GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 02:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fabric Store Quartz ReBorn!  (Read 1488 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 21, 2013, 02:18 PM »

Ok so as to not clutter up the SS/Magnet build post I thought to just drop images into this post as I progress in the re-making of the Joann's Fabric Quartz.  The original sail has been dated, signed and rolled up for posterity.

Here are quite a few images of the new sail for the Quartz.  So far I have put 9 hours into making proper card stock templates, cutting out panels, glueing panels and pinstripe and of course finally sewing everything so far together.  I was able to apply alot of things into this build I of course didn't understand the first time.  I used a proper 3 step ZigZag for the entire sail except for the spine seam where I used a Semi Flat Felled Seam with a straight stitch x2. Thanks also to sugarbaker for helping explain this process to me along with Sailrite videos to watch the actual sewing processs  Cheesy 

I used a great gluing device similar to that which Krijn uses on his builds.  This was actually a Scotch Brand version of the same tape dispenser.  This made panel attachment incredibly fast since there was no waiting 2 hours per panel for the fabric glue.  They make larger refillable versions but I found these at Walmart for $1.49ea.  It will take two of these to complete a full size kite.  Adhesion was great on the PC-31 and the Mylar.  Really strong bond and doesn't gum up your needle at all.

I may have gone a bit off the deep end with Mylar but I was so excited to actually get some in that I had no option but to indulge in it!  I also went pinstripe crazy this time also.  I have always loved the accent and its contrasting effects.  Krijn helped me get this pinstripe scheme confirmed.   Wink 

At some point this week I will order a five new P2X tubes to replace the camo P2X tubes I first used.  For your viewing pleasures...

Scotch Double Sided Adhesive Roller

New Modifed Templates All Cut Out and Ready

Taking Over Kitchen Table!

Panels Put In Place

Completed Sewn Sail (Time for Dacron!)

Semi Flat Felled Seam

Semi Flat Felled Seam

Stitched Pinstripe

Stitched Pinstripe

Stitched Pinstripe

Stitched Pinstripe

Stitched Pinstripe

Stitched Pinstripe

Semi Flat Felled Seam (Backside)

Stitching (Backside)

Custom Wingtip

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:42 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:10 PM »

looks good! Thanks for sharing.  What frame are you going to be using?
Lou

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:46 PM »

looks good! Thanks for sharing.  What frame are you going to be using?

It took a little while to get a comfortable feel with frame combinations as I initially started freestyle kite flying pulling on lines like a gorilla.  The original sail fabric although fairly wind proof was always stretching to some degree and I'm sure this did not help make pulls immediately reactive in any way.  Since then I've learned to push/pull my lines with a bit more ease. I really like the balance and rigidity from an entire P2X frame with Nitro STD lower spreaders and pultruded upper spreader (had to add 4 additional grams, from the spec'd 10g, to the tail weight to offset the imbalance due to the lack of Structil for the upper spreader, pultruded in the united States is so much more heavier.  22g per 32.5in. @6mm vs. 15g per 32.5in @ 6mm).  I'm currently using a total of 16g of ballast and this has improved my ability to Yoyo and the kite doesn't lay back so deep when you put it on it's backside. 

I also changed over to a simple brass door pin cut to required weight.  $0.69 for a package of four at Home Depot.  A full doorpin with the head Dremel'd off weighs 23g.  Image below shows the middle one @10g and the right one @23g.  I simply press fit the 23g pin into 6.3mm HQ Splitnocks and 20g or less into 6mm HQ Splitnocks as the small amount of tapered portion of pin is cut off as you go under 20g and diameter changes from 6.3 to 6mm.

