GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL catalog from mid to late 1990's -- models of kites  (Read 1340 times)
ORkite
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 13, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Do you know if TOTL (Top Of The Line, mfr in the USA) put out a catalog of their kite models, back in the mid to late 1990's?

Would be interested in re-determining which models of kites I have from them.  Silly me, I didn't write down any of the names on the bags, and what paperwork I had received at the time is long gone.  I realize it's a stretch, but if you happen to have one lying around ...

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:11 PM »

You may be able to find your answer in the BFK catalogues here but if not then simply post pictures and the brain trust will let you know what you've got.

And if you happen to have a Maestro or a Devil Dog then so much the better  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
ORkite

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:12 PM »

You may be able to find your answer in the BFK catalogues here but if not then simply post pictures and the brain trust will let you know what you've got.

And if you happen to have a Maestro or a Devil Dog then so much the better  Wink

Mike.

Ooooh, that's a nice little link, there.  Some good info.  My purchase was from Into The Wind, mid 1990's IIRC.  That catalog cover from the '96 catalog looks familiar, but I can't recall exactly.  Quickly skimming through it, I didn't see my model there (unless I missed it, or unless the color pattern in the TOTL catalog for '96 differs from the model I ordered).

Camera's on the fritz right now, or I'd certainly post the models/measurements. 

Basic description of the one I'm refurbishing right now:

• Mfr:  TOTL (Top Of The Line).
  • Model:  unk.
  • Style:  Delta format, dual-line.
  • Performance:  relatively sedate, for a "sport" kite; moderate fwd speeds; slower turn rates; medium-to-heavy pull; relatively noisy in heavier winds, otherwise moderately quite.
  • Size:  45" H (at the spine), and just over 9' W.
  • Frame:  Sky Shark 3P competition spars.
  • Upper spreader:  spar from leading-edge to leading-edge; with molded plastic angled "Y" connectors at the leading-edge spar (that have since disintegrated, needing replacement).
  • Lower spreader:  standard, from leading edge to edge, via the cross-connector on the center spine spar.  The leading-edge connectors have since disintegrated completely, needing replacement. 
  • Standoffs:  one each side, along lower trailing edge.  Appears to be made of white fiberglass (thin), with vinyl stoppers on either side of where it hold onto the sail fabric.  Need to replace a couple of the vinyl stoppers, on these standoffs, likely also the connectors that attached the standoffs to the lower spreaders.
  • Bridle:  simple bridle assembly (L & R), nothing special; with single attachment points for each line (dual lines).
  • Color:  black upper third / middle "diamond" ; red middle third, to edges; black trailing "edges" (lower ~10" or so).
  • Labeling/printing:  has "Top Of The Line" on the flier-facing fabric along the left leading edge; has "Sport Kite" on the sky-facing fabric along the same edge.
  • Purchased:  through Into The Wind from their catalog, circa ~1997 or so.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:37 PM by ORkite » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:53 PM »

There are some TOTL kite manuals in here: https://drive.google.com/?tab=Xo&authuser=0#folders/0Bz8LtJ0px1M9OTcwNTlkNjQtNDYyYy00OGU5LTljMGYtMDdjZDQxYmE0ZjRh

Also, if you search the forum you will find that some forum members scanned in old ITW catalogs......maybe the catalog you bought it out of!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:37 PM »

• Color:  black upper third / middle "diamond" ; red middle third, to edges; black trailing "edges" (lower ~10" or so).

I'm having a little trouble visualising this  Sad but the main choices that a kite this size and vintage from TotL could be are:-
Sizzle
Spin Off
Hawaiian
North Shore Radical

They made reduced sail panel versions of some of these kites so it could be one of those.

Mike.

ORkite

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:21 AM »

Sizzle

The shape of mine looks almost identical to the Sizzle that you show (above), though the colored panels are different.
zippy8

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:32 PM »

The shape of mine looks almost identical to the Sizzle that you show (above), though the colored panels are different.
So what you have is a Sizzle Ultralight. The Sizzle is something of a red headed step child in Top of the Line's range of full sized kites, not coming close to the iconic status of the Hawaiian, Spin Off or North Shore Radical.

The original spars are long out of production and will be a bugger to replace if you want to keep it original but a modern alternative would be SkyShark P90. SkyShark's 3PTs are tapered spars and quite different to the 3P. Replacing the fittings with suitable APA connectors should be a priority if you want the kite to fly properly.

So get the kite fixed, get the camera fixed and show us all this oldie  Smiley

Mike.

ORkite

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 04:05 PM »

So what you have is a Sizzle Ultralight. The Sizzle is something of a red headed step child in Top of the Line's range of full sized kites ...

Yeah, doesn't surprise me.  It's just gotta be the Sizzle, likely the variant you're describing.  Haven't seen the exact panel color combinations anywhere else, but the 1996 catalog's entry (and cover) looks familiar.  So, there's that mystery solved.

The original spars are long out of production and will be a bugger to replace if you want to keep it original but a modern alternative would be SkyShark P90. SkyShark's 3PTs are tapered spars and quite different to the 3P. Replacing the fittings with suitable APA connectors should be a priority if you want the kite to fly properly.

The spars all look in excellent, undamaged shape.  I treated the kite well.  Other than the fact that the old plastic connectors  have all fallen apart with ~16yrs of age, everything's intact and ready to fly.   Am not particularly dead-set on keeping it completely original, but then the spars are all intact and in excellent shape, so I'd think I won't need to consider swapping to some other frame spars for some time.

Thank you!   Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document