GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 04:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Domann Genki assembly help  (Read 9708 times)
appleb
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 09, 2013, 08:39 AM »

I ordered and received a Premier Kites Domann Genki Butterfly kite. Right now I'm just assembling it in my condo to get familiar with the kite. I have a few questions as the kite as it came with no assembly instructions.

It is branded by 'Colours in Motion' instead of Premier Kites.  Are all the butterfly genkis made by them?

I assembled it with the horizontal spreaders above the spines, is this correct?

I could not fit the horizontal spreader into the pockets without leaving an inch or so on each end.  Any tighter and the spreader begins to bend uncomfortably.  Should I still tighten it up more, or is it okay how I've done it here?

The connection at the tow point is very complicated.  I've never seen bridling like this before and curious why it's like this.  Is this for added strength?

There is this blue metal 'washer' thing that I can slide horizontally towards the middle of the kite to bow the kite. Should this piece be positioned on the front or the back of the kite?  The way the line is sewed to the kite, it looks like this is meant to be in the front... but that bows the kite like a parafoil.  Is a genki supposed to bow like that?

I don't see any kite attachment loops on the kite.  I can attach the tails where the bungee lines keep the vertical spars in place.  Is it safe to attach like this?  I don't want the tail pulling the line off the spar.

Thanks for any help!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:34 AM by appleb » Logged
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:14 AM »

I had about the same questions awhile back including the daisy chained bridle, if you go to single line kites page 4 to my topic New Genki HELP! there is like 6 pages of questions and answers, sure brings back memories. Check it out, it should cover most of your questions.
appleb

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Ah thanks, I found the thread...

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7684.0

I was kind of hoping I would not have to unravel that bridle... it looks quite intimidating.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:12 AM »

The braid is really quiet simple.
Here's a video doing the same thing with an electric cord.
http://youtu.be/eaEv9wm6gy0
On a kite you made the loop with your fingers. Myott should be able to go to the end of the loops and pull it straight out.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:26 AM »

I ordered and received a Premier Kites Domann Genki Butterfly kite. Right now I'm just assembling it in my condo to get familiar with the kite. I have a few questions as the kite as it came with no assembly instructions.

It is branded by 'Colours in Motion' instead of Premier Kites.  Are all the butterfly genkis made by them?

Carsten Domann of Germany designed that specific genki kite.....
Colors in Motion is the European distributor for Premier Kites and they have a very close relationship where Premier does special kite strictly for CIM.   

I assembled it with the horizontal spreaders above the spines, is this correct?

This question comes up all of the time with Roks as well....personally i would have the spines be against the skin and the spreader on top of them all.

I could not fit the horizontal spreader into the pockets without leaving an inch or so on each end.  Any tighter and the spreader begins to bend uncomfortably.  Should I still tighten it up more, or is it okay how I've done it here?

Most of the mass produced genkis out there are desigend to have a bit of extra rod to make sure that the spreader is long enough.   If you made (or happened to get a hand made one) a genki yourself you would probably cut the spreader to the correct length -or closer to it- but then you are making that rod set for that kite....where as there is probably one guy making Xmany rod sets for a genki and just going on the measured length but not trying each one individually....
it will work...or you could pop the cap off and dremel off an inch to make it fit better.....

The connection at the tow point is very complicated.  I've never seen bridling like this before and curious why it's like this.  Is this for added strength?

daisy chain has been mentioned already above.

There is this blue metal 'washer' thing that I can slide horizontally towards the middle of the kite to bow the kite. Should this piece be positioned on the front or the back of the kite?  The way the line is sewed to the kite, it looks like this is meant to be in the front... but that bows the kite like a parafoil.  Is a genki supposed to bow like that?

the bow line is on the BACK...you will have to figure out what tension is best for you and your flying area and winds....most genkis are only bowed slightly (2-3")....but genkis are for super low winds and you want the kite to be as flat as possible...you might find that it will fly more stable with more bow in it in higher winds - but i would not bow it more than 6" or have it out in more than 8mph of wind personally

I don't see any kite attachment loops on the kite.  I can attach the tails where the bungee lines keep the vertical spars in place.  Is it safe to attach like this?  I don't want the tail pulling the line off the spar.

That is the exact way i would attach the tails...the tails are not going to be pulling that much to pull the tension line off...
Go fly! and take a pic of in up in the air!!!!

btw: in case you are not aware genkis like to fly at a very high angle....generally straight above you....and then sometimes it might overfly you (go further upwind than where you are standing) and then sometimes it might suddenly turn and start flying downwind at a great rate of speed....if you adjust the bridle a bit that can help to temper it......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
appleb

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01 AM »

Thanks for all those answers thief!

I had suspected the tension line for the bowing should've been on the back of the kite.  It didn't look correct being on the front.

Handling the diasy chaining was not so bad after watching some videos.  It doesn't look so pretty when I do it myself, but the line is not tangling and I guess that is all that matters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum