GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speedfoil stunts  (Read 668 times)
sethvincent
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 15, 2013, 12:44 PM »

In regards to the snapshot 1.4, Prism says "We donít know of another foil that can hold its own against a framed stunt kite for precision and cornering"
 So, is it only capable of precision steering or are other tricks possible with a foil? I'm imagining most tricks would cause the foil to deflate.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:10 PM »

If you want tricks in a foil, you might want to consider the

Smithi from Into The Wind (ad on right ----->>)

Here is a video of the slightly smaller Smithi Pro:

Spiderkites Smithi Pro

Both models are designed by Christoph Fokken.

The larger Smithi has a very cool spider logo and is done in

orange and black. It does have more pull than the Smithi Pro.

Both will fly very much like a Rev (not as good as).

They can fly backwards, spin like a propeller, etc.

They are NOT as tricky as a sport kite.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:13 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sethvincent

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21 PM »

wow, awesome video, I didn't think a foil could do that.
 and that black and orange one in the picture.....  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh  that is hot
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:26 PM »

Comes with lines, handles, winder for about $220.

Been tempted myself.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
sethvincent

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:29 PM »

I wonder if a prism snapshot 2.5 could perform similarly when set up for quad lines
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:39 PM »

I wonder if a prism snapshot 2.5 could perform similarly when set up for quad lines

From Spiderkites site :-  "A sophisticated bridle system and one-way cell valves enable super tight turns without loss of altitude.  And, with a little practice, it can also fly sideways"

so probably not really possible to convert a standard foil.  I must say I'm impressed, I've been looking for something to fly between 14/15 mph when stunt kites are hard to trick and 25mph+ when the Delta Hawk is fun and this might fit the bill.  We have a local Spiderkites dealer just down the road and I'll be seeing him tomorrow at a local family fly in.....I may have to have a chat..... Undecided Undecided

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 01:44 PM »

The only trick I could figure out with a 2 line foil was what I call the 'ground bouncer'. On the edge of the window, you can land the foil on a wing tip, it collapses half way, and then you pop it back up in the air. Done quickly, it looks like a spring. Kinda cool...   Roll Eyes

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Some foils can be axeled in low winds.
sethvincent

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Hadge,
 That's kind of what I was expecting

Rob, that is something I would love to see

sethvincent

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:03 PM »

The more I look into this, even IF it would work, I don't know if it would be a good idea.
 They are both about the same size.  The spider is more expensive, but it comes already set up as a quad line where the snapshot only comes with a 2 line set with wrist straps.  Unless you're making your own brake lines and handles, by the time you set it up for quad line, you'd probably be at the same price as the spider.
 And, as much as I love my pretty blue snapshot 1.4, the big yellow rectangle that makes up the 2.5 is rather boring to say the least.  That black and orange smithi is too cool.
  Now I just need to find someone who has one that can attest to quality
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:07 PM by sethvincent » Logged
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:05 PM »

You do not need to worry about the quality of a Spiderkites. Christoph knows his stuff inside and out, while blindfolded.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52 PM »

In regards to the snapshot 1.4, Prism says "We donít know of another foil that can hold its own against a framed stunt kite for precision and cornering"
Their lack of knowledge is..... dispiriting. Embarrassed

When stunt kite competitions were....
  • new
  • a thing
...Flexifoils were right at the top for Precision events. As the 6' Stacker was a little too small and the 10' Super 10 was a little too big, the 8' Proteam was born and these things could bang out some damn good figures.

But that's about it. You can do some kinda-sorta Axel-ish wobbles with a Flexi but it's best trick is that you can, without lines, throw it at the ground and have it loop back to you.

Of course, none of this helps with a sparless 'foil  Shocked

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography