GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Dacron.  (Read 1673 times)
keiz
Trade Count: (0)
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:15 AM »

Hi all,

How does a dacron fibre texture feels like? Is it suppose to be smooth or rough? Sorry for such a noob question. This fabric isn't easily available in my country. I've managed to find one but it feels very smooth, like polyester, just that it's thinner. In the pictures that I see, it seems to be those lightweight, rough type of texture. Doesn't feel like the one I've found. Hopefully, someone can enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:31 AM by keiz » Logged
EBGB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:57 AM »

Dacron is Dupont's trademarked name for Polyester, so they're the same thing.
Dacron/Polyester is just a fiber, that's made in to yarns, which are made into fabrics.

The Dacron that kitemakers use for leading edges, for example, is a fairly small yarn, woven quite tightly, to give it a fairly smooth texture. It's usually refered to as 3.9 Oz Dacron (3.9 Oz per sailmaker's yard), and comes from the sail making industry where it's used to make main sails.

The polyester used for kite sails is a much smaller yarn, woven even tighter, with a repeating patern of heavier yarns woven in to create a criss-cross pattern they call ripstop. It is coated and calendared to make it less likely to stretch, and prevent air from passing through it. "Icarex"/PC 31 have polycarbonate coatings. The "31" in "PC31" is 31 Grams/M2. When you see 1/2, 3/4, or 1-1/2 Ounce, they're refering to ounces per sail makers yard again.
It comes from the boat sail makers world again. But it's used for making spinakers.

You're unlikely to find either of these in a fabric store, but you might be able to find leftovers from a sailmaker. Or grit your teeth and place an international order.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography