GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedkites  (Read 811 times)
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 08, 2013, 08:46 AM »

Hrmm,, sitting here and I wonder...

Over here in Germany, France and to a lesser extend Speedkites are a pretty big thing.
Given the perceived thing for Americans for all kinds of fast and powerful, why is there nothing like that across the pond i wonder. Pretty much very kite that comes out of the USA is casual or trick these days.

Is it that speedkites are perceived as boring, since they pretty much absolutely can't trick, of course some say that even getting them into the air is a trick by itself Smiley

Do you guys have no sources for good honest speedkites? I think that will factor in a great deal, since most of build over here and shipping is on the expensive side.
Which of course reduces the exposure to them, which reduces the desire to have one in return ... vicious circle.

And in case someone is wondering, some video impressions of them in action:

Andre Eibel Scalpel #4 at 3-5 bft

Long Duong Typhon Spi/My at 3-4 bft

Lycos 2.0 bei 4-6 bft.

Speedkitingcontest2012.wmv
alien
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Thats hot,
wish i had a long duong.......... Sad
Incredible,looks like they are even faster stacked?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:51 AM by alien » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44 AM »

I would guess that to start with the fact that these kites are pretty hard to find and then get shipped into the US is the biggest hurdles....

I would love to see a pile of these from a maker show up at a US festival for everyone to try.....that might spark some interest........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:32 PM »

Thats hot,
wish i had a long duong.......... Sad
Incredible,looks like they are even faster stacked?

That statement is all kinds of wrong. Lol!

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:00 PM »

Hah!

I'm definitely a fan of the speed kites.  I have a few:  Long Duong Tiger II, Level One Razorback, Spiderkites Atrax High AR (now called the U.R.O.), and a Spiderkites Lycos 2.5.  I have yet to fly the Razorback for more than 3 minutes, mainly just due to wind conditions and busting my heel soon after I got it.  Cheesy

I think much of it has to do with wind conditions (at least around here).  There aren't many days where I can reliably fly most of them.  Still, that doesn't explain why they aren't more popular along the coast where their are ideal wind conditions.  The Long Duong Tiger II is especially difficult to get started, but once it's going it's a blast.  Just ask some of the last KP participants.  Mark and Kent had some fun flying my Tiger II when the wind really picked up.

Yes, they are somewhat difficult to find here in the US.  Every single one of mine came from overseas except for the HQ X-Celerator I used to own.  The HQ was a nice starter speed kite, not quite up to the build quality of the LD kites but also about half the price.  Grin

Sure, they don't do tricks, but I don't care... it's all about the speed.

I suppose the Flexi Hotshots are sort've speed kite-ish a little too.  Probably the closest thing we have in the US although now of course that size is no longer made. Sad

-Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:30 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:18 AM »

I love speed kites too. Wish we hand more options in the US.

I have the HQ fazer and for old flexifoils.

Love watching your videos.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:43 AM »

Alien: No, they are not faster stacked, except in corner cases, but a stack pulls a lot more Smiley which can help when you have a to thick line for a single kite for the given wind.

Smeagol: Flexifoil stackers/pro team/super 10 etc are very fast, given the right wind they are a blast. With the super 10 the fastest of the bunch. The hotshot is more a hurricane level wind kite Smiley

In general i agree you guys seem to have a significant problem in obtaining such kites, which is a shame, they are a blast to fly. Especially in those windy times when tricking is turning into work.

Wind quality also plays a role, the smoother the better, they react in general badly to gusty or uneven winds.

Another problem i think is that not many are produced by the bigger labels. With Level One stepping up their collection of them, Razorback, Balor soon in 3 sizes, 270, 200 and 160. Long only builds small series himself and after that on order. Smaller manufactures like Spiderkites, Spacekites have some as well. And then there is the masses of home brews like mine and others in the European speedkite community.

Thief: Yeah, that would prolly help a lot to spark the interest, but most of them are build by 1 person shops, which makes it expensive to have a bunch of them and fly over to a trade show.
alien

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:20 AM »

I want one,"I feel the need".
Hey! Maybe all my Micron hours are a good warm up?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:51 AM »

Looking back at old issues of Kite Lines you see speed was one of the first things we thought of over here for competitions. There was a company making timing equipment where the object of the competition was to fly through the gates to time in, complete a predetermined figure and fly back through the gates to time out in the shortest time. The precision of the figure wasn't a determining factor only the time taken to complete it.

Thankfully we didn't concentrate only on speed and found our kites were capable of other things, otherwise we would've ended up with blown, nitrous injected, V8's in our kites, LOL. But your point is a good one, usually we are interested in the fastest, the biggest ect. ect. "If some is good more is better" line of thinking but speed kiting has never gotten a strong foothold here.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document