GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Connection ul ? what should I buy?  (Read 4307 times)
doddg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:26 AM »

It is well documented that some here have gone out of their way to steer fliers away from my designs. Most of the time they never even flew one of them...They dont want you to know that I am a former us masters champion, and award winning designer from the Kite Trade and have been earning a living in kiting since 1990, despite their efforts over the years. I would be happy to send you a brand new FC UL (new old stock of course, it is 6 years old) so you can evalutate it on your own   and  if you like it, you can send me money for it, and if you dont like it, send it back.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 11:48 AM »

A reply to kind of an old post (but not really old). I don't know that anyone said that the FC was no a good design. I think it was mentioned that it _is_ a good design... just that New Tech had some quality control issues in the past.

I don't know of anyone who could honestly say that 1) Dodd does not design good kites and 2) that Dodd is not a father of the kiting industry.

Dodd... I can remember back in the rec.kite days what you went through. Everyone just seemed like that wanted to look cool in not liking you. When some people work their way up, they become targets. It's just the way things are. I also remember walking with you on the beach (either in St Augustine or Tybee) and asking about how you felt about other people making copies of your kites. You said that you'd rather not see them make a copy and if they were going to make a kite like your, why not try to make it a little different. I did not forget that as I thought it was the perfect attitude.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

What a great off from Dodd, offering to allow someone to test drive a kite and return it if they don't like it. Why else does this?

There is also a Silver Fox Pro for sale with straps for $140 in the swap meet. Smiley

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
SparkieRob

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:35 AM »

That is a great offer! Wow Dodd!

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
doddg

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27 AM »

Did you know that the FCUL was produced in the same factory as others who have not has this stigma of bad build quality attached? Same factory, same workers same materials.  I am looking at one right now, and the build quatily is really good.
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 11:39 AM »

Bravo Dodd!
I have often wondered where all the animosity towards you came from. Maybe one day I will get to a festival and get the chance to chat with ya.

Dodd, if you could, PM the cost for one of the FCUL's you have left. I may need one.  Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 11:42 AM »

I am a fan of the Skydog sport kites Dodd has designed and

have written reviews stating that I liked the design and quality

of the larger, high-end Skydog kites.

The Dream On sells for about $130 and is a very good sport kite.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 11:51 AM »

My favorite Dodd kite ?   FIRESTORM !

Never going to let this one go....
Those are 100' lines, BTW.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:45 PM by RobB » Logged

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06 PM »

If my "old memory" serves me correct: Dodd held a sail design contest for the French Connection in the old forum. This was a good way to promote and it also prevented a few that would have undoubtly accused him of coping someone else's sail design. I think the winner received a free French Connection. If this is all incorrect, please tell me I'm just a drunkin old sailor.   Wink

Norm, you are correct.
Quality control on the kite from new tech was less then stellar

Sine Metu!
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 03:14 PM »

I find it interesting that QC from New Tech was so bad on this kite . It was not produced at the New Tech main factory but rather where all Flying Wings are made and many Prism kites at the time along with all current Sky Dog kites and many HQ and some Gomberg as well.

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Rob,

It is not the factory that is the differentiator here. It is time.

The French Connections people write of here were made several years ago.

The quality on most "factory" kites years ago was not nearly as good as it is now.

Kites made in the last couple of years have shown a marked improvement

in build from those made more than say 5 years ago.

At least, that is my observation.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50 AM »

John I would say that time could be a factor in that familiarity is better now . Few kites at the time attempted to offer all the FC did in bells whistles. Most that did were crafted by solo operations of craftsmen. Most calls were to explain roll up bars. I told them they were for slack line pitch based tricks.Then following the silence I told them if they didn't know just leave them off and fly the kite then look to the internet for lessons.
I have recently sent a bunch to Dodd he was going to go through them I haven't heard back if he found any issues. Anyone looking for one can get a personally checked Kite from Dodd and he would never let one pass through his hands that wasn't properly set up.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
doddg

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 10:43 AM »

Thanks Rob, like i said they look good. The upper spreader is too long by 1.5inches  and I will cut that down, but other than that, they look good and fly really good. I have pics and video on my facebook page, Dodd Designs (kites). . I only have a few, $165 they are ULS only and are Yellow....plus $20 Shipping and handling in US for private sale, signed..

as far as the past history here, I am trying to be forgiving, and forget the past  but I can tell you I am prepared to aggressively protect my brand. Internet laws have changed...

The good thing that came out of all of this is iFLY2 (line kites) on Facebook. I wanted to have a place where dual line kite fliers from around the world could come and feel safe, no matter what kites they design, or fly, or skill level they have and so far, its been a great group and we are growing. No one brand is dominating there, not even mine! lol Soon I will be able to take this concept of sharing in a positive manner, as i have always done,  out with my flight schools to the real world and to international kite festivals...

To those of you know whats up, and have supported my efforts over the years, and have written so many encouraging emails, and phone calls, you know who you are,  i just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart because if it wasnt for you, I would have gotten out  of kiting a long long time ago. THANKYOU!

alien

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 05:13 AM »

doddg,
thank you for your efforts to push into the future,hot kites,videos.
I stumbled on a recent post by Chilese reviewing your now famous Dream On (i was sold).ive had it four or so weeks now and love it so much,smooth,tricky and good looking,cannot wait for my 30mtr rainbow tail for my cruising skywriting sessions............... Tongue
Its number three in my top ten kite bag on looks alone,might get its little brother before the world goes broke!
Keep them coming.
                                                 Kiss
Great Facebook by the way.............. Cool
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 12:35 AM »

It is well documented that some here have gone out of their way to steer fliers away from my designs. Most of the time they never even flew one of them...They dont want you to know that I am a former us masters champion, and award winning designer from the Kite Trade and have been earning a living in kiting since 1990, despite their efforts over the years. I would be happy to send you a brand new FC UL (new old stock of course, it is 6 years old) so you can evalutate it on your own   and  if you like it, you can send me money for it, and if you dont like it, send it back.
I know this is a bit of an old post but I have to add my own observations here.  All the Dodd designs i've had from Eolo, HQ and the few Skydog ones I have flown others have have been good.  The ONLY bad ones I have had came from NTK and this include Diodes, FC's and a host of the smaller beginner kites.  I liked the Diode and FC's don't get me wrong but NTK's choice of materials for a while there was less than stellar.  One of my Diodes had 2300 fg frame when it was supposed to be solid carbon 4-5mm and the sail stretched so out of shape on 2 of the diodes I was trying to stack that they wouldn't fly anymore.

Every Dodd design I  have flown has been a top notch design for what the design was aimed at.  We shouldn't fault the designers for choices made by the manufacturers that the designer has no control over.  My only real disappointment in the Dodd model history was the BLK which turned out to be not very loud lol.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change