GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 10:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortest Lineset for SUL Outdoor Flying  (Read 732 times)
rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: June 11, 2013, 08:50 PM »

I am looking for a set of lineset for flying my Fearless SUL.  The shorter the better.  What is the shortest one I can go for that I can still do fly around and do some basic tricks?

rudy
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10 PM »

30 feet minimum for tricks with flying.

I use 50 as a minimum.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Why short?? Are you limited with space?  If not, I think a 50 lb... 75 -85 ft line set would be fine.
CV

rudyy

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50 AM »

I only have 50 by 80 ft area to fly .
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22 AM »

50s are the shortest I fly with a full sized kite. I flew my 4D on 30' lines, but they were right for the scale of the mini-kite. I don't like the Fearless on lines longer than 75', though.

Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44 AM »

I've flown the Skydog Black Dog UL on 30' lines outdoors.  I use 20 foot lines for my Focus (and Into The Wind) Echo outdoors, but that's a smaller kite.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58 AM »

I frequently fly with a set that's probably 30-35' when the field is crowded with sunbathers and others.  My fearless SUL works great on that length. 

Of course, with such short lines you are doing lots of tricking and very little flying.  Smiley

Due to space, I also fly my standard on short lines when I have to, although I do overall much prefer 75 or 100 feet. 

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05 AM »

I usually fly the Fearless SUL in very low wind on 65' with 4' leaders so about 70' total. We were flying it on 100 x 50lb Saturday and it was great. But when there is almost no wind I have 35' x 50lb and 50' x 50lb I use. I have flown it many times on the 35' and it works fine. The kite will work. It's more of a personal preference whether you like line that short.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57 AM »

In Asbury Park, NJ one of the more popular beaches I try to fly at North Beach (more space) so there I go 60 feet. Sometimes around 10:30 AM after two hours people come closer - 50 foot. Sometimes when I fly at the main part of the beach (First Ave.) near my beach house around 4PM as people leave and I need another FIX - I use 50 feet but will go to 40 feet. Shorter - means quicker tricks and faster response time with less track flying. As you go longer its less effort on you and the brain. The Transformer SUL is fast to begin with and its your preference - the better pilot you are the shorter the lines you can go - no one is scoring me anymore that a flic flac is three consecutive succesful attempts - as the wind is picking up  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy. As long as you can do a backspin cascade on the Tattoo three feet of the ground what's the big deal ... with anything else ... personally speaking ... anything more than 75 feet is OFFENSIVE ... now-a-days ...  Shocked Shocked Shocked 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:01 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
rudyy

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 11:57 AM »

Thanks, I will try the 50#/35ft line.  I have never flown such the short line.  I think the shortest I have ever flown is 60ft.  I use 110ft most of the time and occassionally 120ft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document