GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 11:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KITES,SPORT OR HOBBY?  (Read 2624 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43 AM »

It's neither a sport or a hobby, unless you're building your own.

It's an excuse to potter about in a big field talking to yourself without looking like that's all you're doing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:05 AM by JimB » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 12:41 PM »

We all know that Wikipedia is always right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports#Kite_Sports   Cheesy

But seriously, that is an interesting list. All these things that "someone" considers to be a sport.

You can imagine this same thread on an RC model forum. We've had this same thread on THIS forum several times over the years. A near classic, though not as entertaining as the "kites in the Olympics" threads.  Smiley

As others have said, it depends on how and why you fly. When I competed, I practiced a lot, worked on specific skills, measured my progress, then performed in from of judges and was ranked among other competitors. Regardless of the specific activity, this sounds a lot like a sport.

Looking at our specific activity, it certainly requires more hand-eye coordination than some established sports and requires a knowledge and judgment about the environment/surroundings/venue/playing field which are a factor in many others. It can be a team or individual activity.

Like many sports, a wide range of the population can learn how to do it well enough for continued enjoyment and casual competition. Like many sports, only a very small percentage of the population has the aptitude to perform at the highest levels. I other words, a shlub like me can get just as much enjoyment or satisfaction out of the activity as a Graziano or a Debray, but could never fly like them.

All that said, I don't consider sport kite flying (the way I do it) a sport. Just like I don't consider what most people do on a golf course a sport. They are fun things to do, social activities, games, a challenge (that's a biggie).

I've always thought the term "stunt" kite to be mildly derisive, and "sport" kite is more descriptive of the physical activity. I suppose the distinction is only relevant to muggles.

Allen, AKA kitehead
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Huh
           h
           e
            l
            p
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 04:23 PM »

It's a relaxing obsession  Cool
alien

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37 AM »

Yes,its all good.
But the question still remains.
Hey!,in most non contact sports you can hit your peak later in life?
EG: A bald head is more aerodynamic,hydrodynamic and the brain also performs much better at a cooler temperature.
A fat ass lowers the bodies centre of gravity, improves balance and stores mostly good fats for Armourgeddon.
An older brain has much less peripheral distraction as its busy trying not to stuff up the task at hand.
Continence pads increase clothing performance and endurance.

ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10 AM »

Alien..... If you are describing yourself, then in your case, YES it is definitely a sport LOL
Hang in there, Kurt

have fun kurt
Cyphert

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 08:12 PM »

i would say its more therapy then a hobby.  its like asking if driving a car is racing or recreational. its just what it is. aka awesome.
alien

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 04:34 AM »

Therapy,yes it is,but is it sport therapy or hobby therapy?

Cry

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 06:16 AM »

I always related stunt kite flying to golf and surfing. Its a lot harder than it looks. If you are seriously tricking a $400 custom kite or just flying a $75 kite in figure 8's for an hour then I think its the same type of sport but of course at very different levels. It requires some level of skill and its a lot harder than it looks to do a nice LAZY SUSAN after you purchased your first stunt kite which is a HUGE leap for most people to THINK in this direction TODAY. The cheaper it is normally the more difficult it is to do this beginner trick ... I had a lifeguard come up to me once at First Ave. and say surfing is the ultimate beach sport but I am impressed with your skills. Surfing is it a sport? Of course it is ... I only body board now ... I surfed when younger ... had a six handicap 20 years ago in GOLF ... this is also a SPORT. If you don't compete EVER ... its BECOMES more of a hobby or obsession. It gets lost in this fashion ... I remember a comment on this channel about two years ago some stunt kiter in Texas (could have been anywhere) says my favorite winds are 25 mph ... its a tough concept to wrap my mind around this comment today ...  Roll Eyes. A 2-3 mph wind off the ocean at sunset? What's this guy's skill set if 25 mph winds are his favorite winds? Stunt Kites and Revs are like surfing and golf ... its a SPORT. It requires a certain level of skill, physical input and certain types of equipment to make it easier or more difficult based on your knowledge/experience as in GOLF or SURFING. One more example - if you join a country club and pay $10,000 a year and do weekend tournaments with other club members ... is golf a sport? If you go to a public links course and pay $50 for a monthly round of golf is it a hobby? You will never get a satisfactory answer Alien ... from everyone.

APJ   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:19 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
alien

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:25 AM »

APJ,
congrats on that 6 handicap.
Still i will seek my answer!
6,i cant break 90?
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 07:37 AM »

That was when I was at the local country club at 35 years old and played 4-5 times a week in this SPORT and owned a $75 stunt kite as a weekend HOBBY thing when at the beach 1-2/month between June-August doing figure-8's in 25 mph winds  Cheesy.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Cyphert

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 12:41 AM »

i would think i would see more kites in a sporting store then a hobby store.... but where are kite usually found?

toy stores.
alien

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 04:10 AM »

The plot has thickened............ Undecided
Cyphert

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 03:37 AM »

If kite flying is a sport then I am an athlete.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change