GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for my second kite  (Read 886 times)
mtk beach flyer
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 16, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have had a prism kite for a few years now.  I had not flown it too much in the past year or so but decided I was going to start flying much more this year.  I am thinking about buying my second kite and wanted to see what everyone thought.  Right now I have been looking at the widow maker standard.  From everything I have read a widow maker is going to be much more trickable then my e2 and will be a little easier to fly in lower winds.  Now I have never owned anything other then my e2 and like the quality so I was also wondering what everyone thought about a quamtum pro and how it stacked up to the widow maker.  Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's
Richie
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:35 PM »

As you already have a decent standard sport kite in the E2,

you might want to consider getting a good UL for lower wind days.

The E2 is a competent sport kite.

If you want a 2nd standard, there are many excellent kites available.

The Widow Maker and Quantum Pro that you mentioned are very good.

I own 2 QPs and a WM UL.

The best thing you can do is find fliers who are local to you and fly as many

of their kites as possible before buying one.

Good luck.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Hey Richie,
The E2 isn't a bad kite at all, but if you're looking for a second standard I think a WM is a great choice. The new Widow NG from premier is also great and much less expensive, and you should use the extra money that you'd put towards the WM to a UL kite, like a WM UL for example. The WM line is very accessible, and very forgiving. All of Jons kites are extremely well made and hold up for years and years. Another good idea that you might want to look into would be the Ocius line from Skyburner, or the Solus Comp line. The Ocius line is faster, smaller, etc. The Solus Comps are new and bigger, slower (finally), and now feel pretty similar to the WM line. Another good idea is to look into used kites too that pop up on the swap meet, look up videos and reviews of them online, and see if those interest you as well.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:45 AM »

Years ago when I was looking for a second kite I tried the QP and the Deep Space. I thought the QP was very  heavy on the lines. I haven't flown one since so I don't remember how strong the wind was at the time. My Deep Space is trickable but hard to keep in a turtle. The Widow Maker does everything well and has a nice wind range. I imagine the UL would be good for lower wind. You couldn't go wrong.

Bob D.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:07 AM »

there are a multitude of great public domain kite plans... Le Quartz, Vortex, Sixth Sense, Invictus, to name a few.  You may try building a kite if it's up your alley at all.  I have a collection of both purchased and home built kites and I'd say I alternate pretty regularly to the ones I built myself.  Sixth Sense currently being my favorite. 
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:45 AM »

The WM is a great kite. I have both the standard and UL. But I'm with John in looking for a UL.

A standard and UL will allow you to fly in most winds. More flying time will make you a better flyer. Some tricks are easier to learn on either a UL or standard.

mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:49 PM »

Well, you already have a nice dual line kite, I go for a Revolution 1.5 RTF quad line kite. Much easier to fly than you might think.
mtk beach flyer

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look more into a UL.  I was under the impression that the e2 was outdated and much harder to learn on. Guess I will start researching UL's
mtk beach flyer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29 PM »

Also if anyone has a ul they were interested in selling please let me know.
Thank's
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49 PM »

I was under the impression that the e2 was outdated and much harder to learn on. Guess I will start researching UL's
The E2 was always intended as a kite for the advanced beginner - someone who is still learning to fly but who can miss the ground more often than not. It has limitations but that's sort of the idea. I had one for a while and found it pleasant enough, straightforward to fly up to a point. For instance I thought it was an absolute dog to Yoyo but others had less trouble. For the building block Axels, Flat Spins and whatnot.... good choice.

Quote from: mikeb
Well, you already have a nice dual line kite, I go for a Revolution 1.5 RTF quad line kite.
Hey..... do I come into the quadline section trying to turn you all away from The Dork Side ?  Angry

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:00 AM »

I was under the impression that the e2 was outdated and much harder to learn on. Guess I will start researching UL's

I learned the Cascade on my E2.

Try and pick up a used Sea Devil, standard or light. The Exile is another one to keep your eye out for.
CV

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

drmndrew82
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 04:29 PM »

You are right that the Widow Maker will fly in very low winds. I was really surprised by the wind range of that kite. The WM UL is a great kite too, but the kite is not as forgiving as the standard (this is true with most UL's because some things need to be sacrificed to get it to fly in almost no wind). The Skyburner kites are great quality. I wish I had bought my WM earlier, but it is really the only kite coming out of my bag now.

I had an E2 and didn't like it much when I first started flying. However, I did learn my first axel on this kite. It does some things very good. With you being a beginner you have a lot of room to grow with this kite. An UL is probably the best way to go.

Kite Bag: Skyburner: Widowmaker Std & UL/ I-Nak, HQ: Shadow, Flying Wings: Silver Fox 2.3 Std & UL , Blue Moon: Mongoose, ITW: Kymera, Rev: 1.5 SLE / 1.5 SLE Vented, Kite Related Design: Fury UL, Fury STD, Fury Vented
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document