GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prototype Video: Kite scooter could outpace raceboards  (Read 635 times)
kibokit
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 14, 2013, 12:46 AM »

Race course kite boards can reach tremendous speeds easily exceeding 20knts in very light winds from 6knts onwards, if operated by skilled riders.
While this sounds like an excellent alternative to "classical" kite boarding, when the wind is just to light, hardly anyone seems to do it.
Main reason for this, I suppose, is a steep learning curve and it being physically and mentally exhausting, at least for beginners.
In the following video I am presenting a prototype of a kite scooter with a heel free rigging system, which could be operated almost instantly and effortlessly by any kiter.
I am convinced that, once properly designed by more qualified people than I am, it will performance-wise at least be on a par, if not even ahead of raceboards (due to a more effective fin/foil and the ability to use a bigger kite enabled by the heel free design).

Kite scooter -- a fast and versatile novel small kite sailing boat

Any feedback, praise, concerns, suggestions, questions, etc. welcome

Ingo

[attachment deleted by admin]
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12 AM »

Interesting!

How does the leeway angle compare with standard raceboards? I imagine it must be a good bit better. Did you find any need for an adjustable control foil?

The changing immersion of the foil must do some interesting things to the lift/drag characteristics. Have you looked at ways to optimize the foil and other elements of the design for more consistent immersion?
alien

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:27 AM »

Off to China now kibokit,
your millions await!       Cool
kibokit

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09 AM »

Interesting!

How does the leeway angle compare with standard raceboards? I imagine it must be a good bit better. Did you find any need for an adjustable control foil?

The changing immersion of the foil must do some interesting things to the lift/drag characteristics. Have you looked at ways to optimize the foil and other elements of the design for more consistent immersion?

I suppose, that the efficiency of my foils could slightly be ahead (but certainly not yet) of those of kite boards (being an asymmetric hydrofoil rather than symmetric and only one high AR foil rather than three smaller ones, as current standard in raceboards), and with it probably the leeway angle.
I have experienced stall (from about 12knts onwards), probably induced by the changing immersion of the foils, which I could feel in advance and probably could easily have been avoided by a rudder.
I wouldn't want to complicate things, however, by implementing a rudder(as the thing self steers very well) and think, that the problem could also be resolved by using tapered and/or possibly twisted foils(but to engineer those is beyond my skill level).
Even without a rudder, I can change the angle of attack of the foils by two different ways: 1. changing the angle of the lever arm (which I do to shift the helm) 2.changing the angle of the foil itself (which in fact makes it a front rudder),
both can be done while riding, but none of it fast enough thus far(needed more engineering) to react to waves and to prevent stall.

Ingo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum