GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: refurbish APA connectors and bridle.  (Read 1000 times)
ORkite
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 15, 2013, 04:02 PM »

Am a noob when it comes to taking apart a kite and refurbishing things.  But I've got a mid-1990's kite in need of new spreader connectors (4) for the upper and lower spreaders. 

Questions: 

1.  Does installation of new APA connectors (along the leading-edge spar) simply involve removal of the spar, slipping on the APA connectors at the right spot, and then reinstalling the spar?  (Would use Sewer's Aid lube, or similar, of course, to ease sliding on the connectors.)

Seems an awfully tight fit, in there.  Can't imagine how it would nicely slide through the leading-edge's fabric "channel" for the spar, if each spar had 2ea of the APA connectors attached while I was trying to stuff 'em in there.  Without undoing the stitching on the fabric along the whole leading-edge around the spars, then reinstalling the stitching afterwards.

2.  Would like to go through the bridle and consider upgrades/enhancements that folks think suitable, to keep things in great form.  When I acquired the kite, it was just the kite and some Spectra line, without any swivel/other connectors for attachment of the line to the bridle, or any other accoutrements.  Plain bridle, which works fine, but since I'm going through everything I would be willing to make minor updates that are smart to do at this point.  Suggestions, on what to consider related to the bridle or related attachments, to allow a better, or more-exacting adjustment and attachment?

3.  Any suggestions on a book or guide to repair/refurb of kites, something that can take a complete noob through all of the components of a kite for purpose of refurbishing?  Would be interested in knowing how to swap frames, replace connectors, deal with the bridle, attach lines in the most sensible manner, leveraging smarter connectors for improve adjustments, and so on.  Not sure where to start, with any of this.

BTW:  Kite is a ca.1996 TOTL Sizzle Ultralight, with everything intact except the four spreader connectors (to be replaced with APA).  Photo below, showing a variant of the S.U. (mine's got a somewhat different panel/color layout).

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  In terms of "where to start"... you're doing it by posting here.  I'd say that this forum (and a few others) are going to be your best bet for resources in terms of restoring your kite.  There are some books about building kites, but most that I've seen are dated or lack current techniques. Some fundamentals of repair and construction will not change much (such as the fundamentals of sewing), but consider that the materials and designs of modern kites are significantly changed from what you have (not a bad thing, just what has happened over time).

I'll address your questions as I'm able.

1. To replace your leading edge connector, you'll need to thread the spar through the sleeve, and then through the connector at their respective areas.  I assume that your kite as a single leading edge, so you'll need to thread the spar in the wingtip without a connector on it... advance it to the lower spreader connector hole and place the APA on the end of the spar.  Then, slowly advance the spar further toward the nose, and push the APA connector down the spar as you move it up the leading edge tunnel.  As you reach the upper spreader connection area, place the next connector on the end of the spar and proceed as you were (now pushing the APAs down the spar a little at a time as you advance the spar... alternate between the upper and lower connector as you move forward and eventually you'll get it all the way in.  Sewer's aid is a good tool to make the connectors slippery while you perform this maneuver). Depending on your bridle, you may need to thread this on in the same manner if the leading edge connectors are loops that are sewn into the bridle.  If the bridle is just tied on, save yourself the additional hassle and just tie it back on when you're done threading the spar and the connectors.

2. I don't know what your current bridle is made out of.  If you want to upgrade, my guess is that you would benefit from ordering some "spectra core bridle line".  I would not add any clips or anything.  The majority of flyers on this forum use measured flying lines that have a sleeved loop at the end... meaning they take the entirety of the line off the winder.  The looped sleeve then connects to the bridle by means of a larks head knot.  The bridle should have a stopper knot to keep the larks head from sliding off the end of the line.  This is the best method, as will not wear out your bridle or your flying lines as fast as a clip connection might. 

Regarding altering the bridle dimensions or style... I would be hesitant to do this with your kite as you risk making it unpleasant to fly.  I don't know anything about the kite you're referencing, but just based on it's age and shape, I'd say that it is an excellent afternoon flyer for precision/figure flying.  That being said, I think that the number of slack line, freestyle tricks will be limited.  Kite design has changed significantly since 1996. 

So, I'd start by getting your APA connectors in place and finding a decent set of flying lines.  Then fly the kite and figure out what you want from it.  If you're happy with how it flies, then job complete.  If it leaves you wanting more, consider building a new kite or finding a new one (the forum is a great place to find excellent kites at a reduced price). 

madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50 PM »

I have to contradict the idea of using sewer's lube on the rubber APAs, as oily stuff will break down rubber stuff over the long haul. I wonder how something like a light dusting of talc (baby powder) would work?

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Sewer's aid is silicone based... I've been using it for several years without any problems. 
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:03 PM »

A little water works well enough too

Sine Metu!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20 PM »

I have heard that if you put the APA in very hot water

for a few minutes, it will expand enough to slip over

the spar easily.

Me, I'm tough. I prefer the carbon splinters.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:54 AM »

Sewer's aid is silicone based... I've been using it for several years without any problems.
Should be fine then.  :-)

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 01:03 PM »

I have heard that if you put the APA in very hot water for a few minutes, it will expand enough to slip over the spar easily.

That's of course the best way to insert APAs connectors or stand-offs on the Leading Edges or Lower Spreaders ! I always do that.

Works perfect with APAs but not with all other plastic connectors. Take care !
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:32 PM »

I have to contradict the idea of using sewer's lube on the rubber APAs, as oily stuff will break down rubber stuff over the long haul. I wonder how something like a light dusting of talc (baby powder) would work?

I use a solution of water and dish soap. Works well, and cleans up easy.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:39 PM »

+1 on the dish soap/water that's how we install grips on motorcycles and bicycles where you don't want them slipping off in the future (not fun when you've got the grips and your hands but they are no longer connected to the handlebars) - once the water drys they are stuck on. Silicone will remain slippery, of course the stops should control any movement but I like my fittings to tight.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document