GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather!!!!  (Read 913 times)
TJC
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 10, 2013, 05:53 AM »

The last three weeks the weather has been anything but cooperative. With the work schedule, I have evenings and weekends to play. First, a series of late day thunderstorms took out the flying time. Then came the lull - no wind for the  better part of a week. Followed by the monsoons - day after day of torrential rain. That led to fields that were flooded or too wet to use. Then a bumper crop of mosquitos and deer flys just throw in another level of hell.  Now back to late day boomers over last three days with the same predicted for the next several days.

Right now i'd settle for typical HHH summer weather. But not happenin" round here right now.

Frustrating!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:44 AM »

Summer is the worst season to be out flying...    Embarrassed

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14 AM »

Summer is the worst season to be out flying...    Embarrassed

Summer is the best time at the Coast. Hot inland temps make for a nice on-shore flow.
CV

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

alien

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:29 AM »

Its cold over here,but how the hell do some of you fly in snow?
It must be hard to cope with and your fingers?

Shocked
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 08:22 AM »

Usually for me the weather turns to the opposite that i would like for testing.
If i build a low wind kite, its blowing, if i build a strong wind kite, its nothing. For weeks....
trigger

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:09 PM »

I feel ya... hot sticky, STORMS, no wind... AHHHHH!  Cry

I"m home for lunch and it is almost VENT winds! I work until 11pm  Cry

Now as for winter... I ROCK THE SNOW! Ever see the snow around a bird feeder?  that's what my field looks like, foot prints everywhere!  I made it out in  6 degreesF.  If it's snowing, it's OK... until you sit down in the car!  My jacket crunched a few times getting into the car.

Take what you can get! Smiley
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22 PM »

The weather does not care that we are needing a kite fix but it occasionally slacks, which allows us to come out of our caves even if the weather makes us  run back inside immediately. But there is way to outwit the weather! 

The secret is to retire - so that you can fly any time it suits you. Have you ever felt that the weather is always warm and sunny while you are looking out the window of your office? Well, it's true. I used to sit in the office, peering out the window - watching "just the right wind" while I looked at my pile of insurance stuff and, one day, it struck me right in the face - WHY wasn't I out there flying? So I retired and now I can go to the local parks all day without dodging the soccer, baseball, football and all of those silly, so silly "sports". I go out to the wide open fields to fly my best stuff and I don't have to YAK YAK with those so called "sportsmen" - cause they AIN't there. Soon the economy will crumble and you will have all the time you want to fly. Wind is free - why aren't you ? 

Stoney     
alien

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:06 AM »

Stoney,
youve got it all worked out.... Cool
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37 AM »

The secret is to retire -

Stoney     

That is exactly why I retired in 2006. Pesky job was cutting into my kite flying time.

Priorities!
CV

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

rudyy
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29 AM »

I live in NY and fly pretty much throughout the whole year from -20 to 90F.  The only time I do not fly is during the rainy day or when wind is at 0mph or > 20mph.

Rudy
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18 AM »

Usually for me the weather turns to the opposite that i would like for testing.
If i build a low wind kite, its blowing, if i build a strong wind kite, its nothing. For weeks....

Yeah Murphy most often gets the credit, truth is kiteflyers have a stronger ability to change the weather to their detriment   Sad 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document