GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Source of Material for Kite Sleeves  (Read 818 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 20, 2013, 06:33 AM »

I cleaned out my supply of material for kite sleeves and I am looking for suggestions.  The sleeves would be for my very light no/low wind single line kites.  For stunt kites, I use MLD Sleeves.

I found the following post on Craig’s List, which has me interested because the location is the next town over:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/3838394967.html

Do you think the 200 Denier Nylon is heavy enough?  Do you know of a source of material?  With Hang-em High Fabrics and Kite Builder closed, it's getting harder to find building materials.

Thank you,

Doug

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:53 AM »

i would think that is a good weight.....
btw: did i tell you about the velcro on my bag?   durn hook side grabbed the tension line on the back and scruffed (not certain of any other word to describe it) it all up....

That stuff looks like the stuff that Joanne's has as outdoor utility cloth.....works very well.....

I know that Scott Hampton just made a whole bunch of sleeves out of tyvek and it works great..light weight...durable...writeable....cheap enough....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doug S

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34 AM »

thief,

Sent you a PM.

Doug
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:26 AM by Doug S » Logged

boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57 AM »

I like 400x300 Denier Diamond Ripstop available here online:  http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#Diamond Ripstop
Lots of these in my bag.  Ken McNeill used to use it all the time, as well as others. 
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:38 AM »

I like 400x300 Denier Diamond Ripstop available here online:  http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#Diamond Ripstop
Lots of these in my bag.  Ken McNeill used to use it all the time, as well as others. 

This is exactly the material and source I use.  Same material that came with aerostar kites in the past, also.
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:12 AM »

I bought a stock of some of all the colors from Mark's craigslist posting last year for making banners.  The 200 d cloth would make a good sleeve - not quite as stiff as the diamond weave - but certainly substantial enough to protect the kite. 

Doug S

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Thank you.  I sent the Craig's list poster an email, but have not heard back.

Doug

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change