GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 08:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock n Roll  (Read 1754 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 14, 2009, 10:39 PM »

After watching the PBS show on Neil Young I went looking to find the Saturday Night Live version of Rockin' in the Free World, a memorable performance. Not on You Tube though, but a lot of great Neil stuff ... which lead into most of the performances off the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary celebration. One of the best off that was Eddie Vedder's rendition of Masters of War. So of course that led into a few versions of Pearl Jam covering Rockin' in the Free World. Not too bad, and after a couple of those up pops one of Pearl Jam with Neil Young doing it. Guess he needed to show them how to do it right ... well I've seen Neil rip the strings off his guitar at the end of that song but with Pearl Jam he got them so wound up they destroyed the stage & their instruments.

This is ROCK

Neil Young & Pearl Jam!

Give us a link to something you've found lately

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:30 PM »

Here's the SNL video. Freakin' Awesome.

Interesting coincidence. I'm working late and just took a break to put on some music and surf the web a bit. I put on Neil Young's latest,  Living With War, then opened up GWTW and here you are.  Smiley

I'm a huge Neil fan. Living with War isn't my favorite, but it has it's charms. What an old coot!

BobFest, that 30th anniversary show, is one of my all time favorite live albums, and I recently got the whole show with a bunch of bonus footage on two DVDs. Turns out Bob Dylan collectors are a lot like kite people. Very generous.  Smiley

The Vedder performance is tops. Man does he look young! On the bonus footage he can be seen at the rehearsals hunkered down watching with something like biblical awe as Neil, Bob Dyaln, Eric Clapton, George Harrison,  Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn, etc. Goof off and run through some tunes.

After that show Neil toured with Booker T & the MGs (the house band for the event) and I hear the shows were amazing.

As for something new...

Well,  Ani is obscure enough to be new to most people.

Ani DiFranco Shameless

Ani Difranco is my favorite musician by far. This song is kinda odd and raunchy, but a classic.

This one is a bit more palatable for some. Doesn't fit in a rock & roll thread... Really old video, but great performance.

Ani DiFranco - 32 Flavors (HQ)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:38 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00 AM »

My daughter attempts to keep me "up to date".

Her latest contribution (previously VAST and Muse), is at this link below.

MGMT "Kids" Video

It's got over 16 Megahits. I really like it. It's a hint of the 60s with the current house/party feel to it. It's basically 2 guys musically, but they are quite into the art aspect of all their videos.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SKITCH
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 02:47 AM »

I'm sure some of you must have heard of him...but I just found him tonight!!

Been waiting for the "next Stevie Ray"  Wink ...  This guy is amazing. Huh  Can't wait to see him live.

Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe (External Embedding Disabled)

Joe Bonamassa Live - If Heartaches Were Nickels

Patrick

pgibble on the "old" forum

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way.

Charlie Dunton
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:21 AM »

This guy is amazing. Huh  Can't wait to see him live.

Yea, to bad the closest to me is Denver

link to some good audio clips
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:27 AM by kiteking » Logged

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:10 AM »

Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson are putting on a show this fall here. Oughta be awesome. Smiley

"Do what you like"
ainokea

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:11 PM »

After watching the PBS show on Neil Young I went looking to find the Saturday Night Live version of Rockin' in the Free World, a memorable performance. Not on You Tube though, but a lot of great Neil stuff ... which lead into most of the performances off the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary celebration. One of the best off that was Eddie Vedder's rendition of Masters of War. So of course that led into a few versions of Pearl Jam covering Rockin' in the Free World. Not too bad, and after a couple of those up pops one of Pearl Jam with Neil Young doing it. Guess he needed to show them how to do it right ... well I've seen Neil rip the strings off his guitar at the end of that song but with Pearl Jam he got them so wound up they destroyed the stage & their instruments.

This is ROCK

Neil Young & Pearl Jam!

Give us a link to something you've found lately

I was never a Neil Young fan, but, one thing I can say is that he still can
make an axe scream, and hang with todays rockers, no problem.
That was a very cool video.

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:41 PM »

I've been a Niel Young fan for a long time. I'm also a big Lowell George fan.  Cool
Little Feat,Bonnie Raitt- Dixie Chicken

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
indigo_wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:28 PM »

Neil Young?  "Like A Hurricane" for purely sentimental reasons. 

For guitar work, I would give a lot to hear this live again.... headphones just don't do the same job of raising the hairs.

Jim Weider - Big Foot

Listening to this late at night on two-lane backroads will get you cited when you start realizing that are you no longer in control of the gearshift or the right pedal.  Undecided

ATB,
Sam
rxburner
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37 PM »

It is still hard to beat the "Classics"'

George and Ringo, w/Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Elton John....

Now that's Rock and Roll
Rx
DWayne

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 05:04 PM »

Speaking of classics, Alvin Lee is a classic.

ALVIN LEE - TEN YEARS AFTER / WOODSTOCK 1969

And almost 40 yrs. later

Alvin Lee - Slow Blues In C

He still rocks.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document