GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 08:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana Roll Call  (Read 4597 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05 PM »

One owned, and still have it: Nirvana HW

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18 PM »

One second hand collector nirvana still in the bag. Previous owner who tuned and rebridled it was RandyG.

F¡deli°
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Owned 2, sold the HW, still have the standard... (Royal Blue)

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 10:32 PM »

I've had an NSE, sold it two years ago.
But I did like it.

Krijn
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:44 PM »

I've only owned one... one of the First Fifty™ that came in a plastic tube, with a mini CD of videos and tungsten carbide weights. I respected what it did much more than I liked it and moved it along. I've flown OPKs many times since, including Collectors and Debray Replicas, and have always had about the same sort of feeling. A great kite but somehow not one destined for my kitebag in any of the multitudinous varieties that exist.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
madhabitz

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 11:25 PM »

I still have this one, although it is an NFX:

So how do you like your NFX?

Love it!  It's one of the few non-Lam kites that I've kept.

It's my favorite r-sky.

Tom

I own up up to a NFX and like Tom think it is a cracking kite.

Good to hear!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 01:36 AM »

I've got Juha's old Nirvana:

Juha flying, photo by Simo Sivonen. Stunning photo  Cool

Bob D

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 03:42 AM »

I have the HW, Std, UL, SUL and a NFX. The HW is in my avatar and the others follow the same color scheme. I think I like the UL the best because it will fly lower and still trick like the standard.

Bob D.
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 04:29 AM »

I I have the NSE Standard, WW and vent (HW). They are my main go to kites ( except for my Toxic and recent Krustal of course! :-)

Steve
Ben

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58 AM »

Two - 1 Std. + 1 UL
Still have them both.
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 07:45 AM »

One, std purple skyshark, from the swap meet. Rebridled, slightly shortened US, lighter LEs. (All done by the previous owner.) No pics to share at the moment. I should rectify that.

I really like it. My favorite kite, but then again, I have a shallow bag with no boutique models.

I have a question that's R-Sky/Nirvana related. What are the NFX and KFX kites supposed to be? Just smaller scale versions of the kites? I have a little trouble understanding that product line.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:01 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:02 AM »

I have a question that's R-Sky/Nirvana related. What are the NFX and KFX kites supposed to be? Just smaller scale versions of the kites? I have a little trouble understanding that product line.

Smaller versions but in reality they are different kites altogether. I can't speak for the KFX, never flown it, but I had a version of the NFX and it rocks. You can bang the tricks out of it as fast as possible and it likes it.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21 AM »

What are the NFX and KFX kites supposed to be? Just smaller scale versions of the kites?
The KFX, or Krystal FX, is nothing to do with the Nirvana line.

You have the Nirvana which has evolved in terms of framing and build details throughout its life. Special editions were the monochrome Collectors Edition with Icone frame and the Debray Replica, partly in Aerostuff.
The NSE or Nirvana Second Edition is a more complete evolution of the full-scale Nirvana.

You then have the downsized NFX (Nirvana FX) but also the NFX Extend, which is a bit bigger but not full-sized.
And let's not forget the NFX Manga.

I'm undoubtedly missing some  Smiley

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:24 AM by zippy8 » Logged

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
madhabitz

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39 AM »

NFX Sport. But I don't understand them either.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06 AM »

What are the NFX and KFX kites supposed to be? Just smaller scale versions of the kites?
The KFX, or Krystal FX, is nothing to do with the Nirvana line.

Yes, already understood. Maybe I didn't express it clearly enough, but I thought the plural on kites implied it.

I don't really have a problem understanding which of their kites are variants of originals, and I can look at the dimensions on the R Sky site. I meant (but apparently wasn't clear) "What niche do they fill? What differences do they exhibit from each other?" That level of understanding of their line evades me.

Smaller versions but in reality they are different kites altogether. I can't speak for the KFX, never flown it, but I had a version of the NFX and it rocks. You can bang the tricks out of it as fast as possible and it likes it.

This is more helpful. We had that thread a while back about size and/or aspect ratio, and the generalized flight characteristics. So, the FX models are just supposed to be zippier versions?

They say "[T]he Nirvana FX is the default freestyle kite for a new generation of pilots." So, they lay that claim at a scaled down variant of their polyvalent flagship, rather than the Toxic, which I think is targeted at freestyle. That raises my eyebrows. (At least they're not claiming every one of their kites as the "default choice for a new generation." At least they're being clear at what they promote as their elite models.)

My understanding of R Sky kites is:
"Polyvalent" (which term I had never heard of until I learned of the Nirvana): Nirvana, and her kin: NSE, NFX (plus Extend), Fifteen
Precision Emphasis: Krystal, KFX (not really certain on this one, as "precision" appears not to be used on their English pages for these kites -- they still do most tricks, right?)
Freestyle Emphasis: Toxic
And a few entry-level, inexpensive kites that we're probably all beyond.

Or am I wrong on some of these? Do all the FX versions lose precision, and become more freestyle just by nature of their size?

It's probably the broadest sport kite product line I've seen. That could be good or bad. There's something to be said for having a lot of options, but the number of options leaves me a little confused, especially with the mild language barrier. (Their English is not bad, but it is unnatural.)

Anyway, feel free to re-rail this thread.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:08 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum