GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picasa  (Read 2060 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: June 17, 2013, 07:55 AM »

Hi all. It seems google has messed with a good thing again. I cannot figure out how to post pics Too a website with or without a link. or for that matter a pic at all. Used to be everything needed was on the right side of the screen No longer, as far as I can tell.. I could use some help PLEASE
Guessing is not needed Ive tried that LOL

have fun kurt
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:15 AM »

I still use picasa and post up things all the time...
i right click on the picture and choose "copy image URL" then paste that into the IMG tags....
Should work just fine that way.

some more details in this sticky thread: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
\

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:19 AM »

"Link to this photo" is still on the right hand side. You either need to not have a Google Plus account or you need to click on the link that pops up to go to Picasaweb site. Otherwise, yes... Google has integrated Picasaweb direct with G+ and it's a mess.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:28 AM »

ko,

Are you using Google+?

If so, I would suggest ditching it.

I tried it for about 5 minutes.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17 AM »

you can always force the URL of your bookmarks et al to direct you to picasa and not to google+ https://picasaweb.google.com/home?showall=true
Google+ mobile stuff has actually been getting better lately.....desktop is still 'meh' in my opinion....

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:29 AM »

I use both although I really don't use Google Plus for anything.  I do find it annoying that I must manually indicate that I want to use the 'old' picasaweb even when directly accessing it.

For me, the main requirement is that I want to be able to send a link directly to an image which I can't seem to be able to do from Plus.

It's certainly odd that they chose to merge the 2 or even provide my images in Plus.  Both apps are for completely different uses - I imagine that they wanted to be able to provide instant-content with lots of images as part of Plus.  Aside from all that, Plus seems to remain pretty much a ghost-town.  At least for me, no-one else seems to be using it which makes it pointless as a face-book replacement.

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39 PM »

Hey TPatter...
that url i put up there should be a direct link to your albums...that helps quite a bit...

Google really wanted to force usage of G+....too bad it has scared some people away...

ko

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59 PM »

NO google plus. I have always had the link options on the right hand side but for some reason I cannot access them. No lock unlock just some freakin share button that does not do anything i want to do  It is also not my ad blocker
I will try again in a bit. If you do not see a pic posted......$%$%$

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04 PM »

Definatley messing with my head. Seems to be fine now. Thankyou all for the support

have fun kurt
tcope

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18 PM »

It's certainly odd that they chose to merge the 2 or even provide my images in Plus.  Both apps are for completely different uses - I imagine that they wanted to be able to provide instant-content with lots of images as part of Plus.  Aside from all that, Plus seems to remain pretty much a ghost-town.  At least for me, no-one else seems to be using it which makes it pointless as a face-book replacement.

Not odd at all. Google is putting 100% behind Google Plus.Social Networks:

Facebook = 51%
Google Plus = 26%
YouTube = 25%
Twitter = 22%

Facebook has been around a _lot_ longer then Google Plus but Google Plus is gain on it every day. Google  is using Google Plus to bring many of their services under one roof. I doubt Google created Picasa with any other thought that it would be integrated with Google Plus.

Personally I think G+ is _leaps and bounds_ beyond Facebook. Facebook is 99% people spamming people. This is how FB makes money. Google Plus is about _communication_ and _sharing_. Just as Google Search can make money without affecting a users experience, Google Plus does it the same way. Google Plus is so much more open then Facebook. I love getting content from anyone who posts in my area and reading public posts that are "hot" (or trending).

When people ask me what G+ is I must bite my tongue and tell them it's like FB. However, the two services are really nothing alike. But even saying they are the same type of service, FB is getting left in the dust. FB is a one trick pony. G+ incorporates many of it's services into G+. G+_ is mobile... FB is not (at all). Businesses also don't have a clue as many are not on G+ and even fewer understand how much they can benefit from G+. They don't understand that G+ influences their search results as well as Google ratings of their company.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 11:06 AM »

When people ask me what G+ is I must bite my tongue and tell them it's like FB.
My reluctance to actually use the Google+ services I signed up for so very long ago is about the all encompassing nature of the thing - I upload a picture and before I know it it's on Google Earth, within search results and blasted out to a whole bunch of people. Getting my head around all the settings and restrictions was too much. Those extra non-search services that I used to like about Google are now rolled into such a multi-headed beast and tweaked to make it do something I Don't Want. I still upload to Picasa but, as with others, I now have to RIGHT CLICK to extract a postable URL.

G+_ is mobile... FB is not (at all).
Facebook is very mobile. However, it ends up constantly beeping and chirping its way into your life so I removed it from my phone and tripled my battery life.

They don't understand that G+ influences their search results as well as Google ratings of their company.
And this is right back to Google+ simply being Too Damn Much to understand and control.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tcope

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 02:35 PM »

In order for a photos to activaly show up on Maps you would need to upload it there yourself. If you upload a photo that has a geo tag _and_ allow G+ to use it, it will display on a map within the album. But it won't automatically be send to Google Maps. You'd need to upload it to Maps.

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/70821?hl=en

I agree that viewing and notification permissions is really being pushed by Google. They are obviously even making it difficult not to post Picasa photos to G+. That is, Picasa is set up to automatically attempt to have you post the photos to G+. You need to "cancel" to avoid this. Well, cancelling makes it look like you are cancelling the upload/storage of the photo. It's also difficult to allow the photos to be shared on Picasa and not shared on G+.

I wish Google would have allowed them to be two different services but I have no doubt that Google rolled out Picasa to look like this but with every intention to merge it into G+ from the start.

Personally, I think G+ is _leaps and bounds_ ahead of FB. The only FB has going for it is that people refuse to jump ship and that they are also vested in other social media sites (Reddit, Twitter, FourSquare, etc.). For me, merging several of the Google services into G+ makes many things easier. Of course, you need to accept G+ completly which I understand some people don't want.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10 PM »

G+_ is mobile... FB is not (at all).
Facebook is very mobile. However, it ends up constantly beeping and chirping its way into your life so I removed it from my phone and tripled my battery life.

I refuse to use the Facebook app for android, as Mike points out above, it gets all over your phone. What I hated most was that it changed the pictures I had set up in my contacts to whatever they changed their profile pictures to once it figured out somehow that that contact was the same person I was friends with on Facebook.

Google+ was adding random contacts to my phonebook, people I accepted into my circles, I might like to see what they have to share in G+ but it's pretty doubtful I'd ever want to call them and I sure don't need them cluttering up my phonebook, I already have to scroll through a hundred or more names.

I get around all that when accessing my social sites (or any site for that matter) by using Dolphin Browser and set it to identify my phone as a desktop computer since I hate the mobile version of any web site.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document