GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low wind success!  (Read 298 times)
TJC
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 24, 2013, 06:44 AM »

Following the excellent advice posted on the other thread I made some progress this weekend.

The wind was really almost unflyable when i first arrived at Ft Mott to fly. 2 to 5 with gusts all the way up to 6!!!! Still, i decided i was flying.

BTW I chose FT Mott because the predicted wind was SSW and that is a fairly clear access over the Delaware River. The wind was more ESE when i got there putting the wind direction over a tree line. But the place is big enough get some distance. The wind clocked to S after about an hour and all was good.

I learned the fine art of flying while walking backwards! The really good thing was how much I could feel the kite.  I worked on my figure eights and then as the wind filled into a steady higher level was able to practice some stalls. They were raggy but I managed a few decent stalls and was happy with that. I pulled the kite out of the air more than once doing my best trick - the spin crash!!!! All low speed so no harm. I figured out less snap!!!

The low wind allowed me to try some fade launches and a flare to a fade. Why this out of all the things to do, i don't know? But I managed to fly the kite in a fade, after flaring it and I was able to recover from the fade and fly to the top of the window to try something else. Of course, at this point I'm a one trick pony and there was nothing else to try! Back to raggy stalls!

All and all a good couple hours of flying! yesterday was rained out after 15 minutes when it became apparent that the thunderstorm on the horizon was coming my way. Not having any keys to tie to the kite line I called it a day after one fade, a couple stalls, along with better looking figure eights in very low wind. All flown with the E2.

THX to all for your advice!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:47 AM by TJC » Logged
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:59 AM »

Awesome, awesome, awesome. 1 day progress is the best where you can totally see a huge difference from start to finish. Keep working on slow movements and controlled flying. Low winds is all about finesse, imho. Takes a bit to figure it out it changes based on the kite (what doesn't..?) but man does it pay off. My fav winds to fly in are .5-1 with a ProDancer SUL  Cool. Another cool way to learn things is to basically experiment and start pulling strings, literally, see what the kite does, and try to duplicate it 5 - 7 times in a row.  You'll start to see how the kite reacts to certain inputs. and then learn to duplicate it. So many ways to skin a cat in this hobby, haha. Enjoy!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:08 PM »

If a cool trick happens by mistake while you are experimenting, tell yourself, "I meant to do that!!!" Laugh at yourself and have fun with the fantasy. Don't bother saying that to another flier, unless they need a laugh, too.

I told myself that when I got a 900 (540 + 360).  Tongue
While trying the 540, accidentally stepped over one of the slack lines laying on the sand.   Roll Eyes
As the slack was taken up by the kite, the line came up between my legs to my crotch.   Huh
Hopped on one foot in the loose sand while trying to swing the other leg over the line.  Shocked
The 540 morphed into an extra 360 for a 900 while this was going on.  Cool
Lost my balance as my foot swung over the line.  Lips sealed
Kite did a nose plant, aka a sand dart.  Sad
Told myself, "I meant to do that."    Cheesy
Nobody else around to witness the fiasco.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:16 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography