Low Wind Flying Tips For The Newbs

(1/5) > >>

chilese:
General guidelines for flying a kite in light wind.

1 Choose the best flying (not tricking) kite you have for the wind range.

2 Use 50# or 90# line.

3 Know the direction of the wind (cigarette smoke is the best indicator) (I don't smoke).
    This sounds obvious, but low wind direction can change often.

4 Set the bridle for best flying (not tricking).

5 Keep tension on at least 1 line, hopefully both.
     Never let the lines go slack unless you are setting up a trick.

6 Fly horizontal Figure 8s with a DOWNWARD turn at each end.
     This means you'll be climbing the kite through the middle of the window.

7 Walk forward anytime the kite is moving downward, although not enough
      to stall or flare the kite.

8 Stay well away from buildings, trees or other tall objects.

9 Turns should be gradual with minimal hand movement or corrections.
     Set your turn hand position, then lock your elbows against your side.
     Only change the turn radius if you are going to hit something or someone.

I'm better than I was in low wind, but not as good as I'd like to be.

My go-to setup in very low wind:
   Benson Inner Space
   50# line, either 50 or 100 feet

Please feel free to add or modify.

This is mainly for the newer fliers. It's a journey.  :)

trigger:
Thank you Chilese for the great information!

I started flying last year in May and found summer flying very difficult due to the lack of wind.  I quickly picked up a 4d to maximize my summer flying (and a vented Rev for the fall and winter winds).  Although a bit twitchy, I slowly learned to stay airborne.
   Although many flyers can get the most low end out of any kite, I think it is important for a beginner to have a kite that is as forgiving as possible for low winds. I recently obtained a used/new Ocius SUL to maximize my summer tricks also.  (Very happy with this kite)
   Today I flew in 2-4mph winds with 0mph mixed in and only touched earth due to tip wraps(my fault,,, I know more slack). My skills in low winds have certainly improved over time, but the kite does help.  I"ve flown my zephyr on short lines, no upper spreader and it has never been this easy. 
   I'm not trying to get everyone to buy a light wind kite, but if you are as addicted as many of us are.... ya may want to invest.

1. Look for the cleanest wind possible- my trick is hold my arm out, thumb up... if the tree/building line is just a tad bigger than your finger nail, you should be GOOD!

2. Fingers on the lines- it allows you to feel tension much better.  As i discovered today, too much slack isn't good either in low wind. Good advice Rob B gave me the other day was to "guide" the kite through the trick nice and slow(really helped me today!)

3.(should be 1)  MOVE!!!!! they are called SPORT kites... walk backwards to maintain tension and forward to gain ground.  you will NEVER do a 360 standing in one spot.

Being a NEWB myself, maybe my perspective can help some too :)

Great idea Chilese!!!!
jim

indigo_wolf:
From Mr. Barresi
Kitelife Issue 39: Milking the BreezeKitelife Issue 40: Milking the Breeze (part 2)
ATB,
Sam

ko:
Watched J.B. fly a toxic green exile in pretty much 0-1 a few years ago not just flying but tricking  J.C. was there also He is definitely no slouch in the light air game himself... The inner space was a kite I could fly in no wind But I did not enjoy it so I passed it on and wait for 1-2 Thanks for the topic

Dano:
I would edit guideline #3, John.

Cigars work a whole lot better.

I dont smoke either.
I Just put one in my mouth always when flying
 to know when the wind is changing direction. 

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page