I'm also sure P200 frame with 5PT lower spreaders would behave the same way but with a slight increase in overall frame flex.  Some do prefer a less rigid frame.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:45 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
trigger
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Can't wait to have my first sewing lesson with my mother-in-law when we go on vacation in July...  then.... I"m in

thanks for the good info!
jim
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 10:26 AM »

yes

nice job, good luck with the rest
coogee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Looks great, should be a cracking kite!
 Mike
Lou

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 05:41 PM »

yes

nice job, good luck with the rest

Looks great, should be a cracking kite!
 Mike

Thanks guys,  I'm just glad to have all materials in inventory and now building much better quality kites.  I'm actually glad I took the cheap route initially as it let me not be so fearful of building and techniques.  I was experimental and tried just about everything I read up on.  So now my confidence is much better than ever and ready for any kite plan and eager to adapt and modify to my own personal liking. 

Well today is my wedding anniversary and the wife went to get herself all done up for tonight so I had a few hours to work on the kite while we are in between events.  Here's another quick post of images.  Only got some trailing and leading edges done.  The nose pocket and leech line done also.  Sorry for the somewhat dark images.  I have no time to photo edit today!  Cheesy

Maybe tomorrow I can finish it up!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:44 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
alien

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 06:47 AM »

Oh yes,very tidy... Tongue
Lou

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:01 AM »

Ok my Sunday was pretty busy so again only a little bit of building time permitted.  Here are some more low light/quality pics for now.  Once finished I'll try to get some outdoor shots taken.  If I recall I finished the nose, got spars pushed through to test the fit of the Nitro tubes on the LE pockets.  I ended using Nitro STD for upper LEs and LSs and Nitro Strongs for lower LEs.  I used a spare 5P tube for spine since I didn't want to waste a 40in 5PT.  For some reason I only order 40s instead of a mix of 32s also. Sad I don't think I'll be flying anymore vintage 90s kites for a while so no worries on the loss of a 5P.  Definitely caught the Freestyle bug. 

I also did the snag-less standoffs and kept the 16g doorpin ballast, although may go back to 10g as this new version of kite is using the heavier Nitros on the LE's so may need to rebalance to accomodate the additional 5g added to the bottom end.  Turbo Bridle is being repurposed into the new build so I'll attach that tonight maybe.  I just need to finish making some slightly modified APA connectors for the upper spreader.. darn Nitro tubes are so BIG!  Yo-bars will also be reinstalled (Benson Style and Snagless Mounting).  Can't wait to get this one up in the air.  Next will be finishing the SixthSense (modified mylar spine version) and hopefully a Monster.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:46 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Lou

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 07:27 AM »

Well, I'll just need to perform some minor tasks to finalize the build but here is the completed kite.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:32 AM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
TBHinPhilly
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:57 AM »

Very nicely done.  Maybe everyone should build their first kite out of fabric store nylon for the practice before moving on to the good stuff.   Smiley
Lou

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05 AM »

Thank you.  I also forgot to pay my respects to the first build.

RIP Le Quartz MKI

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 08:12 PM »

Wow, wow, wow!
Really nice Lou!

Just one comment, aren't the rollbars very thick?

Please report on flying!
Cheers!

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Lou

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17 PM »

Wow, wow, wow!
Really nice Lou!

Just one comment, aren't the rollbars very thick?

Please report on flying!
Cheers!

The roll bars are 3mm fiberglass rods as specified by many builders.  This particular set was styled after the Benson version.  I noticed they use 2mm for UL and 3mm for STD.  They weigh almost nothing actually and are easily removable and revert back to normal yoyo stoppers.  I will actually drop the size down to 2mm once I locate a vendor that sells proper wrapped glass rods.  I plan on making a UL version so it would be best to use 2mm by default.

I've improved dramatically on being able to yoyo on command and without much issue with line wrap control so I likely won't use them anyway. I have a day off tomorrow so hopefully winds will be with me tomorrow and I can finally fly a proper kite for the first time.  I will likely need to adjust the ballast a bit but I have assorted weights ready to interchange.  I'll hopefully have a short video of its flight posted also.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:16 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 02:15 AM »

very nice kite!

in the talons 2mm-carbon rod is used as rollbars, works also (you'll break one every year)

Krijn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document