Speedkites

Pages: (1/2) > >>

ae:

Hrmm,, sitting here and I wonder...

Over here in Germany, France and to a lesser extend Speedkites are a pretty big thing.
Given the perceived thing for Americans for all kinds of fast and powerful, why is there nothing like that across the pond i wonder. Pretty much very kite that comes out of the USA is casual or trick these days.

Is it that speedkites are perceived as boring, since they pretty much absolutely can't trick, of course some say that even getting them into the air is a trick by itself :)

Do you guys have no sources for good honest speedkites? I think that will factor in a great deal, since most of build over here and shipping is on the expensive side.
Which of course reduces the exposure to them, which reduces the desire to have one in return ... vicious circle.

And in case someone is wondering, some video impressions of them in action:

--
Andre Eibel Scalpel #4 at 3-5 bft

--
Long Duong Typhon Spi/My at 3-4 bft

--
Lycos 2.0 bei 4-6 bft.

--
Speedkitingcontest2012.wmv

alien:

Thats hot,
wish i had a long duong.......... :(
Incredible,looks like they are even faster stacked?

thief:

I would guess that to start with the fact that these kites are pretty hard to find and then get shipped into the US is the biggest hurdles....

I would love to see a pile of these from a maker show up at a US festival for everyone to try.....that might spark some interest........

coop:

Quote from: alien on July 08, 2013, 09:44 AM
--
Thats hot,
wish i had a long duong.......... :(
Incredible,looks like they are even faster stacked?

--

That statement is all kinds of wrong. Lol!

Smeagol:

Hah!

I'm definitely a fan of the speed kites.  I have a few:  Long Duong Tiger II, Level One Razorback, Spiderkites Atrax High AR (now called the U.R.O.), and a Spiderkites Lycos 2.5.  I have yet to fly the Razorback for more than 3 minutes, mainly just due to wind conditions and busting my heel soon after I got it.  :D

I think much of it has to do with wind conditions (at least around here).  There aren't many days where I can reliably fly most of them.  Still, that doesn't explain why they aren't more popular along the coast where their are ideal wind conditions.  The Long Duong Tiger II is especially difficult to get started, but once it's going it's a blast.  Just ask some of the last KP participants.  Mark and Kent had some fun flying my Tiger II when the wind really picked up.

Yes, they are somewhat difficult to find here in the US.  Every single one of mine came from overseas except for the HQ X-Celerator I used to own.  The HQ was a nice starter speed kite, not quite up to the build quality of the LD kites but also about half the price.  ;D

Sure, they don't do tricks, but I don't care... it's all about the speed.

I suppose the Flexi Hotshots are sort've speed kite-ish a little too.  Probably the closest thing we have in the US although now of course that size is no longer made. :(

-Mike

Pages: (1/2) > >>