GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC + New SUL --> where can I test it?  (Read 819 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 20, 2013, 05:45 AM »

Ditto...

I'll be in NY from this Sunday 23 till Thursday.
I will have a new SUL kite waiting for me there.
I will obviously not be able to wait until I'm back home to try it!

Any ideas where I can try it?
I will be right next to Madison Square Park.
Do you think, the kite being an SUL, I can try it there?
Can I have trouble with police or people?

Thanks.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:12 AM »

Battery Park will probably be your best bet, it looks like the winds are going to be out of the south, and the good news is they will probably be light. There will always be a lot of people, unless you get there EARLY. Most NYC parks don't allow kite flying, but it's not strictly enforced.

The best place to fly would probably be Liberty State Park, across the river. You can get there by train, it's a short ride...

Take the PATH subway to either Pavonia /Newport or Hoboken.
From there, take the Light Rail to Liberty State Park.

If you go on Sunday, there's a good chance you'll run into some other kite fliers.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:50 AM »

Thanks but I'm afraid the wind will catch up too strong at the waterfront for a real SUL...
That's why I was thinking on an inland place.
Last year I was in Battery Park and the wind made my 13year old son almost fall off the stairs of the entrance to the Native Americans Museum.
OK, I'll check the conditions once I'm there.
Thanks for the tips!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22 AM »

Actually Liberty State Park doesn't always have strong wind. If weather.com says Jersey City is 7 mph it's probably much less. When I lived in NJ I knew it would be good if it was 8 mph or better from the south east. It's not good if it's from the northeast  because it's coming off of Manhattan and Jersey City.

You won't see much better wind if it's from the southeast because it's off the ocean through the Verazzano Narrows. Best place to fly - ever!

Bob D.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 04:47 AM »

Actually Liberty State Park doesn't always have strong wind. If weather.com says Jersey City is 7 mph it's probably much less. When I lived in NJ I knew it would be good if it was 8 mph or better from the south east. It's not good if it's from the northeast  because it's coming off of Manhattan and Jersey City.

You won't see much better wind if it's from the southeast because it's off the ocean through the Verazzano Narrows. Best place to fly - ever!

Thanks bob, but for a true SUL 8mph will be quite at the top limit...
Do you really think I should go then?

In my bag...
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:08 AM »

We've flown your new baby in much higher then that. You'll be fine. Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:49 AM »

Oh, OK!
Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:12 AM »

If the forecast is from the south east you are in good shape. You can see the flag flying from Liberty Island where the Statue of Libery is. If it's fluttering it's probably good for a SUL, probably about 7 mph or less. I always brought a couple of kites just because you can never tell what it's actually going to be. Best time is later in the day.

It's not good from the north east. From the northwest is okay but there's only some small obstruction to the wind flow.

I'm in upstate NY now and really miss the flying there.

Bob D.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Oh, OK!
Thanks!

N.

and by YOUR baby I mean the prototypes. I read that again and went 'aw crap.' haha. You're good up until about 11-12 on the highest bridle setting. The rods are cut super short in that kite so they dont flex much.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change