GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet control  (Read 1749 times)
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 04, 2013, 01:53 PM »

I want to be able to keep my child from using the internet when he's in trouble without turning the internet completely off for the rest of us or taking away his laptop.  Is there a way to do this and how?

Thank
Ron
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:57 PM »

Chain him to the radiator.

It will cut down on his sphere of influence.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:09 PM »

Create usernames- one for him and another for the rest of you. You control the passwords. Even when he isn't in trouble, you can put parental controls on his username. When he IS in trouble, change his password.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
madhabitz

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10 PM »

....and if that doesn't work, I all for the chain and radiator-thing.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34 PM »

you want to make it so that he can not access the internet with his laptop? 
if so that would be easy to do with your router settings.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:16 PM »

you want to make it so that he can not access the internet with his laptop? 
if so that would be easy to do with your router settings.

+1 for controlling Internet access at the router or UTM level.   

One question though, does he have a cellphone with a data plan that he can use as a "modem?"

ATB,
Sam
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Good luck, we tried many things as well, but it's difficult.

With kids being so smart, cell phones with Internet, neighbors unprotected wireless, free wireless in range of the house, etc. 

We finally had some good discussions about behavior, expectations, consequences, etc.  iIt has worked for us for the most part and when it doesn't, I try to remember what is was like becoming a teenage boy! 

Good luck.

6 kite tom
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 11:15 AM »

I have no radiator to chain him to except the one in my van.  I was thinking of learning how to adjust the router settings myself until Tom (tpatter) slapped me in the face with a reality check. Cry  He doesn't have a phone with a data plan but he is smart enough to connect on a neighbor's signal and has done that in the past.  Sigh, gotta love them teenage years. 

Thanks everyone.
Ron
tcope

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02 PM »

First, buy a radiator.

Second, see post #2.

Setting that aside, set up consequences ahead of time for getting caught "cheating". This is how the real world works. Note... I've never had any kids.

Part of the punishment could be use of the laptop only in public areas of the house. Turn off the laptops wireless device. It would take him a moment to turn it on and then back off again.

I run DD-WRT firmware on my route and it's easy to configure just about any use. But this may not be an option for you.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum