GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 11:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how much wind does a 2 line parafoil need?  (Read 1196 times)
sethvincent
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 08, 2013, 03:00 PM »

I know they are normally used for power, but what's the minimum wind speed needed for say a 1.9 just to fly it, not to actually pull anything
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:53 PM »

The Snapshot 1.9 says that it's rated for 4-25 mph. 

That's might be a tad optimistic and you might want another 2 mph unless you want to be "working" the kite.

Confirm the size and method of measurement.  Most foils are measured in square meters.  However, some manufacturers measure wing span and not area for their smaller foils.  This can lead to some confusion.

For example:

Snapshot 1.9 has a wingspan of  Wing Span of 76" (193 cm) or 1.9 Meters.  Sail area is acutally 16.1 sq ft  or 1.5 sq meters.

The size designated by their names for the Ozone Quatrros are spans with the sail area actually being quite different for some sizes.

Ozone Quattro 1.6 has a sail area of 1.0 square meters
Ozone Quattro 2.0 has a sail area of 1.5 square meters.
Ozone Quattro 2.5 has a sail area of 2.5 square meters.
Ozone Quattro 3.0 has a sail area of 2.9 square meters.

When shopping confirm that the measurement you are being given is sail width or sail area.  It can make a lot of difference.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:35 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
sethvincent

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:02 PM »

thanks wolf
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:40 PM »

Just a word of caution when looking at parafoils. I have a 1.9 prism and over 15mph I do not recommend it for the young or less strong. If I remember correctly from your posts you have a young daughter and have some slight disabilities. I would stay with the 1.4 or one of the other smaller foils.

Just remember, wind pushes big ships so respect the power.
sethvincent

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:56 PM »

thank you for the heads up . I appreciate that.
Does a smaller parafoil need less wind because its lighter, or does it need more wind because of its smaller surface area?
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 05:51 PM »

I haven't flown a foil in less than 5mph, and at 5mph, any size is work to stay in the air. 5-15mph is where they shine, higher than that, even the little ones drag you around !

indigo_wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 06:47 PM »

thank you for the heads up . I appreciate that.
Does a smaller parafoil need less wind because its lighter, or does it need more wind because of its smaller surface area?

It's a bit of a balancing act.  The foil needs to generate enough drive to overcome the weight of its sail and the drag generated by it's bridle.  After that, any drive it generates is translated into power/pull or speed depending on its design.

There are some foils that are built for power and some for speed.  Other foils are "detuned" and some of their power bleeds off of their trailing edge due to their design and/or how they are bridled.  Basically, there are "traction" foils and "recreational" foils.

Are you looking for a parafoil to just "bomb"/fly around the sky with?   What are the typical winds in your area?

Did you have a budget in mind?

And most importantly  Smiley, if this is for your daughter's birthday, does she have a color preference?  Wink

ATB,
Sam
sethvincent

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I need to be honest, the parafoil would be for me.  I woudn't want it for pulling, but just for flying. Thought it would be neat to have a parafoil stunt kite.
 Odessa thinks they are really neat too and although she'd like to have a blue and black one, or a blue and black anything at this point, lol. I'm not sure she's have the butt to drive one, lol.
 Unfortunately, our wind is USUALLY really light.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 08:05 PM »

1st there is no perfect kite. So one kite can not do it all. Don't kill yourself trying Cheesy

Really light wind kites are a specialty kite. I.E. high cost and not very durable for learning. Usually not a place  beginners start. How often to you get any decent wind?

Foils can fly in 5mph, but have two issues, hard to launch in low winds, a 2nd person helps. They have a smaller wind window (range flying left to right) in low winds than a normal stunt kite.

I have the 1.9. Good kite. don't fly it over 12-13 mph because it pulls strong. Wears me out quickly. Really enjoyed the 1.4 also. Only time I flew it was in light winds. I flew the Ozone once, guessing it was the 1.5. It was quick and the lines where short, making it difficult to control.

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02 PM »

Some foils will do fine with skill in no wind:

Ozone Yakuza (GT) No Wind Kite
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40 AM »

Some makers have a range of 'beach' foils (HQ amongst others) which are designed for fun and families and pull rather less than the 'sport' foils. 

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Some foils will do fine with skill in no wind:

Ozone Yakuza (GT) No Wind Kite

The Yakuza GT (like the Flysurfer Speed) will leave some with aneurysms  due to sticker shock.

ATB,
Sam
sethvincent

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 02:38 PM »

We are going to get a snapshot 1.4.  When the wind isn't right, I'll just have to learn to be patient and find something else to do :]
sethvincent

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:03 PM »

we got the snapshot 1.4 today!  oh my god, I was hopeful that I would enjoy it, but I had no idea it would be that much fun.  My daughter wants a 1.2 now Tongue
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:04 AM »

Excellent, another addict Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum