GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Connection ul ? what should I buy?  (Read 4622 times)
True Rookie
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 09, 2013, 03:22 PM »

Has anyone flown this kite and if so how was it?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:46 PM by True Rookie » Logged

The wind is blowing, hope I learn something today. If not it was still fun
rwbford
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10 AM »

I'm still a beginner myself, but i enjoy flying mine when my widow is taking a bit too much work to keep up in the air. Its seems pretty well built and comes in a nice case. I will say i only bought mine because i got a very good deal on it. Think i paid about $80 brand new on clearance, i don't think i would recommend paying full price for it though. Probably better UL's out there for that price range. But like i said, i do enjoy mine. It does real nice side slides, yoyos, and it loves to lay on its back all day. To keep it on the light side i don't bother with the included roll bars, and lowered the tall weight a bit.
True Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:53 PM »

Thank you for your response. I am such a newbie to doing tricks that I am not sure what roll bars are unless your talking about a jeep. This has been my second post since I have joined this forum and was beginning to think that no one was going to respond. I figured that it said this was the place for beginners to ask there questions. The funny thing is the only one to comment is another beginner. But that is alright with me I will take all the help I can get. So once again thank you.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:00 PM »

Most of the people who post on this Forum tend toward the higher price kites.

While the NT FC UL is well designed, New Tech has had some quality issues

in the past. This alone would keep many here away.

If you had asked a question regarding a high end kite (Blue Moon for example),

you would have had a reply within the hour.

Welcome to the Forum.

Whichever kite you decide on, it won't be your last kite purchase.  Smiley

And my thanks to rwbford for answering the call.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02 PM »

Make sure to measure your bridle for any french connection. They were known to slip or stretch.

Sine Metu!
True Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35 PM »

Thanks for the info guys. I tend to not like things I have to worry about like craftsmanship and measuring things that should have been done right the first time from the manufacturer. I am on a fixed budget do to the fact that I had to take a medical disability retirement. But if it would be better for me to save up some money for a better kite I have no problem doing so. The only problem is I don't know what would be a good kite for me to start out my soon to be collection I imagine. So I guess what I'm asking is what would be an awesome starter kite for me?  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for any input. Mike

True Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:45 PM »

I also forgot to add if I had to measure a bridle I would not know what the measurement was supposed to be. I want to learn all that stuff just not sure where to start. I would also like to learn how to fly a rev. I got interested in flying rev's from watching you tube videos. I also got interested in doing kite tricks the same way. I never knew a kite could do so much.

mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:46 PM »

Must have been some confusion with the French Connection kite and the French bridle a few posts back that's all that was I'm sure, I just so happen to have a French Connection kite laying around here somewhere for a few years now, brand new never flown RTF if interested let me know. It might be in the swap meet but it would be back several pages.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:21 PM »

I got a french connection on the intial signed release. The quality of the bridle was poor and it stretched. If you get one measure the bridle when you get it so you can put it back if it moves.

Sine Metu!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54 PM »

The second part of your question was, "what should I buy".

If I had a dime for every time I read that question.  Wink

You've mentioned limited funds. You also mentioned an UL kite. Why am UL? Many people think UL will just fly better for them when in reality, they just need to practice more in order to fly kites in lower winds. UL are going to be more expensive and usually have a smaller wind speed tolerance.

Where are you located? What type of wind are you usually flying in? What do you do most with the kite and what would you like to be able to do? That is, do you want to do all the tricks on the book, do you like precision flying, do you just want an all around kite, etc.?

I'd modify John C's post in that most people _post_ about expensive kites.... but a _lot_ of people fly inexpensive kites and love them. Right now my fav is the Silver Fox Pro. It's a petty good all around kite that does many tricks. Is it a Black Widow? No. But it's also around $100 used vs (I think) around $280 for a BW. Point being, you don't need to spend a lot to get a good flying kite and $100 kites fly perfectly well.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
True Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10 PM »

I thank everyone for there response in my search of a kite. I live in Wichita Kansas and I am looking for other kite flyers and or groups in hopes to get a little hands on advice. I am sure this will not be my last posting. I just hope everyone does not get upset at me for what I'm sure will be a stupid question to some. But when I supervised people I told them there was no stupid question except for the one you did not ask. Oh also is this the right page to ask my sometimes silly questions on.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:43 PM »

I don't know if I would classify the Silver Fox Pro as an "inexpensive" kite.

It's close to $200 and a newbie will have to buy a lineset too.

So you're clocking in around $250 for a new Silver Fox Pro.

I'm assuming the Black Widow tcope referred to is the Widow Maker, truly

an exceptional all around kite for about $50 more than the Silver Fox Pro.

Check the Swap Meet True Rookie, perhaps you'll find the kite of your dreams

at a great price. Many have. Good luck. We are all looking for that perfect kite.  Smiley

Silver Fox Pro

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
True Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13 AM »

Thanks, I will keep checking the swap meet page. Hopefully something will come up and I can get it. Not sure how the swap meet payment and shipping of the kite goes. guess I will figure that out when the time comes.  Grin

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54 AM »

The first dual line sport kites that I had were New Tech. Only because the local kite store was a New Tech distributer, and they were the best they had. I didn't know Boo about dual line kites then, I had a few that I bought from eBay that were old-school, but the New Jam & Big Bang seemed high tech & cutting edge at the time. I broke both of them plenty, but learned a lot about flying & repairing. I think they were both ~$125-$150 at the time, and it seemed like a lot to spend for kites.
Whatever you buy, get some spare parts because you will break it. Even the $500 kites break, and there's nothing worse than having nothing to fly but a broken kite. They're easy to fix, but it's real hard to wait for the parts.
Good luck !

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 06:57 AM »

I don't know if I would classify the Silver Fox Pro as an "inexpensive" kite.

It's close to $200 and a newbie will have to buy a lineset too.

So you're clocking in around $250 for a new Silver Fox Pro.

I'm assuming the Black Widow tcope referred to is the Widow Maker, truly

an exceptional all around kite for about $50 more than the Silver Fox Pro.

I did not realize a new SF Pro was that expensive. I bought mine used. I checked and it looks like the Pro version is about $50 more then the standard, with the Pro being about $190. The Widow Maker seems to be selling for $300. In either case both kites would need lines so that amount is moot.

IMHO (and it certainly varies), I'd say an "inexpensive" kite would be right around $120 or slightly under that. I think that opens the window enough to include some very capable kites of good quality. As mentioned, an even better deal can be had on a used kite.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum