GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your favorite nose material?  (Read 464 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 19, 2013, 02:19 PM »

I just ordered some Cordura 500D and 1000D to see the differences for nose material uses.  I thought a lot of my plate carrier vests I own use mil-spec 1000D which seemed a bit overkill but wasn't sure.  I'm hoping the 500D I ordered is what I'm looking for. The 500D weighs in at 8oz/sq.yd while the 1000D is at 11oz/sq.yd.  I love the way Benson kites uses it for Nose/Tail/TL Stand-off reinforcement so I'll likely build using it in the same manner.

What's your favorite material and reasons/experiences?
Stuart99

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:24 PM »

I am currently using some material from $2 utility bags I bought from Wal-mart. The material looks good and holds up well. I am currently looking for bisonyl mainly for aesthetics . I believe Sugarbaker is working on the search too.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:36 PM »

the old standard was 2" seat belt webbing....durable as hell...just watch out for the explosive charge in the tension device when you cut the belt (some car manufacturers have a good charge in there to stop all belt movement in an accident)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Lou

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:01 PM »

I am currently using some material from $2 utility bags I bought from Wal-mart. The material looks good and holds up well. I am currently looking for bisonyl mainly for aesthetics . I believe Sugarbaker is working on the search too.

That's exactly what I used for the Quartz for the nose and Yo-bar reinforcement spots.  Simply took a Walmart sports bag that apparently just uses the equivalent of 420D Pack Cloth with a urethane coating on one side for waterproofing.  Funny you mentioned that!  Grin

the old standard was 2" seat belt webbing....durable as hell...just watch out for the explosive charge in the tension device when you cut the belt (some car manufacturers have a good charge in there to stop all belt movement in an accident)

That's what I had originally used first time I tried to sew the nose with my old Kenmore.  Sadly it was too heavy a material and the machine didn't like it all.  Since I purchased the Singer HD 4423 I'll have no issues with materials now.  But I did like the ease of assembly with the pack cloth which is why I've currently elected the use of Cordura.  I've not heard of bisonyl.  Google searching as we speak...  Smiley

Wow.... that's some sexy material.  I'll keep looking for this in some respectable weight for kiting but this particular material weighs in at 360gr/m2 so around 12.7oz/m2.  That's equal to 1000D Cordura.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:12 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:31 AM »

I've been using the material from 'document bags' I cut apart ...bought at Home Depot! They've replaced those bags with a new style bag that I'll be using for now on. It appears to be some type of Cordura Nylon but I'm not sure of the weight. It seams plenty durable and not to stiff or heavy! The 'new' bags seam to have a slightly tighter weave than the old bags. They cost less than $3 and there is enough material to do at least a couple nose-pieces and TE/standoff reinforcements.

Here's a pic:

Link:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-Document-Bag-82012N11/203224009?keyword=Husky+document+bag#.UcLzcOBld7Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change