GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to kiting  (Read 1134 times)
Cruzin1a
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2013, 08:34 AM »

Hi all,

My family and I are new to kiting. We recently purchased a G-Kite 7' Shadow Delta. The young man at the store recommended it as a good starter. We've flown it twice now and it's a pretty straight forward kite to fly as expected. I've gone ahead and done some reading. My first task has been to setup an anchor system. I tested that on the second flight and it worked great.

My first question is concerning laundry. I'd love to get one of the cylinder ones. I think they look pretty cool. After some reading I see I will need the proper lift for the laundry I attach and also be anchored properly. Any tips and advise would be greatly appreciated.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44 AM »

If you havent found it already I would start here:
http://gombergkites.com/faq.html
Gomberg is the king of big kites

Sine Metu!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14 AM »

I'm not sure what your question is... could you explain a little more?

Are you wanting to lift line laundry with the delta that you have and are wondering if it's enough? Are you wondering what a good anchor system is (you don't mention what you are using)? Are you wondering about another good lifter kite?

My personal fav lifter is the HQ 36 Power Sled ($110). The Gomberg Super Sled is also a good lifter ($85). I lean more toward the Power Sled for a few reasons: It comes with it's own drogue that functions as it's bag (I love simplicity). It's also built _tough_! The leading edges are reinforced to keep the cells open and it's got good reinforcements all the way around. It will fly in 4mph and I've had it in 30mph winds. In 7mph it has a ton of pull.

For anchors I usually use dog stakes in grass fields. You can also daisy chain together two of them. The second one behind of 1st and it serves to stop the 1st from bending over and wiggling out of the ground. Two dog stakes can be twirled together for storage. You can also step up to tent spikes (found at home improvement stores). Drive these into the ground in an "X" and either wrap the kite line or a strap around them. This is shown on Gomberg's site.

WARNING: If you buy another kite and some line laundry there is a _good_ chance you will become addicted to flying kites. You will find yourself needing that one more kite or one more kite item. It will take you a few years and a look around your house to finally realized your crazed state when you see piles and piles of kites.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Cruzin1a

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:32 PM »

I was wondering if The current kite I have could lift some line laundry. It doesn't seem to have a ton of pull. I can easily manage it without it being anchored. That's been in 5 to 10 mph winds. If it can I was looking for recommendations for what type of laundry would be easy to manage for a beginner. Something simple so I can get used to working with the rigging without endangering anyone or myself.

I am interested in anchoring and I've been reading about how to do this the right way. Currently I have assembled a dog stake, a six foot piece of webbing looped on both ends(it was a ratchet strap), and a carabiner. I set this up the other night just to practice. It worked ok and held the kite. I do understand that I will need to read more and take the anchoring far more seriously if I step up to another kite with greater pull and lift. I see for more advanced kites a figure eight is used for better control. I've also been reading about when to use swivels and what knots to use.

The HQ power sled 36 sounds like a good kite as you mentioned, with a lot of pull that could handle larger more advanced laundry. I did a quick search but didn't see a direct link to it. Is that a premier kite? That's my current goal. I am just looking for input and guidance so I can approach this with safety and success. It's been a lot of fun :0) I have also been looking for some kite flying events. It would be great to see some of these in person and watch how it's done.

Thank you both very much for the advice!
Cruzin1a

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »

I found the HQ kite you referenced.

Direct link to kite store removed. Il Duce.
Cruzin1a, one of the few rules we have here is No Direct Links
to other kite stores. No biggie.  Smiley

Back to reading and watching  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:48 PM by chilese » Logged
Cruzin1a

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:37 AM »

My bad, I did see that mentioned either during the signup process or in a post. Thank you for the friendly reminder Smiley
Cruzin1a

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40 AM »

So concerning laundry. Do you guys think my 7' Delta could manage a 6' HQ turbine connected as line laundry?
madhabitz

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18 PM »

That little kite probably *could* do it with some big wind , but if it were me I would probably just stick to regular flat tails for that kite.  Gomberg makes some  streamer flags that would be really pretty on it, too. If the big line laundry is something you are heading toward,  there are a lot of kites that are better suited for the job.  Delta kites often make great lifters,  but yours is a bit delicate for this job.  Mind you,  delicate has its place and is really fun.  A great kite for what you want to do is a Delta Conyne (DC for short). You are going to want to pay attention to the asthetics - laundry as big as your kite often doesn't look so hot. It just looks overwhelmed.  Also,  be sure to check out Into The Wind for a really nice selection of kites that will do the job.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 04:54 PM »

There's a guy about 40 miles from me with a mega sled 81 that has also all the Gomberg laundry on his line, it's set up about every 5 feet with something different. I'm going to have to get a picture of it, sure is wild looking. He uses a light post in the park to anchor it. I know right below the sled is 100' 75' 50' 25' matching tube tails, then ball type things from long to short. I'll try for pictures next time I'm out that way. Makes me want to get a sled.
Cruzin1a

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Thank you very much. The tips and advice have been great. With our current Delta I'll stick with some flat tails or streamer flags as mentioned and continue to read so hopefully my next kite will be a good fit for what we'd like to do. We will be sure to pay attention to the aesthetics of the setup we're looking to build. Thanks again!

Also I'd love to see some pictures of that mega sled!
madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 11:38 PM »

Thank you very much. The tips and advice have been great. With our current Delta I'll stick with some flat tails or streamer flags as mentioned and continue to read so hopefully my next kite will be a good fit for what we'd like to do. We will be sure to pay attention to the aesthetics of the setup we're looking to build. Thanks again!

Also I'd love to see some pictures of that mega sled!
Heh... wish I'd caught my spelling blooper before now. The aesthetics don't seem like that big a deal at first but they will down the road.

I wrote that bit above when I was in a hurry- I hope I didn't leave the impression that ITW was the only place to buy. I do love them, but Gomberg's stuff is pretty great too. Wind of Change has some nice offerings as well. If there is something you want but don't see it on the WoC website, a phonecall is usually worthwhile.

Have fun! Wink

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
red sweater

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:48 AM »

There's a guy about 40 miles from me with a mega sled 81 that has also all the Gomberg laundry on his line

And you can see it from that far away? Impressive! Shocked

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51 AM »

There's a guy about 40 miles from me with a mega sled 81 that has also all the Gomberg laundry on his line

And you can see it from that far away? Impressive! Shocked
Oh no, I would just have to travel that far and hope to see it again to take a picture of it. Actually I can see buildings farther than where he flies but those are a lot bigger.
red sweater

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 10:48 AM »

Stupid internet not conveying tone.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document