GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 11:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late to the Party Sixth Sense  (Read 2525 times)
Lou
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 07, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I know there has already been a simply large number of Sixth Sense build threads so I won't bore you with build stories.  Here's a number of images I collected and just finished sewing the sail.  It was a bit unorthodox as I modified the plans to incorporate additional panels for Mylar and had to also create a special blueprint for laying down and aligning the entire central portion of the kite to properly install the Mylar spine window.  I did not want a spine seam through the Mylar.  I really loved how my Quartz in these colors looked in the sky so I used some charcoal to replace black and used basically the same color scheme.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:21 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:29 PM »

Hmmm... Looking great!  Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51 PM »

I agree! It's looking sharp, Lou! Is that florescent yellow?

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:22 PM »

lovin it! Flour yellow is a great color
Lou

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:49 PM »

I agree! It's looking sharp, Lou! Is that florescent yellow?

Yes, I had purchased rolls of everything gray scale in PC31.  Then I had just bought Flo-Yel, and a nice Royal Blue.  My son wants his SS in a blue scheme so I'll knock out a regular SS in just PC31 in Blue as he likes.  I told myself I would always create every new kite in a completely different color scheme but I loved this scheme in the sky.  So bright and easy to track in clear skies or cloudy.  With all the buzz about how nice this kite flies I figured it best to make this one in my favorite colors as I would likely fly it the most often.  I need to order some additional colors of PC31 though.  I would really like to grab at least a nice Red, Flo-Org, Purple and Pink (hoping wife will want to go flying soon with us!)

One question though.  I wondered if I should create a Dacron spine pocket like with Christian Derefat Kites?  Or just Mylar reinforce the Nose and Tail ends and use the standard round Cordura shape for an all-in-one nose cap reinforcement and spine pocket?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:11 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:43 PM »

Keep in mind that the spine can work its way through cordura or seatbelt webbing if you don't use a pocket in the nose. 
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44 AM »

nice!

do you enjoy the mylar  Cheesy Grin
remember, it was only 2m...
Lou

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:39 AM »

Keep in mind that the spine can work its way through cordura or seatbelt webbing if you don't use a pocket in the nose. 

Ok dacron pocket same as I have made before will be used then.  Wasnt sure on what pattern should be used.  1inch strip over the nose or something more fancy?
Lou

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41 AM »

nice!

do you enjoy the mylar  Cheesy Grin
remember, it was only 2m...

Yes! But this was my last indulgence.  Moving forward I will save the Mylar for reinforcement only.  Although I still need to get working on Christian's Monster also.  Lots of Mylar there.... <gets out credit card and opens webpage to overseas suppliers...> Cry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:20 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Lou

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 01:10 PM »

I just noticed the Velcro strap appears to be approx. 3/4in or maybe 20mm actually in width as well as the bottom of the Dacron portion.  Is this correct and if so has anyone altered the pattern to fit 25mm(1 in.) Velcro instead.  I am thinking about creating an altered Dacron piece to accommodate 25mm Velcro.  I hot cut 25mm down to 20mm and it simply looks like $h!t.  Any ideas would be helpful. 
Stuart99

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24 PM »

I just cheated mine a little wider. No biggie and hardly any increase in weight. I kept the piece of velcro that was sewn to the sail at 1" too
Lou

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 01:59 PM »

I just cheated mine a little wider. No biggie and hardly any increase in weight. I kept the piece of velcro that was sewn to the sail at 1" too

Thanks Stuart.  I'm drafting a new Dacron piece that will be 1 additional inch longer to give me a cleaner looking wrap to the back and will accommodate 1 in. Velcro.  Thanks again for the confirmation.  I could have finished the kite today likely but this frustrated me so that I've put the sail away until the weekend.  I definitely like kite building as a relaxing hobby, but as soon as it becomes frustrating time to take a break.   Wink
Lou

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 02:54 PM »

Ok got to this point with the Sixth Sense but have fallen into some confusing issues build wise.  Although I will need to sew the nose cap again to bring the leading edge spars closer, I'm not sure what I was thinking, the kite still does not meet frame specifications at the top portion of the kite.  The upper spreader seems to pull the leading edges inward and doesn't come close to the upper spreader Velcro protection tab.  The sail was sewn to spec and checked repeatedly.  Only when I created a 590mm upper spreader and lowered the upper spreader connectors down a bit could I get the kite to look normal (as seen in the pictures below).  Again the top isn't meeting the correct measurements.  Any help on how I can go about figuring where to start to figure out my issue is greatly appreciated.  Could not sewing the nose cap to allow the leadings edges to closely meet the spine cause that much of an issue?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:33 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 03:49 PM »

Lou,
I will point out that having the leading edges pulling inward is actually intentional.  Compare your pics to the majority of SS pics out there and I susect you'll see that the nose portion of your model is looking too wide.  There are a number of kites and designs out there that utilize this... and create and 'S' shaped leading edge.  One of my favorite kites, the Focus Jinx uses this same technique.  It creates a slightly loose area in the sail that will form a more pronounced air foil shape while in flight.
Stuart99

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 05:41 PM »

I interpreted the nose for this build to be like the nose on the Invictus, without the small seam that keeps the spine from reaching the tip of the nose. My guess is that resewing the nose will straighten everything out.

A pattern for the Invcitus is on the templates page of the plan.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography