GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 01:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scaled down 6th Sense or Invictus? Anyone made one?  (Read 3999 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 08, 2013, 11:23 AM »

I really am enjoying my 6th Sense and my Invictus and have been strongly considering making a scaled down version of one of them, probably the 6th Sense!

I have read a prior thread regarding  a 75% scaled down Invictus but I don't really want to scale my build down that much! I was thinking more of a 85-90% version!

I was wondering if any of you all have built them scaled down and whether you liked the scaled down version as well as the originals ...and what if any flight characteristic changes you noticed!

My current 6th Sense is an UL version and my Invictus is a standard!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:46 AM »

Hi,

Two questions from a total newbie:
1. Why do people scale down kites that already work well at full size?
2. In any case, once you have decided to scale down, why only 90%? Would seem such a small reduction...

I don't want to deviate the thread but I thought it was relevant to learn more about scaling down...
Thanks!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Those are good questions Ari! Not sure I can give you the best answer but I guess the main reason is that even though I love how these two kites fly, I've usually preferred flying a little smaller kites, like the Nirvana Manga which is essentially an NFX Extend ...and has been my #1 favorite kite for a long time! The 6th Sence and Invectus are quickly become my 2nd favorites ...and I still haven't decided which I prefer best! .

They usually fly a little faster & have less pull ...not that either of the above have excessive pull o the flight lines! Smaller kites also usually are lighter in weight and with the right combo of rods can fly in very low winds without losing their ability to do tricks!

Your other point that 90% is not much of a reduction in size is well taken so I might re-evaluate my %'s if I decide to go that route!

I may just end up building another full size kite in another wind range than the two I've already built!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Cool, thanks for your explanations.
However, I feel a bit guilty I might have made you change your mind...  Embarrassed
I was not trying to convince you of dropping the scaling down of the kites. I was only trying to understand the why's...

In any case, I'm looking forward to what others tell you and what the final outcome is.
Cheers.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:03 PM »

Do a search for "sixth sense 85".  Davide has actually posted specs for the sixth sense printed out at 85%.  Frame and bridle already worked out... There is a video somewhere too.
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Do a search for "sixth sense 85".  Davide has actually posted specs for the sixth sense printed out at 85%.  Frame and bridle already worked out... There is a video somewhere too.

Thanks for the help 'sugarbaker'!

It took a few different 'search wordings' but found it! Here it is complete with another great video ,,,this one with the SS 85%:
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7175.msg68862#msg68862

OH yeah ...and ....Decision made after watching the video! I'm gonna do it! Wink
CTaylor

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Hi,

2. In any case, once you have decided to scale down, why only 90%? Would seem such a small reduction...

I don't want to deviate the thread but I thought it was relevant to learn more about scaling down...
Thanks!

Smaller kites mean less pull, less input required, and faster speed through tricks.  Some people prefer this over a more "standard" kite size.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59 PM »

Hi,

Thanks!

Smaller kites mean less pull, less input required, and faster speed through tricks.  Some people prefer this over a more "standard" kite size.

Great thanks.

Also happy to see my questions did not affect photogbill's decision.  Smiley

In my bag...
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 10:11 AM »

i've got davide's sixth sense.85 now

nice kite

fast tricking!
good yoyo's, cometes crazy!
fast tazmachines

a bit nervous (of course)

a video is in the planning, but everytime conditions are bad...

Krijn
photogbill

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:30 AM »

Hi,

Thanks!

Great thanks.

Also happy to see my questions did not affect photogbill's decision.  Smiley

No worries! I can be pretty stuborn when I set my mind on something!  Grin
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31 AM »

i've got davide's sixth sense.85 now

nice kite

fast tricking!
good yoyo's, cometes crazy!
fast tazmachines

a bit nervous (of course)

a video is in the planning, but everytime conditions are bad...

Krijn

Thanks for the positive confirmation on the SS 85! Looking forward to seeing that video!
KiteChemist

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 04:20 PM »

I also made a scaled version of my Howitzer (scaled 88%, called Howitzer .88 or H88) (215x85)

It is a crazy kite, all tricks and combos are possible (even stupid easy yofades and crazy copters) and the yoyos are lightning fast. The most surprising thing is the very large windrange (both low and high). Cannot figure out how smaller kites (with usually highew sail loading) can fly so easily.

I published a video some time ago

photogbill

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13 PM »

I though I'd post an update on my new project! I got a little ambitious and decided to built 3 Sixth Sense 85s, all at the same time ...a Std. & UL for myself & a standard for a buddy.

Here's my two:
Standard

UL

I may decide to 'pin-stripe' the top edge of the red wing-panel.

Here's the one for my friend:

I'll start sewing the panels tomorrow.

*** Just a note to anyone else thinking about making an 85% Sixth Sense. The panel overlap is reduced to where the seams are very tight when using 1/4" seam tape. You might want to draw new, slightly wider seam overlaps before you make your  rip-stop templates. If I like the way these fly and ever decide to make any more, I'll probably make all new templates with expanded seams.***
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 12:05 AM »

Well, they all look good flat on a rug, so you know

they are going to look great finished.

Very nice.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 02:29 AM »

Attention: mine (from Davide himself) has got no leechline, but the Trailing Edge is stitched two times with a threestepzigzag.

Looking good, by the way.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document