and now I'm starting to become obsessed with them. I have to admit, the whole materials thing is actually confusing me.  I know, I should be embarassed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document