GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scaled down 6th Sense or Invictus? Anyone made one?  (Read 3873 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31 PM »

I didn't think the earlier photo did my standard 6th Sense 85 justice so I took another one this evening! Still not ideal lighting but the colors showed up a little better on this one.

CTaylor

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Very sharp looking kites Bill.  You have come a long way in your building skills since you returned to sewing a few years ago.

As for the diagonal to straight panel alignment discussion.  I've always been in the straight panel alignment on the spine because I believe hard nose crashes can stretch and stress along the center seam and the fabric itself.  The standoffs will create a little pucker on that center panel which can be adjusted out with standoff positioning and length, but having the strength along the spine, I believe helps the kite over the test of time to reduce stretch and wear.

Oh and btw, I'm still digging my ol canon 40D.   Grin

photogbill

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Very sharp looking kites Bill.  You have come a long way in your building skills since you returned to sewing a few years ago.

As for the diagonal to straight panel alignment discussion.  I've always been in the straight panel alignment on the spine because I believe hard nose crashes can stretch and stress along the center seam and the fabric itself.  The standoffs will create a little pucker on that center panel which can be adjusted out with standoff positioning and length, but having the strength along the spine, I believe helps the kite over the test of time to reduce stretch and wear.

Oh and btw, I'm still digging my ol canon 40D.   Grin

Thanks Chris! And thanks for the insight on the panel layout discussion. You gave some good food for though.

I'm glad your still enjoying the 40D! Believe it or not, I sometimes wish I still had that great camera. The 40D has a great balance of pixels, color saturation & dynamic range. Some of the most beautiful shots I've ever taken were with that gem! Wink
Lou

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 08:56 PM »

i like the red/black/mylar one a lot!

As do I... it looks so much like my old 2002 GSXR 1000 color scheme!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:07 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
iwan00
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 01:32 AM »

Hi I ahve build Invictus scaled down to 75%, the first performance was pretty poor because of very big oversteer. at the moment i have finished tuning an i am pretty satisfied with results.

I have reduced it to single standoff and shortened LS to improve sail billow. Bridle is very much modified to avoid oversteere.

After first part of correction:

invictus75

here is sample video of current performance :

Invictus75 Łeba 2013

unfortunately poor quality and too strong wind for this kite
If You are intrested in specified plans I can update project and post it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:34 AM by iwan00 » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 12:30 PM »

iwan00 ...I had an extreme amount of oversteer with my full-sized Invictus. I routinely make my bridles with pigtails at each connecting points. I make 5 knots on the pigtails so that the center knot is where I larkshead the bridle leg for the default specification. The knots are approx. 1cm apart. This way I can make adjustments in either direction on all bridle legs if I need to for wind conditions or other reasons!

I ended up adjusting my Invictus to the top (closest to leading edge) knot on the ULE & the farthest outward knot ( farthest away from LE) on the LLE connector. THat solved the problem & made my Invictus a very enjoyable kite to fly! Although it flies differently from my full-sized 6th Sense ...I'm still undecided as to which one of the two excellent flying kites that I like flying the most!  Wink

Thanks for your offer on posting your mods! If I ever decide to build a scaled down Invictus, I think I would prefer one that is 85% like the 6th Sence 85s I have already built. 85% ends up being pretty much my preferred kite size.

Both the full-sized 6th Sense & Invictus were a surprise to me and the exception to the rule ...in that I was pleasantly surprised how much I like flying both ...even though both are quite a bit larger than the kites I usually prefer to fly!
iwan00
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37 PM »

I ended up adjusting my Invictus to the top (closest to leading edge) knot on the ULE & the farthest outward knot ( farthest away from LE) on the LLE connector. THat solved the problem & made my Invictus a very enjoyable kite to fly!
Thanks for description of Your modifications.
I have performed very simillar adjustments, but i have also shortenned inner leg (To CT connector) a little bit.

In my opinion downsizaed kites are very demanding in clear inputs and can learn You a lot of precision but they gives a large amount of fun. They can perform tricks so fast that non of full size kite never does.
ae

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Sharp looking kites, good work building those.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 02:07 PM »

I ended up adjusting my Invictus to the top (closest to leading edge) knot on the ULE & the farthest outward knot ( farthest away from LE) on the LLE connector. THat solved the problem & made my Invictus a very enjoyable kite to fly!
Thanks for description of Your modifications.
I have performed very simillar adjustments, but i have also shortenned inner leg (To CT connector) a little bit.

In my opinion downsizaed kites are very demanding in clear inputs and can learn You a lot of precision but they gives a large amount of fun. They can perform tricks so fast that non of full size kite never does.

I completely agree - smaller kites are just fun fun fun!  Also, due to less pull and smaller inputs, you can usually fly them more comfortably in higher winds.  One final bonus - when you go back to your larger, slower full sizer, everything seems easier because its all much slower.

-Tom

6 kite tom
photogbill

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 11:30 AM »

Sharp looking kites, good work building those.

Thank you for the compliments!
photogbill

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 08:08 AM »

The forum seems to have slowed down a bit lately. I guess most are out flying and enjoying their kites instead of sitting home on forum chatting ...which is a good thing!

I just thought I'd update my last post after having a great flying session with my SS 85s. After my first flying session with the pair, I decided to swap out the rods between the two making the all ripstop one an UL instead of a std. version since it was the one with the silent flight due to the leach line. My reasoning was that I thought it would have a better low-wind performance and the mylar one a std. ...thinking that in higher winds the fluttering trailing edge would be an advantage in the higher wind range of the kite, slowing it down a bit for better control.

Last Saturday I headed off to the beach and enjoyed some lab-grade winds coming right off the ocean @ approx. 8-10 mph! Both kites flew excellently in those winds! I can't thank Davlde enough for sharing his orginal designs & the 85% specs and build details!

Lastly, I would strongly recommend to anyone who has built a full-sized SS ....don't hesitate on building an 85%er! You will NOT be sorry!  Grin
Lou

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43 PM »

What was the dimensions of the SS85.  I would really like something 220cm x 80cm.
photogbill

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 10:25 PM »

What was the dimensions of the SS85.  I would really like something 220cm x 80cm.

My SS85 measures 80" X 34" ...or 203cm X 86cm!
Lou

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2013, 06:09 PM »

So maybe 90% is where I'm looking to go then.  I thought D.E. said the Supernova was a 95%reduced SS, but when he indicated a wingspan of 238cm that's not exactly what I thought would be the size unless it was a typo and he meant 228cm.  I think 228 would also be a perfect size for my skill and enjoyment range.
photogbill

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »

So maybe 90% is where I'm looking to go then.  I thought D.E. said the Supernova was a 95%reduced SS, but when he indicated a wingspan of 238cm that's not exactly what I thought would be the size unless it was a typo and he meant 228cm.  I think 228 would also be a perfect size for my skill and enjoyment range.

I haven't done the math on a 90% reduction but I don't think you have to be worried about the smaller size SS85 being too fast or above your skill level. The SS85 flies really nicely for a smaller kite, much better than most kites it's size, IMO! If you are worried about the speed, you might want to make yours without a leech line to slow it down a little (like one of the ones I made). It will make some noise but not anything horrendous! Even though they both fly extremely well and very similar, I personally prefer having the leech line in it for silent flight! 

Anyway, whatever route you take, good luck with it and keep us posted!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document