GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late to the Party Sixth Sense  (Read 3647 times)
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Here ya go:

Lou

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Thanks Stuart/Stephen!

I actually had printed out a number of plans on A0 and found I had the Invictus.  I used that very image and corrected my existing nose cap without much issue.  The leading edges came right up to the spine as it should.  I adjusted the leading edge sail tension and triple checked all points and to make sure everything falls into spec.  The nose definitely isn't as wide as before and looks much more pointed again.  I didn't realize the SS was designed like that.  First time I had seen a leading edge bend like that!  Wink

The upper spreader still sits slightly higher than center on the rub patch but it appears many builds come out like that I guess.  If you are taking measurements from the end of the leading edge spar where it now touches the center spine, then it lands dead center on the rub patch.  I've decided to set all measurements now from the starting end of the leading edge and everything looks pretty darn nice.  I'll have the stoppers in place and glued this weekend and finish the bridle now that I know the frame is proper.  I do have one more question, how far from the center-T is the first standoff?  Then the second from the first?  Mine is currently set at 305mm from dead center on the R-Sky Center-T to the center seam of the inner standoff connector.

I'll also snap some updated images in the morning so the kite can be looked over.  I think it's all set though.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:27 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
Lou

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41 AM »

Corrected assembly images of my Custom Sail Sixth Sense STD Pro:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:06 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:57 PM »

Now it's lookin right!  Well done!
Lou

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Now it's lookin right!  Well done!

Thank you!  It felt really good to build this one in particular.  I felt pretty proud about it this morning but I must admit it feels good when you guys think it looks like a good job.  Thanks again for the help.  If anyone can provide those measurements that would be great also!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:15 PM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Great build good look'n kite
 Mike
sugarbaker

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 06:32 PM »

I don't have the exact measurements (kite is in the car ready for kite festival in Westport, WA tomorrow), but I can tell you that I have rarely measured.  I put the standoff where it is ninety degrees of the spreader, and then on occasion move the connector 5mm closer to the Center T (on the lower spreader) in order to put a mild inward push (lower spreader pushed into center T).  This was a hint that I think Ken McNeill mentioned to me as a way to help keep your spreader seated in the event of a crash (I've never had a spreader pop out of the center T on any of Ken's kites... so maybe it works!).

Once I have one side set where I want it, I just measure and set the opposite side at the same.  Once the first kite is in the place I like, I usually compare future builds to that one (if they are still in my possession).

Anyway, just go out and fly that thing.  it will be a blast. 
Lou

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Ok just got back from a fun and encouraging weekend of flying the new Sixth Sense and I did have some concerns about its flight characteristics.  With a bridle setting of 51up/51out/64in I did like its flight in 7-10mph winds.  I had 23g ballast also.  I increased ballast (at one point up to 33g and although yoyos became easier I still noticed this inability to go from flare to fade from a downward flight path center wind window.  The same went from a ground recovery where in the flare position (belly down on the ground) you can pop the kite into the air and sit the kite into a fade position.  I guess also known as  Fade Launch Smiley  This was also very difficult to do initiallly. 

Now the flare was easy enough to initiate in the air, I had to however with an increased amount of effort and low success rate could not complete a clean transition to a fade.  So after many hours of bridle adjustments and weight changes I seem to find comfort in a 52.5up/49.5out/65in and staying with 25g ballast.  It still appears there is an increased amount of input needed when going from flare to fade as compared to the Quartz, but it is much more consistent to complete now.  Everything else trick wise that I can do appears to be there without issue.

Anyone have any input on their settings or experiences with the SS? I would also be interested in anyone using a turbo or reverse turbo and what settings they use. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:58 PM by Lou » Logged
sugarbaker

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01 PM »

I've not experienced any of he issues you mention... I'm happy with the bridle in the original configuration.
Stuart99

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 04:07 AM »

I haven't had any issues with mine either. Try a slower, sweeping input and see if that helps. Not all kites like to be popped into a fade from a flare--the Invictus even more so than the SS.
Lou

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 09:18 AM »

I haven't had any issues with mine either. Try a slower, sweeping input and see if that helps. Not all kites like to be popped into a fade from a flare--the Invictus even more so than the SS.

Actually late last night I was getting very tired from being out flying for hours and working on the kite.  I actually noticed I was popping (gorilla flight style) less and pulling (sweeping action more so) which may be exactly why I was starting to be able to Flare>>>Fade where before I couldn't.  I had also noticed when belly down on the ground pointed away that when I performed a more longer pull back of the lines rather than a strong pop of the lines the kite behaved better.  I guess I need set the kite back to stock bridle.  Although setting the bridle "heavy" @ 52/49 rather than 51/51 I shouldn't be as an issue either.  I haven't modified the bridle from stock in anyway.  Just set for higher wind.  I was just shocked that the Quartz and the SS were so very different with the one particular motion.  Everywhere else it is just amazing to watch in the air.  I love executing axles and taz's with it.  Looks so nice!

The SS reminds me alot of a Nirvana although I have had little time with that kite as well as it was borrowed for a an hour on a beach years back.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:26 AM by Lou (Spectra Sports) » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 11:41 AM »

I too, notice no oddities with the kite as you describe - its flick-flacks and fades much better than most kites in my opinion. 

But, as we are on the subject, I have been tweaking things slightly and would be interested in what others may think or have tried. 

Overall, I like the kite very much - it's a winner and I do agree that it fits into the well-behaved and predictable Nirvana-style handling and flight category, although the SS seems to be more eager to trick and some tricks like the Taz are super-easy on it.

One thing that I sought to improve was the multi-lazy.  It's ok as-is, but I wanted it to be more locked in and flatter.  So, I tried moving the lower APA down a bit and it worked - the kite stays in the lazy more solidly, maintains the riser position more solidly, and I think cometes better when there is little sail pressure.  I changed nothing else about the kite and there seem to be no ill-affects.  I'm going to move it back next time out and compare again.

Anyone tried this or other minor tweaks? 

The kite does seem to be resilient to a wide variety of modifications while retaining its overall abilities (much like the Nirvana as well as Lam's kites).

Thanks,
-Tom

6 kite tom
Lou

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27 PM »

What I was noticing was it appeared to always not get the Flare to Fade completed as easily as I could with the Quartz.  Of course the smaller kite should by all means permit at least that manuever an easier transition.  I just seemed to always find myself unable to transition easily and find that from the Flare the kite lawn darting downward again.  Again I may just need to focus on completing a more "flat" Flare and then pull into a Fade rather than pop or aggressively pull into Fade.  May just simply be my style as I am still a novice.  Just disconcerning that I could do it easily on one kite and not as easy on another.  Maybe there are bridle issues, build issues or something I just don't see.

It would be sad to park this kite for for something I hope can be understood or corrected.  We will see...
Stuart99

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 03:41 PM »

If all kites flew exactly the same, we would only need one kite, right? Wink
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 04:30 PM »

I just seemed to always find myself unable to transition easily and find that from the Flare the kite lawn darting downward again.  Again I may just need to focus on completing a more "flat" Flare and then pull into a Fade rather than pop or aggressively pull into Fade. 

I think that you've got this right.  It's a big kite with a large sail.  Try getting it flatter.  I've found its pretty forgiving even if you over-rotate beyond horizontal.  I have not tried the "pop it on the way out to the flare and flop it over" flare to fade.  I will give that a go next time that I am out.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change